Graal Forums  

Go Back   Graal Forums > General Forums > Graal Main Forum (English)
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Closed Thread

Old 10-25-2002, 09:52 PM
LOCAL DOUCHEBAG
James is a splendid one to beholdJames is a splendid one to beholdJames is a splendid one to beholdJames is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to James
Quote:
Originally posted by Kaimetsu

And, of course, he couldn't take being a normal player anymore so he ran like heck. Poor fool let his ego consume him.
Wow, you really have a different feeling towards Alkaren now that he's gone.

JAMES BAY PACKERS
2011 FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPIONS
2012 FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPIONS

“If I can slow it down in my mind... things will be fine."

-Aaron Rodgers
2011's NFL Most Valuable Player

Old 10-25-2002, 11:13 PM
A Serious Epidemic
Googi has much to be proud ofGoogi has much to be proud ofGoogi has much to be proud ofGoogi has much to be proud ofGoogi has much to be proud ofGoogi has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to Googi
Quote:
Originally posted by ZanderX

Um. Dude.

He lost his p2p status when he was fired.
And he can't re-upgrade?

I highly doubt he would've quit if he wasn't fired.
Old 10-26-2002, 02:06 AM
Foolish Dreamer
Graal518 is on a distinguished road
I really don't blame Alkaren for not wanting to re-upgrade.

Can there be a guiding light I've yet to see? I know my heart should guide me, but...
Old 10-26-2002, 10:23 AM
what up
ZanderX is a glorious beacon of lightZanderX is a glorious beacon of lightZanderX is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:

Indeed, but didn't he later get it back? His forum account still works, I believe.
Nope.
Old 10-26-2002, 11:20 AM
Old Bee
konidias will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to konidias
Alkaren has a lot of friends. That alone tells you that he was not a good administrator. Administrators are the least liked people in the game. The only reason he was liked so much, was because he let things slide in fear of losing popularity. I don't know how many times I had to point out rules being blatantly broken on the forums in topics that he was posting in and acknowledging. You want to talk power trip, he even set all his forum access to allow himself access to all forums, even though being admin automatically covered that, he wanted to assure he would be able to view all forums even if he lost his power. (either that, or he set them all to yes so he didn't have to upgrade?)

Whatever the reason, Alkaren has changed for the worst. He ever so often messages me on aim and tells me that I'm doing a ridiculous job with the forums because I don't follow in his footsteps and allow the players to run wild so that I'm liked by more people. After he lost his power, he just snapped and now he apparently hates me.

He got in arguements with Unixmad because he would tell Unixmad how to do his job, and tell Unixmad that he isn't doing a good job, or whatever he said, but it wasn't nice words to Unixmad, and it wasn't helping anyone.

Put this image in your sig if you support Bomy Island! (g2k1 revision)
play bomberman while you wait!

Old 10-26-2002, 12:24 PM
Banned
_0AfTeRsHoCk0_ is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to _0AfTeRsHoCk0_
That's a total stereotype. Admins do not have to be unliked evil bastards, I know that many people disagree with Konidias' stuff and although he may seem not liked, I bet he probably is, a lot. Still many people look up to him. If you want an example to contradict your theory, Contego. Everyone hated Contego, but did that make him a good "HRO"? *shudders*. I don't think so.

Alkaren was liked by all because of his personality. Because he got along with the people in the community well he talked and listened to them, asked them what changes they wanted (such as voting for new forum creations, supermods etc) and he made changes regularily, yet he was still liked? Konidias does almost the exact same thing, and I bet he is liked too although it may not be shown on certain occasions.

So admins do not have to be hated for them to do an effective job. If they have a good personality and lots of patience, they can get the job done.
Old 10-26-2002, 12:44 PM
CowgirlBebop is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to CowgirlBebop
Quote:

he was here to build up his empire of loving fans so he could ascend to heaven once more! A supermod that cares so much about his popularity is not a good thing. Add in his craving for power and j00 got yourself a damned fool on the throne.

Wow, just wow. I can't remember how many damn threads we got into arguments about stuff, and people always backed him up. It was so fricking stupid. Then, a few days later I had forum pms with apologies from people saying "nawh don't worry about it" and other crap. OMFG, so after he get's fired everyone comes out of their cages? You see, I actually thought people liked him. I always got into arguments cause I thought I was one of few who saw his power thirst. Well... what's done is done. I think we should all agree on...

#1. Alkaren is good gone.
#2. Alkaren was power hungry.
#3. Nobody cares if his account is upgraded or not.
Old 10-26-2002, 01:00 PM
Banned
freddyfox is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally posted by konidias
Alkaren has a lot of friends. That alone tells you that he was not a good administrator. Administrators are the least liked people in the game. The only reason he was liked so much, was because he let things slide in fear of losing popularity. I don't know how many times I had to point out rules being blatantly broken on the forums in topics that he was posting in and acknowledging. You want to talk power trip, he even set all his forum access to allow himself access to all forums, even though being admin automatically covered that, he wanted to assure he would be able to view all forums even if he lost his power. (either that, or he set them all to yes so he didn't have to upgrade?)"
Popularity? I honestly don't know where you're getting that from, but he wanted to be administrator in the first place because he liked the forums and disliked seeing them going sliding into ruin.

Also, where did you get the crazy idea that he was admin? He only got some beefed up super moderator powers, that was it. He used them to organize the moderators and created a forum where we could debate whether or not to do this or to do that.

And there could be a reason why administrators are the least liked people in the game. Think for a moment. I'm not hinting anything at all, just think.

