Graal Forums  

Go Back   Graal Forums > PlayerWorlds > PlayerWorlds Main Forum
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 08-26-2008, 02:38 AM
Oinkness will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to Oinkness Send a message via MSN to Oinkness Send a message via Yahoo to Oinkness
Exclamation Rubicon

Rubicon.

Hi there. I wanted to pitch something that had never been done on Graal before, but was also really simple. As a result, I combined my best ideas and came up with a project X. I have dubbed this project, "Rubicon". I will present my ideas in an easy-to-read-manner.

• Features

-Classic gameplay
-3D cell-shaded environment
-2D characters, complete character freedom (no block on heads, bodies, etc)
-Possible 20 hearts and level20 sword
-NPC-based baddies with unique ganis and cell-shaded sprites
(these baddies can have an incredible amount of health and speed)
-High levels of difficulty for certain areas
-swimming will be the main transportation between islands
-Stamina and breath will stop you from swimming too far

Also I want to make a special point of saying, I want a swimming system where you press a different key to control each arm, and the faster you do this, the more speed you have, but the more stamina you use.

-Boats can be taken to different gmaps
-These gmaps will be known as "expansion packs"!
-No PKing in towns, noobs can be slaughtered in 1 hit with level20 sword
-If the alignment is below 40, user goes to hell. If above, user goes to heaven.
-Heaven would grant the user a temporary halo that leaves when the user hits another player. Halo grants invulnerability.
-Hell will be difficult to escape. So level20 sword guys will need that sword, and will think twice about mercilessly pwning nubs.
-Audio dialogue for all townspeople with subtitles
-Musical score composed by me? :x
-Possibility for 50+ quests or sidequests
-Also I should say that the expansion packs would house most of the extra power you get -- we don't want to shoot it all off in one go, do we? People need a reason to play now and on into the future.

And now for my most exciting feature.....

-Flash or MPG-based FMV for cinematic events, storyline

• Graphic Style

As I mentioned above, the graphic style is going to be cell-shaded. You can look at the two attached screenshots at the bottom for a general idea. I wanted to combine the 2D and 3D elements to make a world that felt like a modern world, but with classic gameplay.

There won't be custom bodies or swords, or anything like that. You can do your basic "setsword" or "sethead" to get what you want. The focus is more on fun and not advanced or unnecessary systems. Baddy sprites will be new, but I'll also throw in the classic baddies just for fun. The graphic style is really going to be a celebration of the things that made Graal great with a nostalgic feel while pushing into somewhat of a "next-gen".

The videos for the storyline were planned to be presented as very old footage, like something that has been found in an old archive and is telling the story of you, the main character. I haven't yet figured out what would be easier -- real video, or flash... but one will be chosen at some point.

• Storyline

This is probably the most important part of the world's development, and I have put a good amount of thought into an idea for a world over the last year. That is why I ultimately decided that the video would be a great and unique way to express the storyline on Rubicon... The entire story hasn't been written (I usually like to write as I go along with production, to match the world) but here is the jist of it:

It is a time in the future when the government and educational systems have failed this world, and society has fallen into stupidity. As a result, people fight with sticks and swords instead of the logical "gun" or even "large rock in a slingshot." Furthermore this characteristic of the society would be reflected somewhat in the landscape. It also explains why the story is being shown at a future time on an old-timey video projector.

The player will interact with townspeople who will give assignments that all lead up to a major event. In other words, you might get 5 side-quests that are all linked to one major quest wherein you would really gain most of your power. The side-quests might include a sword level here, a heart there, or maybe even glove or shield power, hehe... When the player completes one "gmap", he can take a boat to the next world -- or expansion. The expansion would be like flying from New York to New England (for example) and would have all new people and new quests for the player to have fun with.

The ultimate goal of the player will probably revolve around defeating evil, and trying to regain some intelligence in the society by removing those who are trying to keep everyone too dumb to see what is going on behind the curtain! *oooh*

• Assistance

I really do not intend to hire a large staff. I have been working on this for a couple days offline. Really, not a long time at all, but I've got a large 3D overworld generated and the tileset is pretty much done. It was super easy considering it was just cell-shading, and the actual Graal engine adds depth due to the deepness or highness of land on its own.

...however, if anyone wants to pitch in with cell-shaded graphics (houses, baddies, etc) and scripting (for jobs, baddies, etc) please contact me. I'm going to try to find out if... maybe.... Stefan would be kind enough to help out a bit on this project... I would really like it to become "the next big thing" if possible.

You can contact me like this:

email: [email protected]
aim: Oinkness
msn: [email protected]

Or forum PM would be great.

I am not stepping down from any other position. This is a side-project I am doing for fun. I'm working offline with it, so there's no world to produce on. If anyone's interested in... providing one... whether as a gift wish or perhaps you gave up on your project... do let me know.

Thanks for reading and I appreciate it. Screenies below.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	screenie1.png
Views:	205
Size:	336.3 KB
ID:	45685   Click image for larger version

Name:	screenie2.png
Views:	236
Size:	221.3 KB
ID:	45686  
Old 08-26-2008, 02:53 AM
the fake one
cbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to cbk1994
I don't like the tileset, it's far too smooth.

