Graal Forums  

Go Back   Graal Forums > PlayerWorlds > PlayerWorlds Main Forum
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 06-10-2002, 01:45 AM
Banned
royce is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to royce
PW Admin opinion plz?

Ok. First of all I would like to hear some opinions on this thread. Do you think that it is right, to use something that is on another up and running playerworld, excluding Graal 2002,2001, and Classic? Even though it was given to the playerworld from the owner of the other server, is that right? I mean, still its ripping what they have, no matter if you think about it as a gift or not, its cheap that you could not alteast make your own thing. Also, there is something else I would like to talk about. Do you think it is right, for a playerworld to find something then just modify it a bit, then call it theirs? Basically you spend a week on a script, after a month some ppl get it, then its all over the place. You dont want anyone to have it, everyone knows you made it. Here comes along a playerworld admin, sees that his staff DID NOT make it, but just modified it a bit. Seeing that it is on that playerworld, it is in ownership of that playerworld and the PW Owner is responsible for what goes on with that playerworld. Basically, before this dumb account suff, I could get bomy gfx, draw some big ears on them, then call them bemeys, then upload that to a non-p2p playerworld. I need some feedback, Gastly disaggrees with everything I say reguarding this.
Old 06-10-2002, 01:53 AM
Prime Rib of Micronesia
warp2ukew will become famous soon enough
I know this cant be random coming from you so what up? and I think its alright to modify a script as long as it doesnt work the same
Old 06-10-2002, 01:55 AM
Have A Drink On Me
AlexH is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to AlexH Send a message via MSN to AlexH
You can't claim ideas.
So if you have something on your server then every other server has it too, there's nothing you can do about it.
But if the other servers have used your same script that's a different story.
Old 06-10-2002, 01:55 AM
Banned
Quote:
Originally posted by warp2ukew
I know this cant be random coming from you so what up? and I think its alright to modify a script as long as it doesnt work the same
No no, Not just ripping a few lines of code. Maybe changing the string values, a little more script organization, then stamping your name on it. I am not really reffering to scripts, I am more concerned about other things at this moment, but I am trying to stay in the general area.
Old 06-10-2002, 01:57 AM
Banned
Quote:
Originally posted by AlexH
You can't claim ideas.
So if you have something on your server then every other server has it too, there's nothing you can do about it.
But if the other servers have used your same script that's a different story.
I'm not saying its illegal. I am stating that you basically took no time to make your own. Instead, just take whatever is available. I call it Cheap. I have every right to go to someone and say I dislike your playerworld because you ripped from this server even though you are allowed to have it, without him yelling back at me.
Old 06-10-2002, 02:00 AM
Prime Rib of Micronesia
warp2ukew will become famous soon enough
so sum1 rippes some scripts off your game or your gonna do it to some1 elses? anyway you should give credit toi the person who made the original script
Old 06-10-2002, 02:03 AM
Banned
Quote:
Originally posted by warp2ukew
so sum1 rippes some scripts off your game or your gonna do it to some1 elses? anyway you should give credit toi the person who made the original script
Lets say, your friend (partner owner) made the script. He gives it to someone and they use that while its somewhere else. Thats basically a rip-off. It shows that he/she is not capable of generating their own work.
Old 06-10-2002, 02:09 AM
Old Bee
konidias will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to konidias
#1. I wouldn't be stupid enough to allow others access to my scripts.

#2. I think if someone takes something, and modifies it a little bit, then that is stealing, and it can be removed from the server given enough evidence.

Stealing a script, re-organizing it, changing some variables, and stamping your name on it, does not make it yours. If the script does the exact same thing as the other pw's and it is THEIR code, then they can get Stefan or someone to check it and remove it.

Now there is a fine line between stealing something and copying something. If, for example, someone makes little round pets for their server, that look similar to bomies but not quite a bomy, yet the graphics and scripts our their own, then that is okay. If someone blatantly steals a script and changes some lines of code, then it's not right.

Of course there are some owners that don't know the npcs their staff make are actually stolen, so either way, the stuff should get removed.

Put this image in your sig if you support Bomy Island! (g2k1 revision)
play bomberman while you wait!

