Graal Forums  

Go Back   Graal Forums > Development Forums > Level Design
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 10-27-2004, 09:51 PM
Developer
Doahh_p2p is on a distinguished road
Exclamation Gmap to Text File

I have heard some probelms about Gmaps and this is how to elimniate a gmap on your server. It does this by making a text file of all the levels (Like you used to have to do) but you use the Gmap to make it easier.

How to change a Gmap into a text map:

1) Open the Gmap file in word or something of the sort.
2) There is a section under Levelsstart (or something) where all of the levels are. Copy that and paste it into a new document and call it mapname.txt.
(For server owners Online)
3) After you do that make a weapon called -Map. In that file put
NPC Code:

//#CLIENTSIDE
if (created) {
setmap mapimage.png,mapfile.txt,(leave both of these blank),;
}

//Put this in the NPC server

if (actionplayeronline) {
addweapon -Map;
}

4) Put the text file in the folder called LEVELS
5) Enjoy!

OFFLINE!!
3) Put the text File in Graal2001 no sub folders!
4) Put this code in the starting level:
NPC Code:

if (created) {
setmap mapimage.png,mapfile.txt,(leave both of these blank),;
}

5) Enjoy!

Now you should all know how to eliminate Gmaps! So no more no bombs or bows problems BUT there is one thing:
If you shoot an arrow it will go all the way across untill it hits something!

Last edited by Doahh_p2p; 10-28-2004 at 01:29 PM..
Old 10-27-2004, 09:54 PM
xAndrewx has much to be proud ofxAndrewx has much to be proud ofxAndrewx has much to be proud ofxAndrewx has much to be proud ofxAndrewx has much to be proud ofxAndrewx has much to be proud ofxAndrewx has much to be proud of
Ugh gmaps are alot better... lol
Old 10-27-2004, 11:33 PM
Developer
Quote:
Originally Posted by xAndrewx
Ugh gmaps are alot better... lol
Don't just say that give people reasons
Old 10-27-2004, 11:53 PM
:pluffy:
Crono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond repute
Gmaps are good. They treate the whole map as one level so when you can see other players in between levels. On the old maps you'd see the players lined up at the beginning of the level. But on a gmap they already load.

Gmaps are also fun because of how easy they are to make. ! for me anyway
Old 10-28-2004, 01:01 AM
Developer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerami
On the old maps you'd see the players lined up at the beginning of the levely
No they don't look at gta and UN they are all over the place XD
Old 10-28-2004, 07:23 AM
dysangelium is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doahh_p2p
I have heard alot of probelms about Gmaps and this is how to elimniate a gmap on your server. It does this by making a text file of all the levels (Like you used to haveto do) but you use the Gmap to make it easier.
I'd be interested in hearing what these problems with Gmaps are. I can't imagine how any problem you name could possibly outweigh it's benefits.

Also, I believe gmaps only load the levels directly around you, not the entire map at once.
Old 10-28-2004, 10:16 AM
xAndrewx has much to be proud ofxAndrewx has much to be proud ofxAndrewx has much to be proud ofxAndrewx has much to be proud ofxAndrewx has much to be proud ofxAndrewx has much to be proud ofxAndrewx has much to be proud of
They load the levels 3x3 around you. Era just got a gmap and it's the best thing to come to era, we can use skateboards/helicopters/moterbikes/hover pads...
so yea, thats my reason. Your reason for not having gmaps are?
Old 10-28-2004, 03:38 PM
:pluffy:
Crono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
No they don't look at gta and UN they are all over the place XD
On UN, the worldmap shows them like that but at the actual levels, before entering the edge of it you'll see some players lined up on it. That and you cant see what they're doing.
Old 10-28-2004, 04:47 PM
Graal Administration
Admins has much to be proud ofAdmins has much to be proud ofAdmins has much to be proud ofAdmins has much to be proud ofAdmins has much to be proud ofAdmins has much to be proud of
For seeing players moving through the surrounding levels on the old maps you and the other players need to have UDP enabled. For completely classic servers it is the only available map type, but it is only clientside and doesn't display npcs or so.
The only possible problem with gmaps is that it can lag if you don't setup it correctly. You need to keep care that the npcs don't contain a lot of client-side script (which slows down the level entering) and don't do too many timeouts in clientside scripts (which would lag all the time because the scripts of all npcs in the 3x3 levels surrounding you are running). This is not really a gmap-problem, but it is making things worse if you already have slow/laggy scripts.
Advantage is that crossing a level border doesn't really lag anymore, npcs can move to other map parts too. That is making level editing simplier, and you can do things like trains, cars, boats and other ways of transportations. Also bullets (shoot command) are going more far and don't stop at the level border.
Old 10-29-2004, 04:27 AM
Developer
ahh ok (Must be i just can't set it up right) Is it just me or do signs not work also?
Old 10-29-2004, 05:18 AM
dysangelium is on a distinguished road
Quote:
ahh ok (Must be i just can't set it up right) Is it just me or do signs not work also?
Sign's don't work. Just use a script instead.
Old 10-29-2004, 10:21 AM
ya setshape; if you do the sign way it goes to every level :P