Graal Forums  

Go Back   Graal Forums > PlayerWorlds > PlayerWorlds Main Forum
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 07-14-2008, 08:39 PM
Stan?
TheStan is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to TheStan Send a message via MSN to TheStan
I've Been Bored...

Recently, I've thought a bit too myself..."What would be something interesting?" to make on the Graal platform as a server. There have been maybe hundreds of different ideas for server designs for Graal so far...while many have sadly just been replicas of the past. I myself have tried in the past to design a server which strayed from the pack in terms of designs, looks and playability (Stone Henge, Dual Ortus, etc.). But, each and every time I've completely failed lacking the one ability completely necessary to complete such an idea. Also, I'd also lacked any really good development support besides a few people.

So, I've come to a thought..."I really want to make something that will draw people in.". It seems as if graphics are all there is to draw someone into a server...but, if graphics draw someone in...what keeps them there for the whole ride? Is it the systems? The way the server feels? The community? Through maybe a year or so of practicing and coding here and there I feel I've learned enough about Graal Script that I could completely code an entire server. However, how would I sell this off to someone...? What if I coded an entire server, and then lacked someone to make some decent graphics for it?

Maybe it's just my own boredom...but I've been coding and designing some ideas for a Steampunk server.

This isn't really well put together, or made to make you think much...I suppose I'm just venting.
Old 07-15-2008, 12:11 AM
ᶘ ᵒᴥᵒᶅ...ᶘ ಠᴥಠᶅ❤...ℳℴℯ
Clockwork has a brilliant futureClockwork has a brilliant futureClockwork has a brilliant futureClockwork has a brilliant futureClockwork has a brilliant futureClockwork has a brilliant futureClockwork has a brilliant futureClockwork has a brilliant future
Vent considered.

If you scripted an excellent server, what graphics artist wouldn't want to work there, where, their art would be appreciated?

I dont really see the use of just saying "steampunk server". Why don't you explain on your idea?
Old 07-15-2008, 12:30 AM
That one guy...
zokemon is a jewel in the roughzokemon is a jewel in the rough
Send a message via ICQ to zokemon Send a message via AIM to zokemon Send a message via MSN to zokemon Send a message via Yahoo to zokemon
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheStan View Post
However, how would I sell this off to someone...? What if I coded an entire server, and then lacked someone to make some decent graphics for it?
It's happened probably 7 or more times to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clockwork View Post
If you scripted an excellent server, what graphics artist wouldn't want to work there, where, their art would be appreciated?
Lol. I've not heard of many graphic artists that like to work on good servers.

In all honesty, I seriously think that the more skill you have as a scripter, the less help that you can receive in the graphics department on Graal. It's almost like a vex has been put on the whole game or something.
Old 07-15-2008, 12:58 AM
ᶘ ᵒᴥᵒᶅ...ᶘ ಠᴥಠᶅ❤...ℳℴℯ
Clockwork has a brilliant futureClockwork has a brilliant futureClockwork has a brilliant futureClockwork has a brilliant futureClockwork has a brilliant futureClockwork has a brilliant futureClockwork has a brilliant futureClockwork has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by zokemon View Post

In all honesty, I seriously think that the more skill you have as a scripter, the less help that you can receive in the graphics department on Graal. It's almost like a vex has been put on the whole game or something.
I dedicate more of my own time to servers I like more.
Old 07-15-2008, 01:12 AM
Master of Puppets
xXziroXx has a brilliant futurexXziroXx has a brilliant futurexXziroXx has a brilliant futurexXziroXx has a brilliant futurexXziroXx has a brilliant futurexXziroXx has a brilliant futurexXziroXx has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to xXziroXx Send a message via MSN to xXziroXx
Quote:
In all honesty, I seriously think that the more skill you have as a scripter, the less help that you can receive in the graphics department on Graal.
So you're saying I'm a really horrible scripter then?

