Graal Forums  

Go Back   Graal Forums > General Forums > Graal Main Forum (English)
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Closed Thread

Old 07-21-2009, 06:28 PM
Forum Moderator
TSAdmin is a splendid one to beholdTSAdmin is a splendid one to beholdTSAdmin is a splendid one to beholdTSAdmin is a splendid one to beholdTSAdmin is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyndzey View Post
Applications are not the ideal way to select someone for a global staff position. PWA members need to be fair and respectful to players, a quality that cannot be represented through applications but only through personal interaction. The PWA hiring section probably should have never been added, as it would be much better for a person to be selected by global staff based on how they interact with the community.

Congrats to Xor, and good luck.
Beat me to a response, but I honestly couldn't have worded it any better.
· User Agreement · Code of Conduct · Forum Rules ·
· Graal Support · Administrative Contacts ·
Old 07-21-2009, 06:33 PM
Bell has much to be proud ofBell has much to be proud ofBell has much to be proud ofBell has much to be proud ofBell has much to be proud ofBell has much to be proud of
Quote:
Haha...

Applications are not the ideal way to select someone for a global staff position. PWA members need to be fair and respectful to players, a quality that cannot be represented through applications but only through personal interaction. The PWA hiring section probably should have never been added, as it would be much better for a person to be selected by global staff based on how they interact with the community.
My sentiments exactly. While the applications may provide us with players that we may not of already noticed the fact remains that the primary job of the Playerworld Administration is to provide support to players that have issues regarding things that happen to them on servers that they feel the local staff did not handle correctly. We are the judges of those actions.

The people that stand out are those that are usually at the forefront in handling player problems on servers on a daily basis. We deal with them constantly and the proof is in their actions. No application can show us how they handle graal life situations.

I am highly skeptical at using the judgement of the forum users or server players as a basis for judging a PWA as its well known that usually only those that didn't get the result they wanted during an investigation are the ones that speak the loudest.

My hopes are that once Xor has become more familiar with his new surroundings that the addition of another member will help us to have better coverage of all servers. Right now we're spread pretty thin so its difficult for us to address all the problems that the players would like to see us improve upon. I would like to see the addition of 1 or 2 more actually even though its not needed on support itself.
Old 07-21-2009, 06:35 PM
Prince
MysticX2X will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Haha...

Congrats to Xor, and good luck.
Do real jobs hire you just because they think you're good or require a resume first to know your credentials, and then move on from there?

Clockwork made a good point up there too.

former acc: mystic2k

RIP Matt (NBK)
Old 07-21-2009, 06:37 PM
The Blackswan
pooper200000 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to pooper200000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bell View Post
stuffz.
Actions speak louder than words?
Old 07-21-2009, 06:50 PM
The secret of NIMH
Robin will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to Robin
Cool

Old 07-21-2009, 07:08 PM
Master Tux
WanDaMan is a jewel in the roughWanDaMan is a jewel in the rough
Send a message via MSN to WanDaMan
I place confidence in Xor, enough to say that I do believe he is capable of dealing with PWA enquiries. Congratulations & goodluck!
Old 07-21-2009, 07:51 PM
Woman
Lyndzey is a jewel in the roughLyndzey is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticX2X View Post
Do real jobs hire you just because they think you're good or require a resume first to know your credentials, and then move on from there?
This isn't the real world. This is an online gaming community where we already know the majority of players, not a country of 300 million people where we have to go off of resumes because we haven't been able to observe the person interacting with others.

I would say that becoming a PWA member is more of getting a promotion from a server staff job, as I believe all global staff members were at one point staff somewhere. This actually does parallel real jobs somewhat, as we are typically promoted based on our interactions with others, not because we sent in an application.
Old 07-21-2009, 09:00 PM
The secret of NIMH
Robin will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to Robin
Quote:
This isn't the real world. This is an online gaming community where we already know the majority of players, not a country of 300 million people where we have to go off of resumes because we haven't been able to observe the person interacting with others.

I would say that becoming a PWA member is more of getting a promotion from a server staff job, as I believe all global staff members were at one point staff somewhere. This actually does parallel real jobs somewhat, as we are typically promoted based on our interactions with others, not because we sent in an application.
Unless you're required to apply for your new role in the same way as new applicants to meet with EU Law.

