Graal Forums  

Go Back   Graal Forums > Development Forums > Level Design
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 04-30-2008, 07:21 AM
That one guy...
zokemon is a jewel in the roughzokemon is a jewel in the rough
Send a message via ICQ to zokemon Send a message via AIM to zokemon Send a message via MSN to zokemon Send a message via Yahoo to zokemon
Scripted Level Editor

I'm currently developing a scripted level editor that takes advantage of the new Graal client's external window features. The level editor will mimic most of the functionality of the current external level editor for Windows but will have many more features that will make it more like a graphics editing program.

Unlike most of the scripted level editors that have been made so far, this one has two key features that makes it distinct from the others:
  • Instead of editing the level that you are on directly, it instead will use my scripted File Browser to open and save ".nw" files either on your computer or on the server (where you have rights to).
  • The entire editor runs much smoother then most other editors as it uses external windows (first editor to do so) and is optimized with various script elements (such as Drawing Panels).

My goal is to get this editor added to the Login server with the scripted RC so that anyone can access it by pressing F4 on any server. You would of course need to have RC in order to view/modify files on the server but files on your computer could be edited on any server (maybe even using the current servers tileset or so!).

Here's a simple screenshot of some of what I have completed so far but it does not show everything.

Here's the list of the current features that are implemented so far:
  • F4 opens the editor in a separate window outside of the Graal client.
  • On the top of the window is a menu bar with the following options:
    • File > New - Creates a new blank level.
    • File > Open - Opens the file "newfile.nw" in your "scriptfiles" folder on your client. This is just temporary as I am still finishing up the File Browser.
  • Below the menu bar is a toolbar with buttons that mimic many of the menu commands (new, open, save, save as).
  • Below the toolbar is a set of tabs that allows you to switch between levels that you have open.
  • On the right of the window is where the various panels are stored. You can click on the boxes next to each panel to show and hide them. The following panels are implemented:
    • Layers - Change between the active tilelayer as well as display tile layer masks (tile types, etc.).
    • Tools - Change between your active tool (pencil, selection, eraser, etc.).
  • On the bottom of the window is the pallete where you can see your current tileset. From here you can select tiles for use with your active tool.
  • The selection tool allows you to select tiles from the palette and place them on the level as well as move around tiles already on the level. This tool is the tool that lets you do all of the things you can do in the external editor (right click to fill, etc)

There are many other features that are scripted in but aren't supported yet because the new client has a few bugs.

Here's the things that are planned to be implemented:
  • Pencil Tool - Allows you to draw a single tile in a line or freeform. You can set the pencil size as well as the shape.
  • Paintbrush Tool - Allows you to draw a set of tiles (or a predefined pattern) in a line or freeform.
  • Bucket Tool - Allows you to fill an area of tiles.
  • Stamp Tool - Allows you to place a set of tiles (or a predefined pattern) at a single point.
  • Path Tool - Allows you to paint a path using self-defined or pre-defined path patterns.
  • Pattern Tool - Enables other tools to draw the active pattern rather then the pallete.
  • Eraser Tool - Enables other tools to simply erase tiles rather then use the pallete.
  • A tileset panel will allow you to change the active tileset, append parts to the tileset as well as load a tileset of the current server.
  • Various NPC and script editor things. Won't be done till most of the tile stuff is done.
  • Hopefully when the script is complete, it will be added to the login server and the scripted RC will be changed to open all .nw files in the level editor rather then download and try to open them.

I have a bunch of other things I want to implement but that was all I could think of off the top of my head right now. Feel free to post suggestions, questions and/or comments!

Also, who's the moderator of this forum so I can have you update this post in the future?

Last edited by zokemon; 04-30-2008 at 10:09 PM..
Old 04-30-2008, 07:32 AM
Will work for food. Maybe
DustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to DustyPorViva Send a message via MSN to DustyPorViva
Levels and graphics section have no moderators :P
I do like your idea of implementing it globally a lot.
Old 04-30-2008, 11:58 AM
Petrification of a Newbie
Darklux is a jewel in the roughDarklux is a jewel in the rough
Send a message via ICQ to Darklux Send a message via AIM to Darklux Send a message via Yahoo to Darklux
Yeah, go for it!

