Graal Forums  

Go Back   Graal Forums > PlayerWorlds > Classic Main Forum > Classic News
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-07-2010, 05:27 PM
of House Targaryen
Crimson2005 is a splendid one to beholdCrimson2005 is a splendid one to beholdCrimson2005 is a splendid one to beholdCrimson2005 is a splendid one to beholdCrimson2005 is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via MSN to Crimson2005
I found it ok. I still find the storyline extremely weird seeing as this makes everyone of the same background. I have the same opinion on the intro as Maximus and it was all going alright until the Ninja Trials. Level is pretty basic and not really ninja themed like I thought it would be. It's not hard to get lost at the start and the instructions and directions given are pretty clear so that is one decent thing I can think of.
Old 08-07-2010, 05:47 PM
RIP DarkCloud_PK
maximus_asinus has a reputation beyond reputemaximus_asinus has a reputation beyond reputemaximus_asinus has a reputation beyond reputemaximus_asinus has a reputation beyond reputemaximus_asinus has a reputation beyond reputemaximus_asinus has a reputation beyond reputemaximus_asinus has a reputation beyond reputemaximus_asinus has a reputation beyond reputemaximus_asinus has a reputation beyond reputemaximus_asinus has a reputation beyond repute
There are a few things I would change...
  • the opening scene with the Baddies seemed too staged, and childish as points
  • using text/dialog boxes for cut scene events, which a player can scroll through on their own speed. I missed a few lines of dialog from the opening cut scene, and through distraction, I missed a few lines in Master Li's.
  • I don't like how the graveyard seems to have been stuffed in the bottom corner. It is obvious that you were working to keep the levels in the current map without extending it, but it looks constrained now (and will become glaringly obvious when you do eventually extend the map). The path to the graveyard doesn't seem natural.
  • On the topic of the graveyard, you have a neat darkening effect when you enter, but I dislike how when you enter a building and exit it fades again. Also for atmosphere purposes, it could be cool to add rain for the graveyard.
  • I think you should begin the game with journal and the map or grab it off the desk in the beginning.
  • The ninja trials were cool, but watching players go through the quest I noticed they all had two complaints. First, everyone needed guidance on what they were supposed to do with the push blocks, I think Xaphan said he was there for 40 minutes (LOL) trying to work on it. I think the goal should have been made more obvious (like how in most Zelda games they have a certain "tile" that would point you to the path you're supposed to take). The second complaint was that the torch, or stick looked terrible, and even worst when it was on fire. Maybe consider changing it.

Those were my biggest complaints, I really enjoyed what I got to play though.
Old 08-07-2010, 05:56 PM
RIP DarkCloud_PK
maximus_asinus has a reputation beyond reputemaximus_asinus has a reputation beyond reputemaximus_asinus has a reputation beyond reputemaximus_asinus has a reputation beyond reputemaximus_asinus has a reputation beyond reputemaximus_asinus has a reputation beyond reputemaximus_asinus has a reputation beyond reputemaximus_asinus has a reputation beyond reputemaximus_asinus has a reputation beyond reputemaximus_asinus has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimson2005 View Post
not really ninja themed
I never really thought of that, but it does make sense to have a ninja themed training area. Though I am not entirely sure what makes something ninja, I imagine a quest based on balance, stealth, and then sword techniques. The Ninji Castle from old Classic is a good example I think. You had to sneak passed guards, and then fight a boss at the top. Maybe adding onto that would be trying to incapacitate the guards (not killing them), setting up traps, and solving puzzles/mazes. Maybe even a time trial where you have to race an ninja to a goal.
Old 08-07-2010, 06:05 PM
of House Targaryen
Crimson2005 is a splendid one to beholdCrimson2005 is a splendid one to beholdCrimson2005 is a splendid one to beholdCrimson2005 is a splendid one to beholdCrimson2005 is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by maximus_asinus View Post
I never really thought of that, but it does make sense to have a ninja themed training area. Though I am not entirely sure what makes something ninja, I imagine a quest based on balance, stealth, and then sword techniques. The Ninji Castle from old Classic is a good example I think. You had to sneak passed guards, and then fight a boss at the top. Maybe adding onto that would be trying to incapacitate the guards (not killing them), setting up traps, and solving puzzles/mazes. Maybe even a time trial where you have to race an ninja to a goal.
Sounds like that would be an improvement on the current level. What I was getting at was the level for the ninja trials could be a level for just about any quest really, nothing special about it like there should be.
Old 08-07-2010, 06:09 PM
Will work for food. Maybe
DustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to DustyPorViva Send a message via MSN to DustyPorViva
Please tell me there are not push/pull block puzzles