Old 07-21-2009, 09:20 PM
\(^∀^)メ(≧∇≦)ノ
Hiro has a spectacular aura aboutHiro has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to Hiro
Quote:

i think you are trying to create a reason for PWA to hire people they like, rather than people who have applied

applications should be used as a way for the PWA to know which people want into the PWA, like in real jobs where you apply to make it known that you want the job. it shouldn't be said that applications are useless or unnecessary, because they aren't. further, once the application is done, only then can you really look at the person (interview) and then make a rational decision based upon the credentials and the impression

just deciding that someone is good enough because you "know them" or "have seen them at work" isn't as great as when someone applies, waits, shows themselves as competent, and then is hired. i could care less if xor is PWA or not - i don't know a single thing about him, nor a single thing about why he was hired, other than he worked on zodiac and was apparently helpful to players. i also know FAQs on UN that help players out - why don't you go and watch them? i mean honestly, how much time did the PWA stay on RC just watching for people's performances? you couldn't have been looking at his posts, as he didn't have any, and unless you were playing graal with him (which no one with critical-thinking skills does apparently) or talking with him through RC, which is to say that members of the PWA took time out of their work on graal specifically to get to know xor so they could potentially hire him...i don't see that being done to anyone else, nor have i heard about that being done to anyone else, which suggests that xor might be friends with members of the PWA, and friend's in high places means you have connections to resources that others don't enjoy. it's still clear that those who applied couldn't hold a candle to what xor had to offer - and he didn't even need to apply

why didn't you guys go talk and get to know clockwork on his server so you could potentially hire him too? at least he took the time to write an application
Old 07-21-2009, 09:36 PM
Ignorance has no future
Unkownsoldier is on a distinguished road
Hiro I don't think you get it. Look at Major League Baseball, at one time everyone starts out playing in the minors, which in this case are normal servers. Assume Rookie league is a newly bought server, A, is a under construction server, AA, is a hosted server, AAA, is a classic server. Xor worked his way all the way to AAA, because people saw how good he was. In this point in time, the managers (player world team) noticed that he could really help out, so they called him up, and got him to sign a major league contract. It doesn't take an application to be a major leaguer, all it takes is skill.
Old 07-21-2009, 09:37 PM
Zormite
BigBear3 has a reputation beyond reputeBigBear3 has a reputation beyond reputeBigBear3 has a reputation beyond reputeBigBear3 has a reputation beyond reputeBigBear3 has a reputation beyond reputeBigBear3 has a reputation beyond reputeBigBear3 has a reputation beyond reputeBigBear3 has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unkownsoldier View Post
Hiro I don't think you get it. Look at Major League Baseball, at one time everyone starts out playing in the minors, which in this case are normal servers. Assume Rookie league is a newly bought server, A, is a under construction server, AA, is a hosted server, AAA, is a classic server. Xor worked his way all the way to AAA, because people saw how good he was. In this point in time, the managers (player world team) noticed that he could really help out, so they called him up, and got him to sign a major league contract. It doesn't take an application to be a major leaguer, all it takes is skill.
How much are we paying him a year?
Old 07-21-2009, 09:45 PM
Zodiac-Dev Devolopment
Skatertay is on a distinguished road
jesus why does everyone like to complain.
Old 07-21-2009, 09:45 PM
Zormite
BigBear3 has a reputation beyond reputeBigBear3 has a reputation beyond reputeBigBear3 has a reputation beyond reputeBigBear3 has a reputation beyond reputeBigBear3 has a reputation beyond reputeBigBear3 has a reputation beyond reputeBigBear3 has a reputation beyond reputeBigBear3 has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skatertay View Post
jesus why does everyone like to complain.
Welcome!
Old 07-21-2009, 09:49 PM
ᶘ ᵒᴥᵒᶅ...ᶘ ಠᴥಠᶅ❤...ℳℴℯ
Clockwork has a brilliant futureClockwork has a brilliant futureClockwork has a brilliant futureClockwork has a brilliant futureClockwork has a brilliant futureClockwork has a brilliant futureClockwork has a brilliant futureClockwork has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unkownsoldier View Post
Xor did not work his all the way to AAA. he started on it during its AAA.
Old 07-21-2009, 09:53 PM
Zodiac-Dev Devolopment
Skatertay is on a distinguished road
As far as I put it, sure I like to complain once in a while but is it worth it to go on and on about it on the forums till the topic is closed? Yes I am complaining as I speak about those who flame the subject with stupid non-sense. Congratulate him and go on with your daily lives.
Closed Thread