Old 12-02-2005, 02:51 AM
Scripter
ZeLpH_MyStiK is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to ZeLpH_MyStiK Send a message via Yahoo to ZeLpH_MyStiK
How To Use The Forums Without Causing People To Hate You

1) As stated in the rules:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lance
1) Don't post here just asking for scripts, or asking for people to fix scripts that are beyond your skill level.
If you post once or twice, with somewhat decent questions, we might consider helping you. However, please do not repeatedly spam the forum with questions that you can help yourself with.
The community here discuss scripting, however, we DO NOT and WILL NOT make you scripts or repair scripts. If you're trying to learn, please refer to scripting documents such as npcprogramming.doc, commands.rtf, newfeatures200x.txt, GraalWiki. If you’re trying to create a script for a server, then hire a scripter, we do not work for you.

2) Learn how to quote properly. If you are replying to someone, whether from an old thread or a current thread, use quotes so other readers know what you’re referring/responding to. Quote only necessary details, so that if you were someone that has never visited the forums before, you would still understand it.

3) Use proper English. If you do not use proper English, we cannot help you. It’s as simple as that. We can’t help if we can’t understand you. Check for typos, and grammar mistakes before you click post.
Old 12-02-2005, 02:59 AM
KiwiSaria is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to KiwiSaria
Very nice

Words to live by ^_-
Old 12-02-2005, 03:11 AM
Deek2 is on a distinguished road
I think the problem here is that most people don't understand the value of work when it comes to programming. You can't post a problem here and expect us to fix it for you. We all had to work to achieve the skill we had now, and I suspect you'll never get better if you have to mostly rely on other people. Sure there's learning and stuff, but learning is only half the process here. I'm merely talking about experience. The most we can do for you without interfering with this process is to merely guide you. That doesn't imply making scripts for you without any effort on your part.
Old 12-02-2005, 03:13 AM
oh snaps
napo_p2p has a spectacular aura aboutnapo_p2p has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to napo_p2p Send a message via MSN to napo_p2p
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeLpH_MyStiK
1) As stated in the rules:

If you post once or twice, with somewhat decent questions, we might consider helping you. However, please do not repeatedly spam the forum with questions that you can help yourself with.
The community here discuss scripting, however, we DO NOT and WILL NOT make you scripts or repair scripts. If you're trying to learn, please refer to scripting documents such as npcprogramming.doc, commands.rtf, newfeatures200x.txt, GraalWiki. If you’re trying to create a script for a server, then hire a scripter, we do not work for you.

2) Learn how to quote properly. If you are replying to someone, whether from an old thread or a current thread, use quotes so other readers know what you’re referring/responding to. Quote only necessary details, so that if you were someone that has never visited the forums before, you would still understand it.

3) Use proper English. If you do not use proper English, we cannot help you. It’s as simple as that. We can’t help if we can’t understand you. Check for typos, and grammar mistakes before you click post.
very good

now pls srcipt me a door thx XD.
Tempus neminem non manet.
Noli manere tempus.
Carpe Diem

Seize the Day.

Last edited by Lance; 12-02-2005 at 05:21 AM.. Reason: Please don't misrepresent who you are quoting.
Old 12-02-2005, 03:26 AM
Scripter
What? I am certainly not Stefan.

P.S. Will someone sticky this thread?

Last edited by ZeLpH_MyStiK; 12-02-2005 at 04:13 AM..
Old 12-02-2005, 05:20 AM
dark overlord
Lance is on a distinguished road
Quote:
P.S. Will someone sticky this thread?
This shouldn't be stickied.
Old 12-02-2005, 05:22 AM
oh snaps
napo_p2p has a spectacular aura aboutnapo_p2p has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to napo_p2p Send a message via MSN to napo_p2p
Quote:
What? I am certainly not Stefan.
I was trying to break all of your 'rules'...

