Graal Forums  

Go Back   Graal Forums > PlayerWorlds > PlayerWorlds Main Forum
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 06-26-2008, 07:42 AM
That one guy...
zokemon is a jewel in the roughzokemon is a jewel in the rough
Send a message via ICQ to zokemon Send a message via AIM to zokemon Send a message via MSN to zokemon Send a message via Yahoo to zokemon
Side Scrolling Server

I've tried and tried and tried have gotten almost next to no help with Atexia in terms of graphics. Because of this, I've been contemplating whether to put the project on hold or not and start on another idea of mine.

The basics of the idea go like this (keep in mind, this aren't the ideas behind Atexia): The server will be a 2D side scrolling RPG style game with a big focus on the combo attack based combat system. Unlike most traditional RPGs though, the character will not level up; rather his weapons, armor and other equipment will. When weapons gain levels, various items can be attached to them to boost their power. When the weapons get enough power, they can even be crafted into stronger better weapons that may have newer abilities.

The combat will be a combo style system where different attacks will be unleashed depending on how you press the keys on your keyboard. One example might be where you hold right + attack to do a leaping attack.

I know some of these ideas may sound rather similar to a few other games, but only the basic premise is really. The actual implementation is vastly different.

Now that may sound all great and all but, In order for me to even consider using this idea on Graal, I will need graphic help. Atexia only required icons in terms of graphics because of the way it was set up but this will require much much more. I will be needing not only icons and various sprites, but will need graphics for the terrain as well. All of the gameplay and graphic will be emulated; as in nothing will be displayed on any Graal levels (no tilesets!). Terrain graphics will be much larger then conventional tiles so expect to not be doing to much pixeling.

Any kind of graphics help would be greatly appreciated. You don't need to worry about either scripting or server space as I have plenty of both of those. I am even willing to take on a main partner on the project providing that you are exceptional at graphics and are willing to make the server a main focus of yours.

Basically, the more people that are willing to help out, the more willing I will be to actually script this. If I don't get the help, I'm most likely going to create this game in the next 2 years by coding the engine my self when I go away to game design school, so no real sweat off my back.

Post any comments, suggestions, questions and of course graphics position inquires.

I do NOT need level designers this early in the game nor do I need Events, FAQ or Police people (duh).

Thanks!
Old 06-26-2008, 07:46 AM
Will work for food. Maybe
DustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to DustyPorViva Send a message via MSN to DustyPorViva
Hey, if you pull off a sidescroller with physics that match or come near physics of Super Mario(or at least as refined), then I might just help you out. So many sidescrollers have been attempted on Graal, and the controls/physics are TERRIBLE. It always feels so robotic and stiff. Let me know if you get anything going in that department so I can try it out.
Old 06-26-2008, 07:47 AM
ᶘ ᵒᴥᵒᶅ...ᶘ ಠᴥಠᶅ❤...ℳℴℯ
Clockwork has a brilliant futureClockwork has a brilliant futureClockwork has a brilliant futureClockwork has a brilliant futureClockwork has a brilliant futureClockwork has a brilliant futureClockwork has a brilliant futureClockwork has a brilliant future
I swear to god I've had this idea forever, and every time I mentioned it, no one liked it T.T;

You would have my full support! (unlike atexia (( SORRY! >:O Alright, I admit, it got VERY boring ;_; )) )

:o Though my idea was a traditional rpg sidescroller

I wouldn't want to be you're partner though, I love symphonia to much
Old 06-26-2008, 07:48 AM
That one guy...
Send a message via ICQ to zokemon Send a message via AIM to zokemon Send a message via MSN to zokemon Send a message via Yahoo to zokemon
Quote:
Originally Posted by DustyPorViva View Post
Hey, if you pull off a sidescroller with physics that match or come near physics of Super Mario(or at least as refined), then I might just help you out. So many sidescrollers have been attempted on Graal, and the controls/physics are TERRIBLE. It always feels so robotic and stiff. Let me know if you get anything going in that department so I can try it out.
Yeah but almost all of these side scrollers weren't made by college students .
Old 06-26-2008, 07:49 AM
DustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond repute
Heh :P Well to be honest, I don't think actual physics is that important. It's more about control and refinement. I doubt Super Mario had realistic physics, but it controlled SO well, and it was so smooth and easy that it just felt right.
Old 06-26-2008, 07:52 AM
ᶘ ᵒᴥᵒᶅ...ᶘ ಠᴥಠᶅ❤...ℳℴℯ
Clockwork has a brilliant futureClockwork has a brilliant futureClockwork has a brilliant futureClockwork has a brilliant futureClockwork has a brilliant futureClockwork has a brilliant futureClockwork has a brilliant futureClockwork has a brilliant future
Quote:
Heh :P Well to be honest, I don't think actual physics is that important. It's more about control and refinement. I doubt Super Mario had realistic physics, but it controlled SO well, and it was so smooth and easy that it just felt right.
Please don't bring the idea of jumping on monsters to kill them, into the server. X3
Old 06-26-2008, 07:53 AM
? No one mentioned jumping to kill?
Old 06-26-2008, 07:54 AM
ᶘ ᵒᴥᵒᶅ...ᶘ ಠᴥಠᶅ❤...ℳℴℯ
Quote:
? No one mentioned jumping to kill?
Sorry for mentioning it?
Old 06-26-2008, 09:01 AM
That one guy...
Of course if people want to help out with Atexia, I'll continue on that :P.
Old 06-29-2008, 02:05 AM
That one guy...
Well? 2 people have shown interest... Not that convincing to make a whole server based on.
Old 06-29-2008, 02:09 AM
Boom!
Stephen has much to be proud ofStephen has much to be proud ofStephen has much to be proud ofStephen has much to be proud ofStephen has much to be proud ofStephen has much to be proud of
I remember having an idea I needed script help with.
Old 06-29-2008, 02:38 AM
the fake one
cbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to cbk1994
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
I remember having an idea I needed script help with.
http://wiki.graal.net/

There are some very good guides
Old 06-29-2008, 06:23 AM
Inactive Graal Player
grawlgamer is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to grawlgamer Send a message via MSN to grawlgamer
Atexia I would log on atexia every day zero, but my playerworld subscription is out and now I don't have access to the world.

Being female must be an issue for you every month though, right?