Graal Forums  

Go Back   Graal Forums > General Forums > Graal Main Forum (English)
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 02-23-2006, 02:03 AM
Banned
Warcaptain is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Warcaptain Send a message via AIM to Warcaptain Send a message via Yahoo to Warcaptain
Playerworld Graphics

Not sure where to post this since its regarding graal online policy and playerworlds.. but not neccesarily JUST playerworlds... but I figure someone will move it if its in the wrong place.

What happens to the graphics a playerworld uses when it is gone? For example.. what happens when a playerworld makes a new version of pics1 and the playerworld project is closed. Does any playerworld have the rights to use these graphics? Or do we have to ask the former managers permission. What if we cant contact the manager?

Theres a graphic I want to use from a playerworld that is down, but I do not want to use it without knowing that I am okay to use it.

If anyone can either answer my questions above and/or tell me who did the graphics for playerworld: Terra.. and how to contact them.. that would be great.

Thanks!
Old 02-23-2006, 02:08 AM
lemonlime rhino
Clash is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Clash
1) No.
2) No.
3) No.

Go make your own content and don't mooch off of other peoples work.
Old 02-23-2006, 02:16 AM
Canadian
Nitro2030ce is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Nitro2030ce Send a message via MSN to Nitro2030ce
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warcaptain
Not sure where to post this since its regarding graal online policy and playerworlds.. but not neccesarily JUST playerworlds... but I figure someone will move it if its in the wrong place.

What happens to the graphics a playerworld uses when it is gone? For example.. what happens when a playerworld makes a new version of pics1 and the playerworld project is closed. Does any playerworld have the rights to use these graphics? Or do we have to ask the former managers permission. What if we cant contact the manager?

Theres a graphic I want to use from a playerworld that is down, but I do not want to use it without knowing that I am okay to use it.

If anyone can either answer my questions above and/or tell me who did the graphics for playerworld: Terra.. and how to contact them.. that would be great.

Thanks!
I think you are allowed to with permission of the creator/owner of the server aslong as you give full credit where needed.
Correct me if i am wrong, dont throttle me for something I didnt know.
Old 02-23-2006, 02:35 AM
Banned
Send a message via ICQ to Warcaptain Send a message via AIM to Warcaptain Send a message via Yahoo to Warcaptain
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clash
1) No.
2) No.
3) No.

Go make your own content and don't mooch off of other peoples work.

Uhm.. in the words of Stefan:
"..reuse things. Dont try to reinvent the wheel."

There is nothing wrong with using graphics that arent being used. Ask the artist, I am sure she would want them to be used. Otherwise all their hard work is for nothing.
Old 02-23-2006, 02:49 AM
Graal Administration
Admins has much to be proud ofAdmins has much to be proud ofAdmins has much to be proud ofAdmins has much to be proud ofAdmins has much to be proud ofAdmins has much to be proud of
Right ask the people who made the tileset if its ok to use for another project
Old 02-23-2006, 04:50 AM
Starting not to love you
Curt1zzle has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to Curt1zzle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan
Right ask the people who made the tileset if its ok to use for another project
And if they can't be contacted?

This message has been deleted by Sam. Reason: you should better stop it now
Old 02-23-2006, 05:49 AM
PipBoy Extraordinaire!
Rick is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curt1zzle
Ask Stefan probably. It's more polite to ask the original creators though.
Old 02-23-2006, 05:50 AM
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curt1zzle

Yeah thats the thing.. I found out who made the graphics (who was also manager of the PW) but no one knows how to contact her (Ivie)

So.. what are my options here?
Old 02-23-2006, 10:09 AM
Registered
--Chris-- will become famous soon enough
Send a message via MSN to --Chris--
Anything submitted to GO technically belongs to them. However, where it's used is usually respectful to the creator. Stefan, a GM (Ibonic), or anyone with high global authority can give the "ok" but to avoid conflict they probably won't :P Personally, I think once the manager has vanished for a hell of a long time and there's not even a sign of a possible rebirth of the respective PW then it's fine...BUT! - if they do happen to come back and request it to be taken down then it should be (WITHOUT QUESTION NOR HESITATION :P)

Sometimes there are situations where there's a manager change on the server that "borrowed" the graphic and they'll be ignorant and cause a problem -_-' That's where I come in lol I believe it's best you get someone to make a unique graphic for you man, it can't be that special, can it? :x

Old 02-23-2006, 11:32 AM
Old Bee
konidias will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to konidias
If anyone ever used my Oasis graphics without my permission, I would be extremely angry.