Too bad Lance ruined it .
Tempus neminem non manet.
Noli manere tempus.
Carpe Diem

Seize the Day.
Old 12-02-2005, 06:16 AM
prozac424242 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to prozac424242 Send a message via AIM to prozac424242
Quote:
1) please refer to scripting documents such as npcprogramming.doc, commands.rtf, newfeatures200x.txt, GraalWiki.
In case some people very new to Graal don't know, I will tell you:
The first three files are located in your graal folder, the same place as the Graal.exe file.

The wiki is located at http://wiki.graal.us
and I have put some useful links to the wiki in my signature that may answer some common questions.

Also if you are new here, and the tone of the initial post to this thread and agreements with it seems unfriendly, selfish and rude, then welcome to the scripting forums. To a certain extent (in terms of getting a straightforward and helpful answer) have gone downhill in the past several years. The very sunject line of this post contains a fallacy, which you may have noticed. You can not make someone hate you. Hating someone is a choice that a person makes independently of whatever circumstances may happen. Most people are conditioned subsconcisously through their upbringing to react certain ways in what and who they like and hate, but whether they chose to believe it or not, every action and decision that anyone makes is becasue of their own independent choice.

Five years ago you could ask someone for an npc and you would get a handfull of examples to study and learn from. Not so anymore. Still, there are a few examples in the above mentioned documents, but the attitude around here is the equivelant of welcoming someone who does not speak English into an English speaking community and handing them a dictionary without telling them in what order to use the words.

Deal with it folks. It's what this service that you pay money for provides you with. But sometimes, you find the couple of nice people who will actually give you the answer you are looking for.

Useful links:
Graal Stats
Client Script Functions-GS1 to GS2
Serverside Script Functions-Gscript page
Particle Engine-Player Attributes
Server Options-Admin rights-Gmaps
Quote:
Originally Posted by Admins
Thanks for developing and improving playerworlds and such

Last edited by prozac424242; 12-02-2005 at 06:26 AM..
Old 12-02-2005, 06:52 AM
Scripter
Quote:
Originally Posted by prozac424242
but the attitude around here is the equivelant of welcoming someone who does not speak English into an English speaking community and handing them a dictionary without telling them in what order to use the words.
I wasn't born in an English-speaking community, nor did I have much help in learning English when I moved to New York. I still learned English in less than a year.
Old 12-02-2005, 06:49 PM
Okiesmokie
ApothiX is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deek2
I think the problem here is that most people don't understand the value of work when it comes to programming.
Programming != Scripting.

And isn't this just basically restating the rules in the thread that is already stickied?

[06:24:19] * Parts: Skyld (i=silent@unaffiliated/skyld) ("Perhaps Okiesmokie did not realise that I like the boys. ")
Old 12-02-2005, 10:27 PM
dark overlord
Quote:
Also if you are new here, and the tone of the initial post to this thread and agreements with it seems unfriendly, selfish and rude, then welcome to the scripting forums. To a certain extent (in terms of getting a straightforward and helpful answer) have gone downhill in the past several years.
Care to support that claim? Perhaps you should provide some examples.

Quote:
The very sunject line of this post contains a fallacy, which you may have noticed. You can not make someone hate you. Hating someone is a choice that a person makes independently of whatever circumstances may happen. Most people are conditioned subsconcisously through their upbringing to react certain ways in what and who they like and hate, but whether they chose to believe it or not, every action and decision that anyone makes is becasue of their own independent choice.
Surely you aren't telling us that you can't influence someone to dislike you. Because, yaknow, you can. It's not usually very difficult.

Quote:
Five years ago you could ask someone for an npc and you would get a handfull of examples to study and learn from. Not so anymore. Still, there are a few examples in the above mentioned documents, but the attitude around here is the equivelant of welcoming someone who does not speak English into an English speaking community and handing them a dictionary without telling them in what order to use the words.
That's a poor analogy. Also, the scripting forum rules have not significantly changed since the days of Kaimetsu and Falados' moderation.

