Graal Forums  

Go Back   Graal Forums > Development Forums > Future Improvements
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 02-17-2007, 10:56 AM
Gone
zell12 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via ICQ to zell12 Send a message via AIM to zell12 Send a message via MSN to zell12
Tile Transparency?

Might be good to be able to set tile transparency or something? Could go well with the new editor, being able to build levels in layers...

Reason I thought of this was for classic servers and swimming in water... Would be nice if there was a way to somehow see a bit of the body or something under the water when swimming... there would probably have to be some other changes, idk... e.e
Old 02-17-2007, 11:06 AM
My empire of dirt
Twinny is just really niceTwinny is just really nice
Send a message via AIM to Twinny
Quote:
Originally Posted by zell12 View Post
Reason I thought of this was for classic servers and swimming in water... Would be nice if there was a way to somehow see a bit of the body or something under the water when swimming... there would probably have to be some other changes, idk... e.e
I'd like to be able to have transparent water layer over a seabed layer. Set the player z to dive under to the seabed .

I don't how easy this would be but could you zoom past the water layer to see more of the seabed layer? In this way, the seabed would look really small untill you deep dive =D

With the same idea, you could layer a building so you could walk on the roof of the building, slip and zoom into the ground layer until you hit it .

Last edited by Twinny; 02-17-2007 at 01:44 PM..
Old 02-17-2007, 11:39 AM
Tee Hee
smirt362 has a brilliant futuresmirt362 has a brilliant futuresmirt362 has a brilliant futuresmirt362 has a brilliant futuresmirt362 has a brilliant futuresmirt362 has a brilliant futuresmirt362 has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to smirt362 Send a message via MSN to smirt362
I'd like to have a blank tile where you can put a background image behind it. Imagine a vista overlooking the wilderness below...

Don Hertzfeldt <3
Old 02-17-2007, 01:34 PM
ǝɔɐɹq ʎןɹnɔ
Crow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond repute
Meh wants layers :o Would be pretty useful, so you dont need 4 tiles for a regular stone, then again 4 tiles for the stone on snow tiles, again 4 tiles for the stone on sand tiles....would be nice ;o
Old 02-17-2007, 02:03 PM
My empire of dirt
Twinny is just really niceTwinny is just really nice
Send a message via AIM to Twinny
Quote:
Originally Posted by smirt362 View Post
I'd like to have a blank tile where you can put a background image behind it. Imagine a vista overlooking the wilderness below...
I've always wanted to do a massive cliff lookout which seems to drop down into a vast canyon of trees. It may be possible with zoom on layers .
Old 02-17-2007, 02:11 PM
Graal Administration
Admins has much to be proud ofAdmins has much to be proud ofAdmins has much to be proud ofAdmins has much to be proud ofAdmins has much to be proud ofAdmins has much to be proud of
There is already support for tile layers in Graal, and they can use alpha transparency. It is not fully finished yet though.
Old 02-17-2007, 02:58 PM
Master of Puppets
xXziroXx has a brilliant futurexXziroXx has a brilliant futurexXziroXx has a brilliant futurexXziroXx has a brilliant futurexXziroXx has a brilliant futurexXziroXx has a brilliant futurexXziroXx has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to xXziroXx Send a message via MSN to xXziroXx
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan View Post
There is already support for tile layers in Graal, and they can use alpha transparency. It is not fully finished yet though.
Care to post an example in the Scripting forum how to use them? Not everyone know.

"A delayed game is eventually good, but a rushed game is forever bad." - Shigeru Miyamoto
Old 02-17-2007, 03:08 PM
:pluffy:
Crono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond repute
hmm, i dont get why people just dont want for Graal 3D to finish...

and then make a semi top-down view of graal (the way it is today minus the floor and such. think of the mmorpg that starts with an r and replace the anime sprites with real 3D graalian characters :P). you could do so much more then.
Old 02-17-2007, 03:11 PM
ǝɔɐɹq ʎןɹnɔ
Crow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan View Post
Not really alpha transparency, but part transparency in the tiles themselves...not sure if that already works. If so, add that to the editor maybe?O.o
Old 02-17-2007, 03:48 PM
Old Bee
konidias will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to konidias
lol we've been asking for tile layers for years... Stefan we don't want Graal to just support it, we want to be able to use it.