External Window sounds like a good compromise between scripted and external clients.
Old 04-30-2008, 07:52 PM
The Cat
Tigairius has a brilliant futureTigairius has a brilliant futureTigairius has a brilliant futureTigairius has a brilliant futureTigairius has a brilliant futureTigairius has a brilliant futureTigairius has a brilliant futureTigairius has a brilliant future
I already have a level script editor done

“Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars.”
Old 04-30-2008, 08:35 PM
North*
Rapidwolve24 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Rapidwolve24 Send a message via MSN to Rapidwolve24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigairius View Post
But we are not talking about you.

Jk. any screenies?
Old 04-30-2008, 08:44 PM
Tee Hee
smirt362 has a brilliant futuresmirt362 has a brilliant futuresmirt362 has a brilliant futuresmirt362 has a brilliant futuresmirt362 has a brilliant futuresmirt362 has a brilliant futuresmirt362 has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to smirt362 Send a message via MSN to smirt362
Sounds awesome!

I wonder if it would also be possible to do like a "path tool" so that it would be easier to make rivers/lakes/dirt paths/grass paths etc without having to use those text files for the editor.

Don Hertzfeldt <3
Old 04-30-2008, 08:59 PM
Rufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud of
Sounds no different to the current level editor, other than the probable issue that we'd have to be online to create levels. If that is not the case, it still sounds no different to the current level editor.

Not impressed.
Old 04-30-2008, 09:08 PM
DustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond repute
Layers. Layers.
Old 04-30-2008, 09:09 PM
Administrator
Darlene159 has much to be proud ofDarlene159 has much to be proud ofDarlene159 has much to be proud ofDarlene159 has much to be proud ofDarlene159 has much to be proud ofDarlene159 has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by zokemon View Post
Also, who's the moderator of this forum so I can have you update this post in the future?
Sam or myself.
INFO ABOUT INFRACTIONS.
HOW TO APPLY FOR THE NON-GRAAL RELATED FORUM (<<READ THOROUGHLY!)

SUPPORT: http://support.toonslab.com

NOTE: YOU ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR YOUR OWN POSTS.
READ>THINK>POST
Old 04-30-2008, 09:35 PM
The secret of NIMH
Robin will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to Robin
I made a level editor for FTO (Fantasy Tales Online.. Lol) back in the day that could read NW files. I wrote it entirely using DirectDraw7 and Visual Basic. Those were the days.

Supported Layers too. (For FTO). I miss those days
Old 04-30-2008, 09:39 PM
HA! That's the game I was thinking about.
Old 04-30-2008, 09:53 PM
The secret of NIMH
Robin will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to Robin
Sticking on topic though, There's no point asking for layers here since it's a scripted level editor, to have layers the way the levels are coded, loaded, etc, would have to be fundamentally changed in the game.
Old 04-30-2008, 10:01 PM
Graal already has layers and so does this editor :P Just there is no way to use them now except for manually using wordpad and if you open the level in the external editor it erases all layers.
I was telling Rufus the reason to be impressed is by finally having the ability to use them.
Old 04-30-2008, 10:05 PM
That one guy...
zokemon is a jewel in the roughzokemon is a jewel in the rough
Send a message via ICQ to zokemon Send a message via AIM to zokemon Send a message via MSN to zokemon Send a message via Yahoo to zokemon
Quote:
Originally Posted by smirt362 View Post
Sounds awesome!

I wonder if it would also be possible to do like a "path tool" so that it would be easier to make rivers/lakes/dirt paths/grass paths etc without having to use those text files for the editor.
Ahh right, I forgot about that tool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DustyPorViva View Post
Graal already has layers and so does this editor :P
I was telling Rufus the reason to be impressed is by finally having the ability to use them.
Yeah, I guess I didn't really explain that all of the tilelayer stuff is done already.

Rufus has an un-dieing hatred for anything I do and will always troll any thread I create so there no real point .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigairius View Post
And so do a bunch of people, but is it a nw editor or just an online level editor?
Old 04-30-2008, 11:36 PM
The Cat
Tigairius has a brilliant futureTigairius has a brilliant futureTigairius has a brilliant futureTigairius has a brilliant futureTigairius has a brilliant futureTigairius has a brilliant futureTigairius has a brilliant futureTigairius has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by zokemon View Post
And so do a bunch of people, but is it a nw editor or just an online level editor?
online level editor

“Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars.”