Graal Forums  

Go Back   Graal Forums > Development Forums > Level Design
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 05-29-2009, 04:39 AM
Level Designer
Aknts will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to Aknts
Level I made awhile back and recently found!

Check it out.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	graal.gif
Views:	179
Size:	43.5 KB
ID:	48574  
Old 05-29-2009, 08:00 AM
Vega001 is on a distinguished road
Aknts,

In my opinion, what you have posted is a good layout for a tropical setting or part of an archipelago. I have attached two images. The first is a simple review of your level. In it, I circled tile errors in red. Most of these are tiles with parts of a grass background that are placed next to sand tiles and therefore do not match very well. To resolve this, you can add a layer of grass around the perimeter of the house so that these tiles then match with the background. Another way to resolve this would be to use an NPC with a transparencied image of roofing corners or pole bottoms and placing them on top of a plain sand tile. If you know how to do the latter method, go ahead and do so; if you do not, then I would suggest using the first method I mentioned for its ease.

In yellow I circled areas of design interest. In the top right of the level, you use deep (dark) sand to encircle the building. As I see it, this dark/deep sand is really wet sand that was made wet as a result of the incoming surf from the surrounding body of water. By using these wet sand tiles farther inland, you imply that water reaches that far inland but does not run through the building, rather it goes around, and I am not sure that your tiles illustrate that implication very well. That being said, I suggest you remove the dark sand tiles and keep refrain from placing them too far from the shoreline on both parts of the land.

In the bottom left, I circled in dark yellow parts of deep water that I think you placed too close to the shore. While, logically, it is completely possible for such deep water to be as close to the shore as you have placed it, it is unlikely and does not come across as very aesthetically appealing; therefore, I suggest you move the deep water in those areas farther from the shore.

The second attached image is a section of the pics1.png tileset. In red, I outlined sand tiles that I suggest you use to detail the parts of your land that are covered in dry sand. At the bottom of the section, outlined in violet, are shallow water tiles that I suggest you use to detail parts of the shallow water surrounding the shore. In the top left of the tileset section, outlined in yellow are grass tiles that you can use to detail the small grass area of your level around the building. As your level appears to be tropical in nature, I would refrain from placing a lot of trees, bushes, or rocks, and keep grass detailing light with small weeds and walking stones.

Again, what you have shown appears to be a good layout for a level. You should now focus on detailing the level and correcting the few tile errors if you want to complete it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	V001-Aknts-Level1-Review1.PNG
Views:	146
Size:	77.6 KB
ID:	48583   Click image for larger version

Name:	V001-Aknts-Level1-Suggestion1.PNG
Views:	124
Size:	49.6 KB
ID:	48584  
Old 05-29-2009, 09:13 AM
Sr Marketing Strategist
Elk has a brilliant futureElk has a brilliant futureElk has a brilliant futureElk has a brilliant futureElk has a brilliant futureElk has a brilliant futureElk has a brilliant future
Send a message via ICQ to Elk Send a message via AIM to Elk Send a message via MSN to Elk Send a message via Yahoo to Elk
I think people are way too critical when it comes to LATing
it's not NPCing
so how should he fix errors that come with the tileset?
Not too dramatic IMO

Old 05-29-2009, 10:34 AM
Prinking Droblem
Geno has much to be proud ofGeno has much to be proud ofGeno has much to be proud ofGeno has much to be proud ofGeno has much to be proud ofGeno has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to Geno
lol. you used to be the moderator of this section (right? i have bad memory brains) and here you go tryin to show off your level you made 1000 yrs ago.

2sexy
Old 05-29-2009, 12:28 PM
Rufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud of
Can you please sit back for a moment and look at how your water detailing is. It doesn't look good aesthetically (that style never does) and it certainly doesn't look practical (imagine moving over that on player?) so why people insist on using this ridiculous "style" is beyond me.
Old 05-29-2009, 12:30 PM
:pluffy:
Crono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond repute
There is no detailing.
Old 05-29-2009, 12:58 PM
Prinking Droblem
Geno has much to be proud ofGeno has much to be proud ofGeno has much to be proud ofGeno has much to be proud ofGeno has much to be proud ofGeno has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rufus View Post
why people insist on using this ridiculous "style" is beyond me.
cause its purdy
Old 05-29-2009, 12:59 PM
Rufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geno View Post
cause its purdy
It isn't though, it's just random and doesn't flow very well.
Old 05-29-2009, 01:06 PM
Prinking Droblem
let the rhythm take you over Bailamos'!
Old 05-29-2009, 03:34 PM
Will work for food. Maybe
DustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to DustyPorViva Send a message via MSN to DustyPorViva
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elk View Post
it's not NPCing
What's the difference? Why should one expect criticism and the other not?
Quote:
Not too dramatic IMO
There are two very easy ways to fix these problems with lack of needed tiles: use NPCs, or use addtiledef2. I prefer the latter in simple situations like his own.
Old 05-29-2009, 03:39 PM
Era Manager
DuBsTeRmAn is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to DuBsTeRmAn
It's not bad.. But where are the details? It looks so.. plain :O
Old 05-29-2009, 03:48 PM
Pelikano has a little shameless behaviour in the past
I like it very much..
It being so plain gives it a... some cool effect
Old 05-29-2009, 06:01 PM
Level Designer
Aknts will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to Aknts
Oh yea I never finished it.. lol my bad. That's why there is no detail at all.
Old 05-29-2009, 07:04 PM
Vega001 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
it's not NPCing
Not too dramatic IMO
As I already mentioned in my first post of this thread, one way to fix those particular errors that come with the tileset is by adding a layer of grass around the house (surrounding the tiles in question). The other way is using a transparent image NPC. Otherwise you could use a different tileset as Dusty pointed out, but I find that not all tilesets share full compatability so there might be problems with choosing a inconvenient one.

I also consider the use of NPC images within a level and any appropriate coding (setimgpart and setcoloreffect) part of leveling.
Old 05-29-2009, 11:51 PM
Rogue LAT
warriors94 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to warriors94 Send a message via MSN to warriors94
Quote:
it's not NPCing
Not too dramatic IMO
Thats like saying grahpics should only be made by using paint. Do you really think any of the really good GFXers do that? Didn't think so.
I like the level itself as it has a nice layout.