Besides that, cool idea.
Old 08-26-2008, 02:55 AM
z0rbi 4 life 🤘
kia345 has a reputation beyond reputekia345 has a reputation beyond reputekia345 has a reputation beyond reputekia345 has a reputation beyond reputekia345 has a reputation beyond reputekia345 has a reputation beyond reputekia345 has a reputation beyond reputekia345 has a reputation beyond reputekia345 has a reputation beyond reputekia345 has a reputation beyond reputekia345 has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oinkness View Post
I love you.
Old 08-26-2008, 02:59 AM
DrakilorP2P is just really niceDrakilorP2P is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oinkness View Post
I thought you meant something completely different at first. Confusing terminology.
Old 08-26-2008, 03:03 AM
Administrator
Darlene159 has much to be proud ofDarlene159 has much to be proud ofDarlene159 has much to be proud ofDarlene159 has much to be proud ofDarlene159 has much to be proud ofDarlene159 has much to be proud of
That sounds awesome.
INFO ABOUT INFRACTIONS.
HOW TO APPLY FOR THE NON-GRAAL RELATED FORUM (<<READ THOROUGHLY!)

SUPPORT: http://support.toonslab.com

NOTE: YOU ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR YOUR OWN POSTS.
READ>THINK>POST
Old 08-26-2008, 03:11 AM
z0rbi 4 life 🤘
kia345 has a reputation beyond reputekia345 has a reputation beyond reputekia345 has a reputation beyond reputekia345 has a reputation beyond reputekia345 has a reputation beyond reputekia345 has a reputation beyond reputekia345 has a reputation beyond reputekia345 has a reputation beyond reputekia345 has a reputation beyond reputekia345 has a reputation beyond reputekia345 has a reputation beyond repute
Also, I suppose I could try and help gani-wise, IM me later.

[email protected]
Old 08-26-2008, 03:24 AM
RIP DarkCloud_PK
maximus_asinus has a reputation beyond reputemaximus_asinus has a reputation beyond reputemaximus_asinus has a reputation beyond reputemaximus_asinus has a reputation beyond reputemaximus_asinus has a reputation beyond reputemaximus_asinus has a reputation beyond reputemaximus_asinus has a reputation beyond reputemaximus_asinus has a reputation beyond reputemaximus_asinus has a reputation beyond reputemaximus_asinus has a reputation beyond repute
I liked the bit about Heaven/Hell, audio dialog (I'd contribute), and unique baddies.

I'd like it a lot more if it wasn't using GK's "3D" landscape, and swimming is boring no matter what.
Old 08-26-2008, 04:37 AM
farte6 is an unknown quantity at this point
Its already been attempted before.......Ever considering taking your talent to a server of quality developers to work as a team instead of taking on your own project?
Old 08-26-2008, 04:51 AM
Incubator
Inverness is a jewel in the roughInverness is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by farte6 View Post
Ever considering taking your talent to a server of quality developers to work as a team instead of taking on your own project?
He tried that already. But he rubs people the wrong way.

How can you not when you think everything is a conspiracy? (WTC7)
Old 08-26-2008, 05:10 AM
Oinkness will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to Oinkness Send a message via MSN to Oinkness Send a message via Yahoo to Oinkness
LOL! Inverness is still upset that I tried to give him information about 9/11 and he just watches Fox News. Oh well, but that has no relevancy to this thread.

Swimming should be fun, but it's not really intended to be a huge thing. Just a way to transport yourself between like the 10 inches between islands.

I promise the 3D landscape will be awesome, I've been running around on it in level editor and it's pretty cool. It's just like running on a regular level, but with some depth now. That's all.

Thanks everyone for the feedback.

Oh yeah and it's 3D by Graal standards... at least until Graal3D comes out.
Old 08-26-2008, 05:35 AM
the fake one
cbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to cbk1994
I still think the tileset is horrid.

I don't like the idea of 3D landscape either, it doesn't fit well with default bodies in my opinion.
Old 08-26-2008, 05:50 AM
Will work for food. Maybe
DustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to DustyPorViva Send a message via MSN to DustyPorViva
I do think it's way too simple, and I'm a guy that loves simple stuff. Then again, he said it was what he was 'going for', not what he was using.
Old 08-26-2008, 09:48 AM
Kanto League Champion
Demisis_P2P has much to be proud ofDemisis_P2P has much to be proud ofDemisis_P2P has much to be proud ofDemisis_P2P has much to be proud ofDemisis_P2P has much to be proud ofDemisis_P2P has much to be proud ofDemisis_P2P has much to be proud of
The main thing that I hateeee with 3d landscapes is that everything is too steep.
The slope from the beach to the grass tiles is too high. Grass should begin where the dark sand is and that should be the average height of all land on the gmap.
And there are so many 'ditches' randomly all over the place that are so steep that walking around feels so slow.

If you could make the 3d terrain flatter and smoother without it automatically turning into sand it'd be good.
Old 08-26-2008, 11:15 AM
Collige, virgo, rosas
RosesLove will become famous soon enough
The idea of it is great, I've been wanting to see a classic styled server be expanded on, or a "next generation" of it. Some of your ideas were good, but when I read 3D/2D I also got a different impression of what you meant by it. Not to bring you down, but I think my original impression was better. Even with that considered though, it still sounds like it'd be a great server.
Old 08-26-2008, 03:03 PM
ᶘ ᵒᴥᵒᶅ...ᶘ ಠᴥಠᶅ❤...ℳℴℯ
Clockwork has a brilliant futureClockwork has a brilliant futureClockwork has a brilliant futureClockwork has a brilliant futureClockwork has a brilliant futureClockwork has a brilliant futureClockwork has a brilliant futureClockwork has a brilliant future
You people judge the tileset made by someone who's talent is music, and before the server is even started. o_o