I also never plan to let anyone use them, so if anyone does, it wasn't because I agreed to it.

Put this image in your sig if you support Bomy Island! (g2k1 revision)
play bomberman while you wait!

Old 02-23-2006, 03:17 PM
Level Designer
Aknts will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to Aknts
Wanting to use something from the ToT tileset? Not being rude but I was given that tileset when GodSpeed worked on Krynn. It is property of Krynn now.
Old 02-23-2006, 09:06 PM
Banned
Spanky:

Unfortunately theres a problem with that.
Godspeed also gave me the tileset 2 years ago to use on Enigma Graal.. but the artist who made them (Ivie) was using them for her server, Terra.

Unixmad, Stefan and the GM (at that time Nemesis) all decided that the creative rights for something returns to the artist after a playerworld goes if they choose to use it.

I was forced to take down the tileset.. and then I was even fired by a corrupt Nemesis for still having it in a temp directory in my FTP -_-'

So.. you cant use them without Ivies permission unfortunately :-\
Old 02-23-2006, 09:08 PM
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by konidias
If anyone ever used my Oasis graphics without my permission, I would be extremely angry.

I also never plan to let anyone use them, so if anyone does, it wasn't because I agreed to it.

Not like I want to, but I'm curious why?

Wouldnt you want to see your graphics actually used?

Ive given away lots of little scripts and systems over the year because I want to see them used rather than sitting in my scripts folder..

I just think its stilly to keep making new great things when theres other great things already made that can be used finally. I know Stefan feels the same way.. this whole game was built on reusing old things. (Zelda Online, Crossfire, TorqueScript)
Old 02-24-2006, 02:37 PM
Level Designer
Aknts will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to Aknts
Quote:
Spanky:

Unfortunately theres a problem with that.
Godspeed also gave me the tileset 2 years ago to use on Enigma Graal.. but the artist who made them (Ivie) was using them for her server, Terra.

Unixmad, Stefan and the GM (at that time Nemesis) all decided that the creative rights for something returns to the artist after a playerworld goes if they choose to use it.

I was forced to take down the tileset.. and then I was even fired by a corrupt Nemesis for still having it in a temp directory in my FTP -_-'

So.. you cant use them without Ivies permission unfortunately :-\

She worked for a server, so whatever she made is the servers. According to what that says level makers can take their levels off servers when they leave them.

Also like stated before, once they are uploaded the GFX are property of Graal Online. Ivie doesn't play anymore so why can't you use them? There is no reason you shouldn't be able too. Since Krynn and GodSpeeds server merged and I took on the tileset a long long time ago, before Ivie started her server, I should be able to use it if I please. Our merger was ok'd thru Stefan and he knew what I got in return for merging with GodSpeed. So the tileset is mine. War just message me on aim.
Old 02-24-2006, 02:48 PM
xAndrewx has much to be proud ofxAndrewx has much to be proud ofxAndrewx has much to be proud ofxAndrewx has much to be proud ofxAndrewx has much to be proud ofxAndrewx has much to be proud ofxAndrewx has much to be proud of
Quote:
Not like I want to, but I'm curious why?

Wouldnt you want to see your graphics actually used?

Ive given away lots of little scripts and systems over the year because I want to see them used rather than sitting in my scripts folder..

I just think its stilly to keep making new great things when theres other great things already made that can be used finally. I know Stefan feels the same way.. this whole game was built on reusing old things. (Zelda Online, Crossfire, TorqueScript)
It wouldn't be the same, It's like someone re-building your vision of Enigma.