FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 02-18-2010, 09:09 PM
Ideas on Fire
Soala is a jewel in the roughSoala is a jewel in the rough
Gray workout

Name:  lamptest.png
Views: 247
Size:  1.6 KB

All type of comments on this are welcome.

I'm trying to work a lot with gray colours on my graphics since I've never done anything using that much of gray, so I figured I'd try and make something out of gray only !
I am trying to keep quite a classic style, and got some inspiration from pics1 castle tiles.
-->Name:  inspiration.png
Views: 245
Size:  2.0 KB

(The top of it is supposed to hold some "magic" fire by the way, which is why I made it like a plate.)
Old 02-18-2010, 10:07 PM
Will work for food. Maybe
DustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to DustyPorViva Send a message via MSN to DustyPorViva
Gray is bad
Old 02-18-2010, 10:22 PM
Ideas on Fire
Soala is a jewel in the roughSoala is a jewel in the rough
thanks ;_;

This will be used in some ruins tho, or an underground dungeon, so I can't see why I'd make it in any other colour.
There will be lights npcs on it anyway.
Old 02-18-2010, 10:24 PM
:D
SalfordJamesBoii is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to SalfordJamesBoii
Nice. It'd look good in a castle or something too.
Old 02-18-2010, 10:29 PM
DustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexandralove View Post
thanks ;_;

This will be used in some ruins tho, or an underground dungeon, so I can't see why I'd make it in any other colour.
Gray is just dull and lifeless, no matter where you place it or what you do it it. If it's going in ruins, better to give it the slightest tint of brown to give it some life. Gray is just not a color you should be using much, if at all.
Old 02-18-2010, 10:55 PM
:pluffy:
Crono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond repute
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...kyrkan2007.jpg

am i doin it right
Old 02-18-2010, 10:58 PM
Delteria
Cloven has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to Cloven
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crono View Post
Excellent realism!
Old 02-19-2010, 01:59 AM
Indigo
Immolate is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by DustyPorViva View Post
Gray is bad
Yeah, I agree. Even objects with a gray colour will have some of the ambient colour blended with it, no matter what.
Old 02-19-2010, 07:14 PM
tempandrew is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexandralove View Post
thanks ;_;

It'd be a good idea to have vines of some sort if it's a ruins. If it's an underground dungeon, a brown tint would be nice. Though I disagree with these guys, gray can look good in dungeons as long as everything isn't gray.

Gray torches kind of make sense. So just give it a small amount of brown tint and I think it'd look fine.
Old 02-19-2010, 09:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tempandrew View Post
Though I disagree with these guys, gray can look good in dungeons as long as everything isn't gray.
And I have to disagree completely Gray has its uses rarely, but should hardly ever be a base color, no matter if it's dominating the scene or not.
Old 02-19-2010, 10:29 PM
tempandrew is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by DustyPorViva View Post
And I have to disagree completely Gray has its uses rarely, but should hardly ever be a base color, no matter if it's dominating the scene or not.
Really? I feel that Grey works good with a bronzish (like castle tiles) background. Like say, the castle staircase top tile used as flooring, with Gray torches lined up to something would work pretty well.

EDIT: That being said I would consider a brown tint an improvement.
Old 02-19-2010, 10:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tempandrew View Post
Really? I feel that Grey works good with a bronzish (like castle tiles) background. Like say, the castle staircase top tile used as flooring, with Gray torches lined up to something would work pretty well.

EDIT: That being said I would consider a brown tint an improvement.
Typically you'll want to add a tint to go with whatever you're doing. If it's going to be with bronze, aka metallic, usually a slight blue will make it look more specular, like silver. Red in gray portrays a rusted hue, green can look natural... so on and so forth. These are basic color theories from the colors themselves(brown is earthen, blue is metallic and cold, red is warm, green is natural... so on and so forth), that is just expanded and should be molded with gray. However, gray is naturally a neutral color, and if you're looking for something neutral than by all means... but by itself is a very boring thing to look at, especially if not used efficiently(see Delteria's port town).

There was a link on pixelation a while ago that had a bunch of colors and what personalities and such they were most related to... wish I could find it.
Old 02-20-2010, 01:10 AM
Banned
WhiteDragon is a splendid one to beholdWhiteDragon is a splendid one to beholdWhiteDragon is a splendid one to beholdWhiteDragon is a splendid one to beholdWhiteDragon is a splendid one to behold
I think grey can be a really powerful color when used as the neutral, and I don't think it needs a shade to it to pull off that role. This is primarily because a lot of other colors stick out real well against a spectrum of greys, so it can be used to provide emphasis to a specific part of the work and at the same time change the ambiance.
Old 02-20-2010, 03:22 AM
anubis_wing will become famous soon enough
Gray isn't bad, it goes with almost any colour and can really make the other colours around it pop, giving it more character.
Old 02-20-2010, 03:27 AM
Kanto League Champion
Demisis_P2P has much to be proud ofDemisis_P2P has much to be proud ofDemisis_P2P has much to be proud ofDemisis_P2P has much to be proud ofDemisis_P2P has much to be proud ofDemisis_P2P has much to be proud ofDemisis_P2P has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by anubis_wing View Post
Gray isn't bad, it goes with almost any colour and can really make the other colours around it pop, giving it more character.
like when i wear my grey jeans with my green tshirt. poppin fresh brah.