Quote:
Whatever the reason, Alkaren has changed for the worst. He ever so often messages me on aim and tells me that I'm doing a ridiculous job with the forums because I don't follow in his footsteps and allow the players to run wild so that I'm liked by more people. After he lost his power, he just snapped and now he apparently hates me.
You have to understand, Alkaren is a lot like me. I love these forums, he loves these forums, and he quite honestly doesn't like the way the forums are starting to be run.

The players never "ran wild" as you say. The players never DID run wild, no matter what you may think they may have did. The only idiots we've had here in the past two years have been TwiZtiD Juggalo, and Jack, who have both been permabanned.

Quote:
He got in arguements with Unixmad because he would tell Unixmad how to do his job, and tell Unixmad that he isn't doing a good job, or whatever he said, but it wasn't nice words to Unixmad, and it wasn't helping anyone.
He was simply giving unixmad suggestions for the game, if there's any harm in that. If you want the full story, you'll have to ask him yourself.

Quote:

Heck no. Anybody with eyes and an unshackled mind could see it. I remember when he removed Torankusu from his moderator post or something along those lines, and then pretty much told me "That's what he gets for opposing me".
Uhh, isn't that exactly the same thing that konidias did?

Or at the very least, it's in the same mindest. Torankusu didn't like Alkaren and argued about it, so Alkaren removed Torankusu. Torankusu didn't like the way the whole sig deal was being handled and argued about it, so Konidias removed Torankusu.
Old 10-26-2002, 01:11 PM
Foolish Dreamer
Quote:
Originally posted by CowgirlBebop

#3. Nobody cares if his account is upgraded or not.
If this applies, then why did you start this thread about him? If you didn't care then you wouldn't have brought him up in the first place.

Can there be a guiding light I've yet to see? I know my heart should guide me, but...
Old 10-26-2002, 01:16 PM
Banned
Kaimetsu, the "popularity stunt" is what got you being a supermod in the first place. Are you condemning your own job?
Old 10-26-2002, 01:24 PM
Banned
Quote:

Again, poor logic. I think that the right decision was made in the wrong way. I condemn the method by which I was selected, but that doesn't mean I don't think I should be moderator.
Well I think ssj goku should run the forums because he thinks that he would do a good damn job! But of course the way he chosen doesn't matter, because as long as he IS chosen (quite machiavellian) then it's all justified
Old 10-26-2002, 01:40 PM
Foolish Dreamer
I ask what does it really matter now? It's pointless to discuss things that don't apply to the current happenings here. I for one never cared who ran the forums, and I don't think I ever will. I do respect Alkaren as a friend regardless of what anyone does think... I probably respect him more than I do a majority of the people in power here. I don't know what purpose this is all doing to dwell on it.

Old 10-26-2002, 01:42 PM
Banned
freddyfox is on a distinguished road
Quote:

And you believed him when he said that?
Sorry, I have this crazy idea to believe people I've learned to trust.

Quote:
He was an admin in his own mind. He considered himself above the other supermods, certainly.
He was doing a heck of a better job then any of us were at the time, in any case.

Quote:
The difference is the ego. Sure, he may have started being supermod to make a difference but, at least towards the end, it was all about popularity and power. See: reaction when he found out that Konidias had been appointed admin - a feat Alkaren had never accomplished.
How can you tell this? Unless you have a mystical thought reader, I could say the same thing about me or Aftershock or you or konidias and it would be justified by that logic. You're just making baseless assumptions derived from his actions, which didn't at all indicate power hungryness.

Quote:
Then I suppose we have different definitions of running wild. The players were breaking all sorts of rules, from account sharing to cookie use and Alkaren never did a thing about it. Tell me, if his goal in being admin was to improve the forums then what did he actually do to achieve this? I never saw him do anything that wasn't already being done.
First off.

A) It's IMPOSSIBLE to detect when someone is using a cookie to log in. We do NOT have the kind of power to detect it or look up the player account logs.

Second off.

B) The account sharing rule was not even IN yet.

He improved the forum by adding orginization and making sure all moderators agreed on something before applying it.

Quote:
If you want the full, doctored story, yeah.
More baseless assumptions. C'mon, man, I know you're better then that.

Quote:
Torankusu wasn't removed from his moderator position, he simply had his access to the Sandbox revoked. And that was for various reasons. Examples:

1) He didn't agree with the rules. So why bother letting him debate about them? He couldn't bring anything useful to the conversations.
2) He often took matters from the Sandbox to the public forums. On multiple occasions he took text from there and quoted it in public threads, completely ignoring the fact that it was supposed to stay private.
1) He agreed completely with the rules, but he debated things that were not written in stone.

2) He did have good reason to. You WERE planning to try and exploit the rules to get Spi banned from the forums, and trying to discuss it on the Sandbox proved completely fruitless.
Old 10-26-2002, 01:43 PM
Banned
Quote:

As it happens, I turned out to be an effective moderator so my position has not been revoked, despite the poor method by which I was appointed.
Yet you saying that you are an effective moderator is another subjective opinion, therefore your logic is flawed. There is probably no one impartial on these forums that can say "yes kaimetsu is a good super mod" because everyone has an opinion here. If we took Joe Schmoe and he looked at these forums, private and not, for 30 min, he could probably come up with a more objective opinions than yours, mine or even konidias'.

haha logic flawed on u lolz
Old 10-26-2002, 01:52 PM
Jenseits von Gut und Böse
IceHawk is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to IceHawk
reading this thread makes me WANT TO HIT CERTAIN PEOPLE WITH A CLUE HAMMER