Graal Forums  

Go Back   Graal Forums > PlayerWorlds > PlayerWorlds Main Forum
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 07-17-2002, 12:37 PM
Forbidden
G_yoshi is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to G_yoshi
Scribes! (Saving Feature for Doragon Koden)

Below is an excerpt from my RP text that I'm working on...the update of my text will be released tomorrow for those that care.

Scribes (Saving Feature)

Scribes will be how players save their character during online play. Scribes record all variables, flags, and strings the player has. When players resume playing after disconnecting from the server will start out at the last scribe they recorded at. Scribes also double as documenters of a player’s adventures and/or major events. These things can then be published into a book that other players may read; it can also be published at anytime and even updated! Since that probably a good majority of these stories will be adventure novels, the way they open will be determined by how the player began playing in the actual game. Some will travel from a far away land, others will have simply grown up in this world and start from there. As well as adventure novels, we plan on adding in other types of player-made books such as Informative books which may explain how to do something like farming. Players may also add in special comments to their stories such as tips on beating a certain type of monster and what not. Depending upon what a player does will determine how the story will come out…for those that have played a Mad-Lib-type game before that is how the stories will be “saved” so to speak…of course, we’ll edit them so they at least flow well. And yes, even those who are hell-bent on behaving in the fashion of a PlayerKiller will have stories that reflect their actions…although not desirable it may be implemented. I’m am even juggling the idea of “love” stories for those that want to venture into that realm as far as marriage and even rescuing a lost loved-one.

I haven't seen this been done yet...not even in other RPG-like games. While this probably will be a very daunting task, it isn't impossible to do

Please post feedback, I'm eager for suggestions
Old 07-17-2002, 12:43 PM
Prepare to be monopolized
Ghost Pirate is on a distinguished road
Re: Scribes! (Saving Feature for Doragon Koden)

Quote:
Originally posted by G_yoshi
Below is an excerpt from my RP text that I'm working on...the update of my text will be released tomorrow for those that care.

Scribes (Saving Feature)

Scribes will be how players save their character during online play. Scribes record all variables, flags, and strings the player has. When players resume playing after disconnecting from the server will start out at the last scribe they recorded at. Scribes also double as documenters of a player’s adventures and/or major events. These things can then be published into a book that other players may read; it can also be published at anytime and even updated! Since that probably a good majority of these stories will be adventure novels, the way they open will be determined by how the player began playing in the actual game. Some will travel from a far away land, others will have simply grown up in this world and start from there. As well as adventure novels, we plan on adding in other types of player-made books such as Informative books which may explain how to do something like farming. Players may also add in special comments to their stories such as tips on beating a certain type of monster and what not. Depending upon what a player does will determine how the story will come out…for those that have played a Mad-Lib-type game before that is how the stories will be “saved” so to speak…of course, we’ll edit them so they at least flow well. And yes, even those who are hell-bent on behaving in the fashion of a PlayerKiller will have stories that reflect their actions…although not desirable it may be implemented. I’m am even juggling the idea of “love” stories for those that want to venture into that realm as far as marriage and even rescuing a lost loved-one.

I haven't seen this been done yet...not even in other RPG-like games. While this probably will be a very daunting task, it isn't impossible to do

Please post feedback, I'm eager for suggestions

That would rather be annoying

I mean if you get booted off or crash or something you'd have start over.
Or do I have this all wrong?

Help fight the war on idiotism! Make your own War with IDIOTISM signature and spread the word.
Old 07-17-2002, 12:58 PM
Forbidden
G_yoshi is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to G_yoshi
Re: Re: Scribes! (Saving Feature for Doragon Koden)

Quote:
Originally posted by Ghost Pirate

That would rather be annoying

I mean if you get booted off or crash or something you'd have start over.
Or do I have this all wrong?
No no...you have to visit a scribe anytime you want to save your progress...I plan on circumventing the GServer's "save anywhere" ability...this will hopefully hinder PKing to some extent. Just like in console RPGs, you should save often

If you get booted, sorry Think of it as if the game froze or locked up for what ever reason Yes, that sucks, but life goes on. Basically, all the NPC will do is just drop a string in your account that tells the control-NPC when you log on to make sure you are warped to the correct save spot...the only bad thing is if the NPC Server goes down...well, you'll figure it out