They need to be abolished. Forever. The default push/pull block mechanics are atrocious and only spawned equally bad puzzle designs because of it. Blocks should be redesigned to work more like Zelda blocks.
Old 08-07-2010, 06:13 PM
of House Targaryen
Quote:
Originally Posted by DustyPorViva View Post

They need to be abolished. Forever. The default push/pull block mechanics are atrocious and only spawned equally bad puzzle designs because of it. Blocks should be redesigned to work more like Zelda blocks.
There is a push/pull block puzzle in the ninja trials. In fact what I've gathered is that the block puzzle is the entire point of the ninja trial because this seems to be the core of the trial. It does use different block mechanics though.
Old 08-07-2010, 06:32 PM
DustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
There is a push/pull block puzzle in the ninja trials. In fact what I've gathered is that the block puzzle is the entire point of the ninja trial because this seems to be the core of the trial. It does use different block mechanics though.
Well in that case they need new puzzle designs. No one likes a room full of blocks. Creative designs :/
Old 08-07-2010, 06:41 PM
of House Targaryen
Quote:
Well in that case they need new puzzle designs. No one likes a room full of blocks. Creative designs :/
It's not a room full of blocks, it's like 4 blocks but it's still the main point. Then again it isn't a creative design either. You have to find a way to push the red block on to a square which somehow slows down the current of the water, inside the level.
Old 08-07-2010, 06:43 PM
RIP DarkCloud_PK
Quote:

I never understood why nobody on Graal has tried to emulate Zelda's block puzzles. In Graal, the blocks are always treated as obstacles to clear, or weights for switches. Why hasn't anyone made a block puzzle that required using the blocks for another purpose (like stacking, or filling a gap in a floor, etc).

EDIT: this is a quick mock up of what I mean, I never seen a puzzle like this on Graal. Push blocks have always been used in one of two ways. P.S. the blocks are supposed to look like they are stacked but I lack the ability to create that effect. Also when done right, the rocks would sink in the sand enabling you to walk/climb on them.

EDIT: how I have it might be a bit confusing, maybe shrinking the muddy area to be about the same shape as the block would allow players to identify what they have to do a bit better.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	push_stones.png
Views:	168
Size:	41.9 KB
ID:	51469  

Last edited by maximus_asinus; 08-07-2010 at 07:27 PM..
Old 08-07-2010, 06:45 PM
Quote:
It's not a room full of blocks, it's like 4 blocks but it's still the main point. Then again it isn't a creative design either. You have to find a way to push the red block on to a square which somehow slows down the current of the water, inside the level.
Oh... I should really try it, I guess. I just can't be assed.

However, my point still stands! There will be curses in the air if they reimplement the old block puzzles!
Old 08-07-2010, 08:51 PM
Luda has much to be proud ofLuda has much to be proud ofLuda has much to be proud ofLuda has much to be proud ofLuda has much to be proud ofLuda has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to Luda
Oh btw, what's with the random laser beam. lol
Old 08-07-2010, 09:12 PM
Banned
ffcmike has a reputation beyond reputeffcmike has a reputation beyond reputeffcmike has a reputation beyond reputeffcmike has a reputation beyond reputeffcmike has a reputation beyond reputeffcmike has a reputation beyond reputeffcmike has a reputation beyond reputeffcmike has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to ffcmike Send a message via MSN to ffcmike
I had actually planned to always give blocks some advanced use, agree they should never exist entirely as an obstacle, one idea I had was to have them pushed into water, perhaps either to use as a float or to sink and form a shallow walkway, another improvement on them compared to before is that they move smoothly rather than one tile at a time.

The laser is hardly random, the solution to avoiding was purposely part of the solution to killing the subsequent baddy, plus motion sensors fit in with stealth.
Old 08-07-2010, 09:20 PM
Luda has much to be proud ofLuda has much to be proud ofLuda has much to be proud ofLuda has much to be proud ofLuda has much to be proud ofLuda has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to Luda
Ya but it doesn't fit in with the setting lol. Next week in Naruto: lasers coming out of the walls.
Old 08-07-2010, 09:42 PM
RIP DarkCloud_PK
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luda View Post
Ya but it doesn't fit in with the setting lol. Next week in Naruto: lasers coming out of the walls.
I agree, it definitely didn't fit the atmosphere. Why would I use a sword if I could just use a laser?
Old 08-07-2010, 10:40 PM
perfection
Oni has a spectacular aura about
Graal Classic
more like