Graal Forums  

Go Back   Graal Forums > PlayerWorlds > Era Main Forum
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-31-2008, 06:08 AM
the fake one
cbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to cbk1994
Why I believe Era fails

Since the beginning, one of the great things about Graal is that much of it is about skill, not how much you play. Someone who logs on for the first time can kill someone who has been playing for years because of skill.

This is harder to accomplish on modern servers, and servers where there are items that you can gather, as opposed to Unholy Nation, Classic, and other classic-themed servers, where the main goal is, for the most part, questing and PKing.

Era used to be better than it is now. Remember when sparring was about skill, not your gun? I remember when there were people who had the most expensive guns in the game that I could defeat with an Uzi. It used to be based on skill. Now, after several years, I get on and the only thing I can do is grind and grind to make money. Once I've made money, I can buy a gun. But why should I even bother buying a gun? Why don't I just keep making money until I get enough money to get a gun that is good enough to actually defeat someone?

A while back, the highest difference in gun damage was somewhere around 4 or 5. Now it's up to 10 or so (yes, there were guns that did significantly more, but they shot slow). Somehow, in the transition from 100 HP to 10 HP, guns started taking less hits to kill people. Then, in the transition back to 100 HP, it took even less hits to kill. The term "lossy compression" comes to mind.

No matter your skill level, there is almost no way you can defeat someone who has a gun that does 20+ damage, shoots as fast as an AK47 or faster, and reloads in very little time.

And, while I'm describing how Era fails, I'll bring up quests. If you've done any of the quests on Era, you'll know where I'm coming from. First; what kind of prize is one extra HP out of one hundred? That would be absolutely fine if there was only 10 HP, but not out of one hundred. Why should I do more than one quest? 101 HP is generally enough to give me one extra hit, so what good do the extra 3 HP do for me?

I'm sure there are many other ways that Era fails, but these are the ones that really hit me after logging on for less than ten minutes.

Please don't turn this in to a spam thread about Era, Utopia, or any other "Era clones"
Old 05-31-2008, 06:24 AM
100 IFP and runnin'
Nabru is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Nabru
In before flame war.
Old 05-31-2008, 06:27 AM
the fake one
cbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nabru View Post
In before flame war.
Hopefully people can manage to keep this sane. I doubt it.
Old 05-31-2008, 06:35 AM
Banned
xAzerothx has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Send a message via AIM to xAzerothx Send a message via MSN to xAzerothx Send a message via Yahoo to xAzerothx
Why did they go from 100 to 10 to 100 hp?
Old 05-31-2008, 06:41 AM
the fake one
Quote:
Originally Posted by xAzerothx View Post
Why did they go from 100 to 10 to 100 hp?
I have no idea. But, guns used to do 10/100 damage. Now they do 20/104.
Old 05-31-2008, 07:34 AM
Inactive Graal Player
grawlgamer is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to grawlgamer Send a message via MSN to grawlgamer
I can own with one handgun, No lie,

When did it become 100hp?

Being female must be an issue for you every month though, right?
Old 05-31-2008, 07:59 AM
the fake one
Quote:
Originally Posted by grawlgamer View Post
I can own with one handgun, No lie,

When did it become 100hp?
You obviously haven't been on for a while. You can no longer own with one handgun. Guaranteed.
Old 05-31-2008, 08:03 AM
Inactive Graal Player
grawlgamer is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to grawlgamer Send a message via MSN to grawlgamer
The secret is you calculate where they are going to be, and then shoot that way, they run into it, never waste a bullet, never spam to keep them down, every bullet should hit.

But if what you say is true thats probably not gonna work anymore now is it

Being female must be an issue for you every month though, right?
Old 05-31-2008, 09:51 AM
ǝɔɐɹq ʎןɹnɔ
Crow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond repute
We went from 10 to 100 again to have more variety with gun damage. The problem with this idea is that we introduced it before we changed the damage of all guns to fit nicely with this system, I guess the plan still is to do this after the reset. We also plan to get rid of the "gun > skill" problem.
About the quests -> there will be more.

Edit: Oya, you can actually own with a single handgun, it still works.
Old 05-31-2008, 02:16 PM
Petrification of a Newbie
Darklux is a jewel in the roughDarklux is a jewel in the rough
Send a message via ICQ to Darklux Send a message via AIM to Darklux Send a message via Yahoo to Darklux
Why do you reset era monthly anyways? Insane... I bet everytime you do that, you loose players.
Old 05-31-2008, 02:22 PM
ǝɔɐɹq ʎןɹnɔ
Crow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darklux View Post
Why do you reset era monthly anyways? Insane... I bet everytime you do that, you loose players.
We dont reset monthly, and this time it's because of the duping issue which has been around for several months.
Old 05-31-2008, 04:39 PM
Banned
xAzerothx has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Send a message via AIM to xAzerothx Send a message via MSN to xAzerothx Send a message via Yahoo to xAzerothx
If you can own with a handgun how come when I go on Era I see 25 people with these bigass guns?
Old 05-31-2008, 04:45 PM
Boom!
Stephen has much to be proud ofStephen has much to be proud ofStephen has much to be proud ofStephen has much to be proud ofStephen has much to be proud ofStephen has much to be proud of
I think a market, which introduces controlled supply and demand of items, adds a different level of interest to the age old "skill" game. I personally enjoy games with markets - I've always been good at selling and buying, and I love the challenge of making connections in your own favour.

If the problem is people who have a higher "market skill" which allows them better guns then seperate them - not forcibly - give them a reason to seperate. Make a new area which is harder, either because of tougher players or another factor (NPCs) but also has better lewts than the previous place.

This gives the new players room to grow and the old players a continual challenge.
Old 05-31-2008, 05:30 PM
the fake one
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crow View Post
Oya, you can actually own with a single handgun, it still works.
Yes, you can, if the other person is not moving and is not shooting. Or is shooting the wrong way. But basically, any ***** who knows how to walk and shoot could defeat someone with a hand gun if they have a better gun.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darklux View Post
Not really monthly, but a lot. This is the problem with a lot of classic servers; they reset a lot. The first time they reset (a year ago?) it was needed, but now they're going to reset again .... not needed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
I think a market, which introduces controlled supply and demand of items, adds a different level of interest to the age old "skill" game. I personally enjoy games with markets - I've always been good at selling and buying, and I love the challenge of making connections in your own favour.

If the problem is people who have a higher "market skill" which allows them better guns then seperate them - not forcibly - give them a reason to seperate. Make a new area which is harder, either because of tougher players or another factor (NPCs) but also has better lewts than the previous place.

This gives the new players room to grow and the old players a continual challenge.
Era doesn't have a market. You work, and buy a gun. That's really all there is. If you want to be good, grind and grind.
Old 05-31-2008, 07:16 PM
ǝɔɐɹq ʎןɹnɔ
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbk1994 View Post
not needed.
You wish -_-