Quote:
Deal with it folks. It's what this service that you pay money for provides you with. But sometimes, you find the couple of nice people who will actually give you the answer you are looking for.
As long as the question isn't "do my work for me," there shouldn't any problems answering questions.
Old 12-02-2005, 11:42 PM
Quote:
Care to support that claim? Perhaps you should provide some examples.
Hmm perhaps it's not as bad as I thought.
http://forums.graalonline.com/forums...ad.php?t=62514
http://forums.graalonline.com/forums...ad.php?t=61829
People did help me.

Quote:
Surely you aren't telling us that you can't influence someone to dislike you. Because, yaknow, you can. It's not usually very difficult.
You just proved me right. Becasue right there you revealed that you believe that its not difficult for people to do things that casue you to judge them to be people not worth liking. And such a judgement process is one that you were influenced to adapting to set of habits. You have a choice to take a good look at the way you view and almost instantly judge other people, and everyone has a set of natual reponses that they are likely to go to first. But when you transcend your own habits, and observe yourself reacting to others, you can find that anyone can improve themselves by making different choices on how to react to others.

Quote:
That's a poor analogy. Also, the scripting forum rules have not significantly changed since the days of Kaimetsu and Falados' moderation.
I think I was some type of graal forums before either of them.
Perhaps I was a bit harsh there, and for that I apologize. On looking at the wiki, there are some places where how it works is explained, it just isn't tabulated in a numerically ordered table of contents and sections like npcprogramming.doc or any professional/educational programming language, or textbook/learning tool, usually is. And if there is a rule against posting of fully functional code, then that rule should be removed. Becasue anyone can go to graal.net and post or copy/downlaod free npcs from the code snippets page ... so why not here? Both these forums and graal.net are owned by Cyberjourers, right? So why different rules about sharing npc code on different web pages?

Quote:
As long as the question isn't "do my work for me," there shouldn't any problems answering questions.
On that, I agree.
Show what you tried to do, then we can fill in the blanks for you, within reason, on a case by case basis.

Useful links:
Graal Stats
Quote:
Old 12-02-2005, 11:50 PM
dark overlord
Quote:
You just proved me right. Becasue right there you revealed that you believe that its not difficult for people to do things that casue you to judge them to be people not worth liking.
Huh, please do not tell me that things I did not say proved you right. I said nothing about how I judge people.

Quote:
I think I was some type of graal forums before either of them.

But seriously, can you show that it was the way you describe back then? Furthermore, can you justify your claim that this way is the way it ought to be?

Quote:
Perhaps I was a bit harsh there, and for that I apologize. On looking at the wiki, there are some places where how it works is explained, it just isn't tabulated in a numerically ordered table of contents and sections like npcprogramming.doc or any professional/educational programming language, or textbook/learning tool, usually is.
"Numerically ordered table of contents"? A wiki's a wiki. Have you used wikipedia before?
Old 12-03-2005, 12:08 AM
Actually, before the Graal wiki, I have not used a wiki before, no.
The lack of underlines under the links confuses me as to what is plain text and what is a link. Color is not the first thing I look for when looking for links.

In fact, I would love to see Google and other search engines apply the Dewy decimal system or some other unified organizational numbers to the entire contents of the Internet, and for ICANN to require that you register which number/categories your domain name should be located under.

Gee Lance, what little you have said is relvealing volumes about your arrogant passive agressive irritability. I mean no offense, I am just being observational. and I am likely relvealing a lot about myself too. At least you are not as bad as Kaimetsu, and for that I am thankful.

Useful links:
Graal Stats
Quote:
Old 12-03-2005, 08:05 PM
Scripter
Quote:
In fact, I would love to see Google and other search engines apply the Dewy decimal system or some other unified organizational numbers to the entire contents of the Internet
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	hmm.JPG
Views:	140
Size:	5.5 KB
ID:	34462