Graal Forums  

Go Back   Graal Forums > Development Forums > NPC Scripting
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 11-21-2007, 02:56 AM
[TServerDeveloper]
Novo will become famous soon enough
AI Steering Behaviour

http://www.red3d.com/cwr/steer/gdc99/

This talks about steering behavior for AI... Basically, not how to reach point A to B, but how, on each step, you can eventually reach it without knowing the full path in the intermediate steps. At worse, it is an interesting read... At best, you might learn something!

Personally, I don't know how I'd implement it in GS2... But I'll be having fun with it in Java.

Abstract
This paper presents solutions for one requirement of autonomous characters in animation and games: the ability to navigate around their world in a life-like and improvisational manner. These “steering behaviors” are largely independent of the particulars of the character’s means of locomotion. Combinations of steering behaviors can be used to achieve higher level goals (For example: get from here to there while avoiding obstacles, follow this corridor, join that group of characters...) This paper divides motion behavior into three levels. It will focus on the middle level of steering behaviors, briefly describe the lower level of locomotion, and touch lightly on the higher level of goal setting and strategy.
Old 11-21-2007, 09:05 PM
Ruler of the graalaxy
JkWhoSaysNi is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to JkWhoSaysNi
I actually made a very basic line follower in GS2 using a simple 2 neuron model. It was kinda buggy on right angles but it worked nicely on curves

I started adapting it into a maze solver but never finished it. (no surprise there )

Coming soon (Hopefully:P)