Graal Forums  

Go Back   Graal Forums > PlayerWorlds > PlayerWorlds Main Forum
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 05-02-2004, 06:18 AM
TonyRivers is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation Metropolis is BACK!

Well as the title says Metropolis is back and better than ever we are working hard to get started again after a brief down time I am trying to contact all the rest of the staff for now its just me and H-I-M.

Incase you missed the last update of metropolis fear not I will post plenty of content this time starting with a little screen shot of what I have been working on for the last few days. As you can see I made a few outside tiles and a new tree. The detail of smokes tree owns mine but we found it didn't really go with the tiles so I made a more cartoonish version.

Also thanks very much to smoke for his tree that we couldnt use and thanks to the rest of the staff, Robin for his awesome lighswitch script and Jesta for providing us a server free of charge. Most important of all H-I-M for working his ass off to improve Metropolis in everyway he can!! and for making me my 1337 sig!

One more thing Metropolis is still looking for decitated people to serve in anyway they can we need some people who can devote lots of time to thinking up ideas for the server and composing write ups for some of the complicated systems we have instore if you think you can help with ideas, wrighting, development, or if you just want to talk about metropolis do not hesitate to e-mail me at [email protected] or just reply to this thread.

Now for a reward for reading all my long rambling paragraphs,enjoy,

Tony Rivers
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	preview11.png
Views:	383
Size:	109.1 KB
ID:	28197  
Old 05-02-2004, 08:28 AM
D1ce2 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to D1ce2 Send a message via Yahoo to D1ce2
I love the server,Is it going to be a RP/Medievil type server?

The time is coming
Old 05-02-2004, 08:45 AM
Master Tux
WanDaMan is a jewel in the roughWanDaMan is a jewel in the rough
Send a message via MSN to WanDaMan
Lol, enough about the 1337 people who helped you
Whats the server going to be like?
Nice picture, I dislike the top of the tree, it looks to like Adiarde's and Oasis's (same style)..
All rest is fine, goodjob
Nice sig btw
Old 05-02-2004, 03:06 PM
VIP runned out
ETD is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by D1ce2
I love the server,Is it going to be a RP/Medievil type server?
the name doesn't seem to lend itself to a midieval theme...

Good luck on the server =)
Old 05-03-2004, 02:00 AM
Tryme111 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ETD
the name doesn't seem to lend itself to a midieval theme...

Good luck on the server =)

Haha, hes rights
Old 05-03-2004, 04:01 AM
Well, Metropolis is an action adventure simulation game with rpg elements. It is set in a modern / fantasy world and the only thing similar to era is the modern theme although props to era for breaking through the ice and making a server that is actually different. There wil be hardly any guns because this server does not focus on the crimial / justice theme instead it has a uniqe style of game play that involves rapid use of the mouse.

For a little example think of all the best elements from several genres of games mixed into one.You will be able to develope a character and mold him or her into whatever you want. He can get a job earn his keep get a house family grow old ect. The features are endless and I am still in the process of writing them out currently it has taken up half of a sprial notebook.

The tree will change (better rounded off and shaded) and there will be different versions of trees but the basic layout is straight from the graal tree I just redrew the trunk and added leaves if you look closely it is the exact same size as the tree from the basic tileset.

Ok here is the big file dump lots of stuff from the body first then I will show an inside level.
Enjoy, Tony
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	headtemp.png
Views:	306
Size:	22.9 KB
ID:	28205  
Attached Images

Old 05-03-2004, 04:32 AM
Yoonacorn
Scott is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Scott
I'm impressed. Another promising project. That makes three, but only this one seems to be active.
Old 05-03-2004, 05:35 AM
Over Nine THOUSAND!!!!!!!
davidpsy is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to davidpsy
The tree looks like it is floating off the ground, put some grass around the roots to make it look like its attached to the grass.

And try to add some actual detail to the leafs besides having each one all be a seperate color.

Try to add some varation to the cliff tiles as they look too tiled and it shows the grid.

Also try to redo the plants as they look like they are just gradients. I do like your rocks though it looks like you spent alot of time on them.

The grass looks too tiled I would sugest using maybe 8 or 10 different grass tiles to kill the monotony. That goes the same for the dirt tiles and you might wanna make a variation of those tree in the same style to break up the monotony with more detail in the leafs as I stated earlyer.

Also with the trees the tops dont look so good its like a big loly pop I would sugest redrawing the tree with the current truck and drawing the branchs and then putting leafs on the branchs. I use a 3d tree generator at spific settings for my tree frames but your going for more of a cartoony look I assume.

I see some little dirt rocks in the dirt road, they are a bit high in contrast and sort of make you focus on the rocks more then you would on the dirt and the rest of the stuff in the background. Its important to try to make all the tiles sort of in the same contrast so some things dont stand out more then other things unless they some how signifant other then being in the background of the player.

It looks decent, good luck. If you wanna talk on aim I could give you some spific ways of making those plants look better.

Forces greater than your self, can be over come.

Last edited by davidpsy; 05-03-2004 at 05:52 AM..
Old 05-03-2004, 05:52 AM
Thanks for your suggestions but I probably wont be doing much editing of the stuff I want to keep this very simplistic like a cartoon I wont be adding 50 billion shades to one thing nor will I be using the retouch tool very much. I will do something about the tree the grass stays and the cliffs might be edited not really sure. the reason the plants are the way they are is because im running out of colors and my tileset isnt nearly done.
Old 05-03-2004, 05:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyRivers
Thanks for your suggestions but I probably wont be doing much editing of the stuff I want to keep this very simplistic like a cartoon I wont be adding 50 billion shades to one thing nor will I be using the retouch tool very much.
You dont need too, you can add alot more detail with the current colors you have I could show you an example if you want.

Quote:
I will do something about the tree the grass stays and the cliffs might be edited not really sure. the reason the plants are the way they are is because im running otu of colors and my tileset isnt nearly done.
I just think you should have more then one grass tile in the same style and colors to break up the monotony. Well I could probably find a way to fix the plants without adding more colors.

It is not how many colors you use but how you use them, I learned this from a great man. I personally like to use as many colors as I need and I perfer not to limit my self to using lots of colors but I do not go out of my way to on purpose and use more colors.

Old 05-03-2004, 06:59 AM
Quote:
It is not how many colors you use but how you use them
heh, never expected to see that coming from you but well I messed with the plants some darkend the outlines some.
Attached Images

Old 05-03-2004, 07:59 AM
Quote:
heh, never expected to see that coming from you but well I messed with the plants some darkend the outlines some.
looks great, I could darken the contrast a little so it doesnt stand out so much but other wise its good.

Old 05-03-2004, 08:50 AM
D1ce2 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to D1ce2 Send a message via Yahoo to D1ce2
You never know,So far i love it, Nice work

The time is coming
Old 05-03-2004, 11:01 AM
oldbie
brock128 is on a distinguished road
Very purdy.
Old 05-03-2004, 01:16 PM
Unholy Nation
Malinko is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Malinko
Ah, another server that would be fun for Graal. Looks like it will be a good real life simulation server =)! Nice job on the preview, makes people want to see more. I wish ya look on the project, you'll do great! Make sure you don't make a lame choice to ruin it though , like Bravo *ew*.