Just the ability to walk UNDER bits of treetops and roofs on houses and stuff... without having to lay down treetop images on every single tree or create whole house roof images so that players can walk under a small portion...

Also a way to animate tiles would be nice... Having to use the type 1 tileset and having maybe like 3 tiles for animation is not exactly cutting it... Animated water would look awesome... (without needing to use seperate gif images laying over the normal water...)

I'd actually like to see some sort of "tile property editor" where you can edit the behavior of tiles in the normal tilesets... Like by clicking an option "draw on layer 3" or something then you could use the mouse to click on tiles (or click/drag to select areas) and it would highlight those tiles with a color... Like in the attached example the player has clicked the tree top sides and house top edges and it turns them red so that it's known they draw over the player on layer 3 or something.

What I'm saying is instead of having to define tile properties via script... there should be a new tileset option for addtiledef where you can add your own from a saved definitions file. (of course, someone would need to make the default pics1 definitions file that people could work from)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	exampletile.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	64.8 KB
ID:	39648  

Put this image in your sig if you support Bomy Island! (g2k1 revision)
play bomberman while you wait!

Old 02-17-2007, 07:06 PM
Psionic Youth
Tyhm will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by konidias View Post
lol we've been asking for tile layers for years... Stefan we don't want Graal to just support it, we want to be able to use it.

Just the ability to walk UNDER bits of treetops and roofs on houses and stuff... without having to lay down treetop images on every single tree or create whole house roof images so that players can walk under a small portion...

Also a way to animate tiles would be nice... Having to use the type 1 tileset and having maybe like 3 tiles for animation is not exactly cutting it... Animated water would look awesome... (without needing to use seperate gif images laying over the normal water...)

I'd actually like to see some sort of "tile property editor" where you can edit the behavior of tiles in the normal tilesets... Like by clicking an option "draw on layer 3" or something then you could use the mouse to click on tiles (or click/drag to select areas) and it would highlight those tiles with a color... Like in the attached example the player has clicked the tree top sides and house top edges and it turns them red so that it's known they draw over the player on layer 3 or something.

What I'm saying is instead of having to define tile properties via script... there should be a new tileset option for addtiledef where you can add your own from a saved definitions file. (of course, someone would need to make the default pics1 definitions file that people could work from)
Hear hear...

incidentally, what happens if you addtiledef a mng into the tileset...?

"Power does not corrupt. Fear corrupts, perhaps the fear of a loss of power."- John Steinbeck
"I'm only acting retarded, what's your excuse?" queried the Gord.
- My pet, the Levelup Gnome

http://forums.graalonline.com/forums...&postcount=233
Old 02-17-2007, 07:15 PM
ǝɔɐɹq ʎןɹnɔ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyhm View Post
Hear hear...

incidentally, what happens if you addtiledef a mng into the tileset...?
Not sure, did you already try that?O.o
Old 02-17-2007, 08:26 PM
Gone
zell12 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via ICQ to zell12 Send a message via AIM to zell12 Send a message via MSN to zell12
I think if you pull up some old threads I started this whole idea...

I really hope there is some good functionality with it, it would make it so much better.
Old 02-17-2007, 08:43 PM
Tee Hee
smirt362 has a brilliant futuresmirt362 has a brilliant futuresmirt362 has a brilliant futuresmirt362 has a brilliant futuresmirt362 has a brilliant futuresmirt362 has a brilliant futuresmirt362 has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to smirt362 Send a message via MSN to smirt362
Quote:
Originally Posted by konidias View Post

It would be nice if you didn't even need to script it in or define it in another program.
Like have tile layers built into the editor and you could just select which layer you want to place tiles on, with some layers being for above the player and another for being for animation or what not.

Don Hertzfeldt <3
Old 02-17-2007, 08:50 PM
Old Bee
konidias will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to konidias
It seems simple enough in theory to add... The only problem I see is if people find a way to modify the properties of tiles via a 3rd party program (memory editor or something) then they could change blocking tiles to non-blocking and that could cause some big problems.

Put this image in your sig if you support Bomy Island! (g2k1 revision)
play bomberman while you wait!