Old 06-10-2002, 02:18 AM
BARGAD will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally posted by konidias
Like... I think he mean't for a PlayerWorld. It is quite hard to keep others away from your things if you do uppload it to the server and someone else also got the right to download levels from the server (Co-owner?!).

Born To Kill
Death Silent Killers

Two little newbies, out in the sun.
Then came Gori and there was only one.

Old 06-10-2002, 02:35 AM
Banned
Hows this Koni, someone that works for you that has all your graphics, gives me them and says I can do what I wish with them. I am allowed to do that because your guy said I could use it. Even though if you permitted it and still used it for you, thats basically telling everything that I cannot think of my own shiz. NOW, heres the seperate topic. - I take that gfx and maybe add a mustache to the characters and use that for a game I am making. How's that? Are you fine with that?
Old 06-10-2002, 03:05 AM
Old Bee
Quote:
Originally posted by royce
Hows this Koni, someone that works for you that has all your graphics, gives me them and says I can do what I wish with them. I am allowed to do that because your guy said I could use it. Even though if you permitted it and still used it for you, thats basically telling everything that I cannot think of my own shiz. NOW, heres the seperate topic. - I take that gfx and maybe add a mustache to the characters and use that for a game I am making. How's that? Are you fine with that?
No one has access to FTP or NC on my server but me and the global admins, and no one ever will. Simple solution.

But about this, it still is stealing. That's basically the same thing as going through the graal images directory and using things from other pw's, since it isn't like they don't show up there anyway. Now if you have staff that you think are going to give stuff away to other pw's, just make them agree to a contract of some sort before they work for you, and make sure stefan knows that every person working for you has seen the contract, and that he has seen the contract, something along the lines of:

"Everything on <playerworld> and that is made for <playerworld> will only be used for <playerworld> and may not be used for anything else, or given out to people that are not currently staff on <playerworld>."

Old 06-10-2002, 03:08 AM
Quote:

No one has access to FTP or NC on my server but me and the global admins, and no one ever will. Simple solution.
Not saying that you will... but what if the owner decides to give away levels, scripts and graphics to someone which was really made by the LATs, NATs and GATs?!

Born To Kill
Death Silent Killers

Old 06-10-2002, 03:12 AM
Old Bee
Quote:
Originally posted by BARGAD

Not saying that you will... but what if the owner decides to give away levels, scripts and graphics to someone which was really made by the LATs, NATs and GATs?!
To be honest, I think all of the stuff on the server belongs to the owner. (hence the name OWNER) The owner can do what they want with the stuff. Just like Stefan owns all of Graal, so he can take whatever he wants from any server. (although I don't think this is right, it's just the way I feel that it goes)

Old 06-10-2002, 03:22 AM
Quote:

To be honest, I think all of the stuff on the server belongs to the owner. (hence the name OWNER) The owner can do what they want with the stuff. Just like Stefan owns all of Graal, so he can take whatever he wants from any server. (although I don't think this is right, it's just the way I feel that it goes)
Ya most likly

Still... when I work for a server I do the work because I want it to be put up on that server... and not other servers x.x!

Born To Kill
Death Silent Killers

Old 06-10-2002, 03:47 AM
Truckin Up
Milkdude99 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via ICQ to Milkdude99
Quote:

#2. I think if someone takes something, and modifies it a little bit, then that is stealing, and it can be removed from the server given enough evidence.

Stealing a script, re-organizing it, changing some variables, and stamping your name on it, does not make it yours. If the script does the exact same thing as the other pw's and it is THEIR code, then they can get Stefan or someone to check it and remove it.

Now there is a fine line between stealing something and copying something. If, for example, someone makes little round pets for their server, that look similar to bomies but not quite a bomy, yet the graphics and scripts our their own, then that is okay. If someone blatantly steals a script and changes some lines of code, then it's not right.

Of course there are some owners that don't know the npcs their staff make are actually stolen, so either way, the stuff should get removed.
I agree with you on this , but since Graal owns all , claims to anything is a mute point if the Graal Admin rules against you on it with Stefans or Unximads approval. As I am sure you have noticed we are not refered to as "Owners" any longer for the simple fact we have never really owned anything but Graal does and we just manage it thus we are Managers now not Owners.

Moon God
Graal.net

---------- Home---------