Personally, I like the idea because you control how the story goes from beginning to end. Getting the NPC to actually write the story will be tricky...savelog comes to mind in doing that, but I'm not sure that will work well
Old 07-17-2002, 02:43 PM
sage_chaozu will become famous soon enough
Send a message via ICQ to sage_chaozu Send a message via AIM to sage_chaozu Send a message via MSN to sage_chaozu Send a message via Yahoo to sage_chaozu
Errr... it has been done in an online game, Ultima Online. You can buy books and write stories in them, then give them to people.
Old 07-17-2002, 02:48 PM
Xbob42 is on a distinguished road
Thumbs down

I don't like this feature.
Old 07-17-2002, 03:07 PM
Beachbum is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Beachbum
Quote:
Originally posted by Xbob42
I don't like this feature.
Old 07-17-2002, 09:33 PM
OldbieDarkHero is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to OldbieDarkHero
who accually plays that server any more, i played it for 10 minutes and i said naa............
Old 07-17-2002, 09:47 PM
I am X-Mann
WHIPENIE4 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to WHIPENIE4 Send a message via AIM to WHIPENIE4
I like it, its better then being bored on all the other servers and it gives you something to do other then pking.

Good Job G-Yoshi.

- X-Mann (Blessing Graal since 1998) Haha

- Graal 2000 Project (Contact Me to get Apart of this expierience

Windows Vista. Graal. Not a Good Combination.
Old 07-17-2002, 11:21 PM
prozacboy666 will become famous soon enough
You just had to tell them didn't ya? XD j\k.. Well as far as i know i cant wait to see what other tricks Yoshi has up his sleeve. And i know he had many. One think i would like to see happen is more people coming to DK.

Yoshi am i still going to be staff when this new plan comes out?
~Kain
Old 07-18-2002, 12:05 AM
Darth Cucumber
Falcor is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Falcor Send a message via AIM to Falcor Send a message via MSN to Falcor Send a message via Yahoo to Falcor
I can see this causing some problems. My opinion is that you shouldn't do it. But this is your call.

subliminal message: 1+1=3
Old 07-18-2002, 12:41 AM
Telmont Bandit
draygin is on a distinguished road
If you do this you should make it so it doesnt work on Trial accounts or Stefan will probably become very annoyed since you're going exactly what he's trying to estabilsh about stuff not saving for them.

I stole Spanky's gold!
Old 07-18-2002, 01:19 AM
LordZen is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to LordZen Send a message via AIM to LordZen Send a message via Yahoo to LordZen
When a trial account re-logs on, all his attributes are reset, including flags. So it wouldnt really matter because they wouldnt have any flags to be able to save progress.

Click the picture!

FYI: I've pretty much retired from this game as it stands. Yep..

Contact Info
AIM: xxwarlordzenxx (not used so much anymore)
MSN: warlordzen(a)hotmail.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott
I heard they were pregnant from the same father from a VERY reliable tabloid a couple years ago.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GryffonDurime
Etien, you are the best proof I have ever seen that the human gene pool has algee.
Old 07-18-2002, 01:28 AM
Telmont Bandit
Quote:
Originally posted by LordZen
When a trial account re-logs on, all his attributes are reset, including flags. So it wouldnt really matter because they wouldnt have any flags to be able to save progress.
Think about what you're saying. When they log off all attributes are reset. You come to a script that saves all your flags before you log off. Then when you log on you go back to the NPC and get all of your flags back.

I stole Spanky's gold!
Old 07-18-2002, 01:57 AM
LordZen is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to LordZen Send a message via AIM to LordZen Send a message via Yahoo to LordZen
Yes I'm aware of that, that information would obviously be stored in your flag list. You restart and you now do not have a set of flags to activate because they were deleted.

Click the picture!

FYI: I've pretty much retired from this game as it stands. Yep..

Contact Info
AIM: xxwarlordzenxx (not used so much anymore)
MSN: warlordzen(a)hotmail.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott
I heard they were pregnant from the same father from a VERY reliable tabloid a couple years ago.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GryffonDurime
Etien, you are the best proof I have ever seen that the human gene pool has algee.
Old 07-18-2002, 02:00 AM
Telmont Bandit
Quote:
Originally posted by LordZen
Yes I'm aware of that, that information would obviously be stored in your flag list. You restart and you now do not have a set of flags to activate because they were deleted.
I dont know that much about scripting so I'm going to assume you're right and if that is indeed the case then there's no real problem in it.

I stole Spanky's gold!