Graal Forums  

Go Back   Graal Forums > Development Forums > Future Improvements
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 02-01-2009, 07:15 PM
Administrator
Darlene159 has much to be proud ofDarlene159 has much to be proud ofDarlene159 has much to be proud ofDarlene159 has much to be proud ofDarlene159 has much to be proud ofDarlene159 has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by DustyPorViva View Post
Except people are using that as a, "Oh no, things aren't going my way I better get it closed!" when people call them out. If people do something stupid they shouldn't be able to just close the thread.
So? Does their closing it, or removing it change peoples opinion? No.
If they have it closed, or have it removed, it will more than likely reinforce the opinions already out there, so it only hurts the thread creator.
INFO ABOUT INFRACTIONS.
HOW TO APPLY FOR THE NON-GRAAL RELATED FORUM (<<READ THOROUGHLY!)

SUPPORT: http://support.toonslab.com

NOTE: YOU ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR YOUR OWN POSTS.
READ>THINK>POST
Old 02-01-2009, 07:35 PM
z0rbi 4 life 🤘
kia345 has a reputation beyond reputekia345 has a reputation beyond reputekia345 has a reputation beyond reputekia345 has a reputation beyond reputekia345 has a reputation beyond reputekia345 has a reputation beyond reputekia345 has a reputation beyond reputekia345 has a reputation beyond reputekia345 has a reputation beyond reputekia345 has a reputation beyond reputekia345 has a reputation beyond repute
Hey Darlene, this thread isn't about Jigga, but Ziro's post about Jigga was about this thread.
Old 02-01-2009, 07:35 PM
Will work for food. Maybe
DustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to DustyPorViva Send a message via MSN to DustyPorViva
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darlene159 View Post
So? Does their closing it, or removing it change peoples opinion? No.
If they have it closed, or have it removed, it will more than likely reinforce the opinions already out there, so it only hurts the thread creator.
No, it coddles them. Anytime things don't go their way they can just use their 'get out of jail free card'. Sure, it doesn't change our opinions, but we can never express our opinions about them anyway. Regardless, I just think that rule should be subjective to the situation, and not used as a pampering service.
Old 02-01-2009, 07:36 PM
Administrator
Darlene159 has much to be proud ofDarlene159 has much to be proud ofDarlene159 has much to be proud ofDarlene159 has much to be proud ofDarlene159 has much to be proud ofDarlene159 has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by kia345 View Post
Hey Darlene, this thread isn't about Jigga, but Ziro's post about Jigga was about this thread.
Yep, that's why it is still there.
INFO ABOUT INFRACTIONS.

READ>THINK>POST
Old 02-01-2009, 09:05 PM
master of infinite loops
LoneAngelIbesu has a spectacular aura aboutLoneAngelIbesu has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to LoneAngelIbesu
Hm. I'd have to say that it's quite common to close threads that get off topic, or at least issue warnings to users. Many forums are actually quite strict about off topic posts.

In a situation where a thread exist to advertise a server's open positions, I don't think that it's appropriate to critique or criticize the server itself. Criticizing the manager for certain actions and attitudes or criticizing the working environment are acceptable, I would think. But, if you're looking to write an op-ed on the server's quality of gameplay, for example, that's best done in another topic.

It boils down to the intent of the original post. If I were posting an advertisement for people to come play my server, I wouldn't have any ground to stand on when trying to get the topic closed for critical posts. If I were posting a classified ad, looking to hire people, I would appreciate it if the topic remained at employment, and I would certainly get it closed if it turned in to a scathing criticism of content or quality of the server itself. I'm trying to get developers to work on my server, to make it better. The last thing I need is somebody deterring possible developers because of critiques/criticisms of the server in it's current state.
Old 02-02-2009, 06:00 AM
Incubator
Inverness is a jewel in the roughInverness is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
I disagree. I think the thread creator should be able to decide if the thread remains open, or whether they want to delete it or not.
Why does the thread creator get to dictate how long people can discuss a topic?
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneAngelIbesu View Post
Hm. I'd have to say that it's quite common to close threads that get off topic, or at least issue warnings to users. Many forums are actually quite strict about off topic posts.
We're not talking about topics that have become off-topic in this case.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneAngelIbesu View Post
It boils down to the intent of the original post. If I were posting an advertisement for people to come play my server, I wouldn't have any ground to stand on when trying to get the topic closed for critical posts. If I were posting a classified ad, looking to hire people, I would appreciate it if the topic remained at employment, and I would certainly get it closed if it turned in to a scathing criticism of content or quality of the server itself. I'm trying to get developers to work on my server, to make it better. The last thing I need is somebody deterring possible developers because of critiques/criticisms of the server in it's current state.
Those that have worked for you before have the right to inform the community about whatever problems you have.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crow View Post
Very interesting point, which I almost completely agree with. I believe that a thread starter should be able to close (again, by request) their own thread when it's "outdated" though. For example, a hiring thread which does not apply anymore, since all wanted positions have been filled or whatever.
Why is something like having the OP and/or thread title edited to reflect the end of the hiring period not sufficient?
Old 02-02-2009, 02:26 PM
Hired/Fired
CharlieM will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to CharlieM Send a message via MSN to CharlieM
I wish we could see our deleted messages, because im almost positive I posted nothing about Jigga on that post...

"You can discover what your enemy fears most by observing the means he uses to frighten you."

Eric Hoffer

turned that one on you didn't I.
Old 02-02-2009, 02:34 PM
ǝɔɐɹq ʎןɹnɔ
Crow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inverness View Post
Why is something like having the OP and/or thread title edited to reflect the end of the hiring period not sufficient?
Well, that would also work ;D
Old 02-02-2009, 03:17 PM
Administrator
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieM View Post
I wish we could see our deleted messages, because im almost positive I posted nothing about Jigga on that post...
You would be wrong.
INFO ABOUT INFRACTIONS.

READ>THINK>POST
Old 02-02-2009, 10:35 PM
master of infinite loops
LoneAngelIbesu has a spectacular aura aboutLoneAngelIbesu has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to LoneAngelIbesu
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inverness View Post
Those that have worked for you before have the right to inform the community about whatever problems you have.
That's absolutely correct. What I said, though, was that discussing problems with the server content or gameplay is not appropriate in hiring threads.
Old 02-02-2009, 10:36 PM
Hired/Fired
CharlieM will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to CharlieM Send a message via MSN to CharlieM
Quote:
You would be wrong.
Hence why I said almost

"You can discover what your enemy fears most by observing the means he uses to frighten you."

Eric Hoffer

turned that one on you didn't I.