"A delayed game is eventually good, but a rushed game is forever bad." - Shigeru Miyamoto
Old 07-15-2008, 02:12 AM
Stan?
TheStan is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to TheStan Send a message via MSN to TheStan
Quote:

Lmao, I believe I've had the pleasure of being one of the few "test" people on a few of those ideas. There were some really good ones too, especially Gileada.

Quote:
Vent considered.

I dont really see the use of just saying "steampunk server". Why don't you explain on your idea?
Why thank you. And also if I were to explain it to you we'd have to sit down and I'd have to give you some pictures etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xXziroXx View Post
No, no.
Old 07-15-2008, 03:38 AM
ᶘ ᵒᴥᵒᶅ...ᶘ ಠᴥಠᶅ❤...ℳℴℯ
Quote:
:P

Its okay. I know for a fact that some of the tiles on mythic are taken from a much larger free tileset online for other games, so... :/
Old 07-15-2008, 11:19 AM
That one guy...
Send a message via ICQ to zokemon Send a message via AIM to zokemon Send a message via MSN to zokemon Send a message via Yahoo to zokemon
Quote:
p = The shape is a square
q = The shape is a rectangle
Zero said:
p -> q
If a shape is a square, then the shape is a rectangle.
Ziro said:
q -> p
If a shape is a rectangle, then the shape is a square.

(p -> q) ! (q -> p)
Basically, an implication is not equal to its converse.
Old 07-15-2008, 01:53 PM
Master of Puppets
xXziroXx has a brilliant futurexXziroXx has a brilliant futurexXziroXx has a brilliant futurexXziroXx has a brilliant futurexXziroXx has a brilliant futurexXziroXx has a brilliant futurexXziroXx has a brilliant future
Quote:
Its okay. I know for a fact that some of the tiles on mythic are taken from a much larger free tileset online for other games, so... :/
That's only half true. We use the grass tiles, a path tile, and a rock from a tileset made by an arist named Danc (who makes graphics and release them for anyone to use on a website named lostgarden), and they're not made for any other game - games just use them since Danc is awesome.

So, maybe 5% of our tileset is stuff we haven't made ourselves.

"A delayed game is eventually good, but a rushed game is forever bad." - Shigeru Miyamoto
Old 07-15-2008, 08:49 PM
Incubator
Inverness is a jewel in the roughInverness is a jewel in the rough
And Steampunk means?
Old 07-15-2008, 10:46 PM
Master of Puppets
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inverness View Post
And Steampunk means?
A subgenre of Alternate History; this generally deals with advanced technology in the altered past.

Google <3

Old 07-15-2008, 10:48 PM
Will work for food. Maybe
DustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to DustyPorViva Send a message via MSN to DustyPorViva
Steampunk is like a setting. Era when steam-powered things were at their peak. Dark Cloud 2 is a good example of a steampunk game. Lots of mechanical stuff powered by steam, and the general style of characters(boy... the girl is from the future or something):
Old 07-15-2008, 10:59 PM
ᶘ ᵒᴥᵒᶅ...ᶘ ಠᴥಠᶅ❤...ℳℴℯ
Quote:
That's only half true. We use the grass tiles, a path tile, and a rock from a tileset made by an arist named Danc (who makes graphics and release them for anyone to use on a website named lostgarden), and they're not made for any other game - games just use them since Danc is awesome.

So, maybe 5 of our tileset is stuff we haven't made ourselves.
I know where it came from, having explored there myself quite awhile ago.
He's rather expensive to hire though, I was curious back then. I used to have the same tiles you used, and had edited them to fit on graals tileset. I still have that tileset, but found the tiles really do not suite the style of graal lol. :3
Old 07-15-2008, 11:14 PM
That one guy...
I <3 Dark Cloud.
Old 07-15-2008, 11:23 PM
Will work for food. Maybe
DustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to DustyPorViva Send a message via MSN to DustyPorViva
Quote:
I <3 Dark Cloud.
Heh me too, mainly just the weapon levelling instead of players. I love upgrading a puny sword into a kick-ass black Dark Cloud sword.

Pity they had the wrenches for the boy :/ that sucked.