Graal Forums  

Go Back   Graal Forums > Development Forums > Graphic Design
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 09-03-2006, 01:58 AM
Androk2 is on a distinguished road
MS Paint + Tileset... How?

I made afew tiles and wanted to see what they look like in a level but I can't seem to be able to put said tiles into a tileset in MS paint without losing colors. I also can't transfer the whole tileset to anew image because it won't let me select the whole tileset. Can someoen please help? =(
Old 09-03-2006, 02:03 AM
Registered Omega
killerogue is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to killerogue Send a message via MSN to killerogue
z.z Dude. Here's what you do. Get a tileset template. I'd be happy to post one I made here. Copy and paste pieces of the tiles at a time instead of trying to copy and paste the whole thing.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tilesettemplate.png
Views:	208
Size:	13.3 KB
ID:	37683  

REMEMBER, IF YOU REP ME, LEAVE A NAME!

Quote:
Originally Posted by haunter View Post
Graal admins don't die. They go to hell and regroup.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inverness View Post
Without scripters, your graphics and levels wouldn't do anything but sit there and look pretty.
Old 09-03-2006, 08:17 AM
Darky
Darkyoshi12345 is on a distinguished road
On the template, where do the beds and chairs belong?
Old 09-03-2006, 08:20 AM
Master Tux
WanDaMan is a jewel in the roughWanDaMan is a jewel in the rough
Send a message via MSN to WanDaMan
You can't transfer to graal via MSP; it's not 256 colours or something. Ugh - post the tileset and I'm sure someone will convert it to the correct format
Old 09-03-2006, 11:36 AM
Banned
Magadal will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkyoshi12345
On the template, where do the beds and chairs belong?
Beds go to the green, chairs to the red one.

@Wanda: I would if he posted it ;o
Old 09-03-2006, 02:10 PM
TonyRivers2 is on a distinguished road
paint uses windows standard websafe color pallette I think its 32k to safely import all your colors without distortion you would need a different program. I have paint shop pro 7 and in a program such as that you would import in 16 mil and reduce to 256k then set your trans. Good luck
Old 09-03-2006, 06:10 PM
Old Bee
konidias will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to konidias
MS Paint is by far the easiest tool to use when making tilesets... I really don't see the confusion...

I don't think anyone here is addressing your problems, they all just sort of threw in some answers about unrelated things... let's actually break down your problems and answer them correctly.

"I made afew tiles and wanted to see what they look like in a level but I can't seem to be able to put said tiles into a tileset in MS paint without losing colors."

This is because the tileset can only be 256 colors (as far as I'm aware) but this might have changed... Either way, MS Paint can only save in 256 colors. That doesn't mean it can't handle more than 256 colors while editing (as far as I know). I also think you might be openining the tileset WITH MS Paint, which makes MS Paint use that tileset's palette. In order to not have color loss, you should open a new MS Paint window and then copy/paste the entire tileset into that window. You can do this by opening the tileset through an image viewer or something like IE, then right clicking the image choosing copy and then pasting that into MS Paint.

Once you get the tileset in there you should be able to copy and paste tiles from another MS Paint window into the window you pasted the tileset in.

MS Paint only saves in 256 colors however, so if your tileset has more than 256 colors you need to save in another program. I don't really advise using more than 256 colors in a tileset anyway, as gif images can only be 256 colors so using Graal's gif2mng program to turn the gif into a png requires that you first save the tileset as a gif image... meaning you're limited to 256 colors anyway.

"I also can't transfer the whole tileset to anew image because it won't let me select the whole tileset."

If you mean you can't select the whole tileset in MS Paint... all you need to do is go up to the Edit toolbar and select the "Select All" option. (or hit ctrl+A on your keyboard) Then just right click the image and select copy. (or to just use nothing but the keyboard you can do ctrl+A and then ctrl+C and you've selected and copied the whole thing)

Okay after all of that typing it might be confusing so I'll break it down as to how I do it...

I use a new ms paint file and paste the old tileset in. Then I either expand the canvas so I can work on tiles directly in that window, or I use a seperate window to work on tiles and then copy and paste them in. I then select the entire tileset and copy it. I paste it into a different program which lets me see how many colors the tileset is using... once I know it's 256 or less, I can then safely save my tileset as a bmp in mspaint (for later editing). I then take my copied tileset and paste it into photoshop (can use any program that saves to gif though really) and then I save it through there. (note, when you paste the tileset into different programs it might change the palette of the tileset while it's inside the program, but usually it saves the image with the palette you used in MS Paint.

For example, when I copy and paste a tileset from MS Paint to Photoshop, the colors are slightly different while it's in photoshop. (due to using a different palette setup in Photoshop) but when I save the file as a gif using Photoshop, the colors remain unchanged and are normal again.

You just have to remember that a gif can only be 256 colors which means your tileset is limited to 256 colors. (unless Stefan added the option to have jpg tilesets but I'm not sure)

In order to prevent color loss, any new tiles you make need to use the colors from the existing Graal tileset, or you need to get rid of some colors in the tileset in order to make room for new ones... Hope that cleared it up for you... lol.
Old 09-03-2006, 07:35 PM
Sr Marketing Strategist
Elk has a brilliant futureElk has a brilliant futureElk has a brilliant futureElk has a brilliant futureElk has a brilliant futureElk has a brilliant futureElk has a brilliant future
Send a message via ICQ to Elk Send a message via AIM to Elk Send a message via MSN to Elk Send a message via Yahoo to Elk
konidias you write way too much... :S
I'm too lazy to read that. Good work though

Old 09-04-2006, 05:30 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by konidias
Alot of words.
That I have all read! <3 You answered my question. But created another one.
What if I do not own any other programs? Or to be exact:
How would I go about removing colors from the Graal tileset? Is there a single option in MS Paint?

PS: (I'll try and catch you online tommorow so you don't have to waste your posts! But if someone else knows the answer that'd be sweet!)

[Edit] On a sidenote, having all your tiles saved in "tile#.png" is TEHSUCK!
Old 09-04-2006, 06:08 AM
Registered Omega
Lol, no such thing as wasting posts Androk!!!

Quote:
Quote:
Without scripters, your graphics and levels wouldn't do anything but sit there and look pretty.
Old 09-04-2006, 06:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by killerogue
Lol, no such thing as wasting posts Androk!!!
He's limited to 1 post every 8 hours or something because he's classic. I'd rather he spend it on Graal 2001 Boards =P
Old 09-04-2006, 06:59 AM
Registered Omega
=P Good Point.

Quote:
Quote: