Graal Forums  

Go Back   Graal Forums > Development Forums > NPC Scripting
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 07-25-2003, 08:15 PM
Sublime
Tseng is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally posted by Alexander
I maybe stupid but I thought = was assign, not equal.
I believe the scripting engine allows you to use = as a comparison, but it is poor form to do so.

Something I stress a lot: there is a big difference between a script "working" and that script "being scripted correctly."
I didn't ban you, I only played a little bit with my RC.
-----
Old 07-25-2003, 09:44 PM
Chris1Polly is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Chris1Polly
Unhappy >_>

well, I kinda taught myself scripting by jumping in over my heard, long time ago, and "swimming" my way back up. (never was able to walk, just got up off the floor and ran around the room as a baby ) but, I can get alot of things working >_> I know Im not that great, what do you suggest to use rather than "=" to compare, I figure if it does the same thing and its more complicated theres no real need to do it. Oh and so everyone knows, that script was crap ^_^ I deleted it, I started over but I want to do this right, any suggestions/advise would be greatly appreciated. One last thing for this post, sorry Kai, yesterday I couldnt word things right and I came off sounding like an arrogant *****. Thanks for your time. Ill be checking the forum every hour or so...

PS - yes I like the smiles
Old 07-26-2003, 02:35 AM
Telmont Bandit
draygin is on a distinguished road
Re: Artificial Intellegence!

Quote:
Originally posted by Chris1Polly
Well now that Ive finished my systems and debugged them Ive moved onto npcs that will actually do some thinking instead of randomly running around and killing things. Well Ive got a simple guard who has a 10 tile field of vision, all of it works except when he resets after going after someone who has a low alignment rating (its a string on the player created by my system not the regular graal AP) After he gets done chasing someone he should go back to his idle mode, which he does. Problem is once thats done he wont return to attack mode if he needs to attack someone again. Heres the script, tiny bit messy I have yet to refine it. Lets see if any of you can understand why he doesnt reset. Thanks
Heh, man that sounds almost exactly like a rip off of eq because thats exactly how they do it. Faction and guards that have what we call an aggro range that will attack you if you get to close and they dont like you. It doesnt seem like a very original thing to be scripting. I hope you're planning on making it unique and not a straight rip from another game. Because that would be bad.

(edit the initials of the game if its bad Kai I know its frowned on but I wasnt advertising I was pointing out how everything he posted is exactly how it is from something else.)

I stole Spanky's gold!
Old 07-26-2003, 02:49 AM
Chris1Polly is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Chris1Polly
Re: Re: Artificial Intellegence!

Quote:
Originally posted by draygin

Heh, man that sounds almost exactly like a rip off of eq because thats exactly how they do it. Faction and guards that have what we call an aggro range that will attack you if you get to close and they dont like you. It doesnt seem like a very original thing to be scripting. I hope you're planning on making it unique and not a straight rip from another game. Because that would be bad.
Its called realism, and Evercrack wasnt the first to have it. Its a common thing.
Quote:

(edit the initials of the game if its bad Kai I know its frowned on but I wasnt advertising I was pointing out how everything he posted is exactly how it is from something else.)
-_- Again its just realism, but if you want to get really technical about it almost everything has been used before in one thing or another, so no matter what someone did it could be called "ripping".

Last edited by Chris1Polly; 07-26-2003 at 04:24 AM..
Old 07-26-2003, 07:29 AM
Sublime
Tseng is on a distinguished road
Re: >_>

Quote:
well, I kinda taught myself scripting by jumping in over my heard, long time ago, and "swimming" my way back up. (never was able to walk, just got up off the floor and ran around the room as a baby ) but, I can get alot of things working >_> I know Im not that great, what do you suggest to use rather than "=" to compare, I figure if it does the same thing and its more complicated theres no real need to do it.
Use == for comparisons.
Use = for assignments.

Again: there's a big difference between "working" and "scripted properly/to a decent standard."
I didn't ban you, I only played a little bit with my RC.
-----
Old 07-27-2003, 04:25 PM
Androk is on a distinguished road
Heh belive me, you can't script "most anything" either :P Simply because there is endless possobility of ideas that can be assigned. Anyway sorry to go off topic.

Name: Androk
Old 07-27-2003, 06:01 PM
Script Monkey
Kaimetsu will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally posted by Androk
Heh belive me, you can't script "most anything" either :P Simply because there is endless possobility of ideas that can be assigned. Anyway sorry to go off topic.
To whom are you talking?
Old 07-27-2003, 06:34 PM
Alexander is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Alexander
Quote:
Originally posted by Kaimetsu

To whom are you talking?
Quote:
Well Im sorry it doesnt meet up to your standards, I can script most anything even if I do take the longer route, Im still new to npc server scripting, and I never took time to learn new commands... since well. o_O mostly the new commands Ive learned by hearing people talk about them. Ive not studied a command for at least 5 versions of graal. Most likely more Instead of commenting on the way it was scripted perhaps you can help? o_O I know your good enough to.
He's talking to Chris1Polly, I think.
Old 07-28-2003, 02:25 PM
ApeHex is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to ApeHex
;o
it would be nice to be able to script almost anything
Old 07-31-2003, 10:10 PM
Telmont Bandit
draygin is on a distinguished road
Re: Re: Re: Artificial Intellegence!

Quote:

Its called realism, and Evercrack wasnt the first to have it. Its a common thing.

-_- Again its just realism, but if you want to get really technical about it almost everything has been used before in one thing or another, so no matter what someone did it could be called "ripping".
They weren't? Please tell me who did?

There is a big difference between using concepts from other games and copying how another game does something so that it is essentially the same exact thing.

So no depending on what a person does it isnt called "ripping"

I stole Spanky's gold!
Old 08-02-2003, 03:50 PM
Legendary Script0r
Jaguar__5 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Jaguar__5
Heyo Elrond! Look I'm back in forums w000
Finally got a VIP!
Old 08-03-2003, 06:25 PM
:pluffy:
Crono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond repute
Elrond, (I know call him Aeglos alot xD) has been on graal for a long time. And rather than helping Aeglos (has his problem even been solved? I read all of this and people were getting off topic everywhere) everyone is just spamming about "OMG U KANT SCREEPT EVERYTING!111"

Just help him and get over it. No need to spam a thread with pointless..ok i'll just stop there >.>;;
Old 08-03-2003, 07:31 PM
http://wiki.graal.us/
adam has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to adam
Well, I'd say, If the only requirment for getting help from a group of talented guys is formatting your code a little different. Just do it?

For development help, contact the patrons of the #graaldt irc channel below, I am usually there.
Click Here to Join IRC Chat Now! -- irc.freenode.net Channel: #graaldt
Quote:
<Dustyshouri> no, RogueShadow is always talking about scripts lol
<Dustyshouri> in fact, he pretty much brought Graal back as a topic single-handedly
Old 08-03-2003, 08:04 PM
Old Bee
konidias will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to konidias
Re: Re: Re: Re: Artificial Intellegence!

Quote:

They weren't? Please tell me who did?

There is a big difference between using concepts from other games and copying how another game does something so that it is essentially the same exact thing.

So no depending on what a person does it isnt called "ripping"
Uh, how is making an npc that has a field of vision, copying EQ? Do you realise how many games have NPCs with a field of vision? Duh, even Graal's default baddies have a field of vision. I don't see how the following, could be copying anything, when it's just basic ideas:

- NPCs have a field of vision
- When a player gets in the field of vision, the NPC attacks
- If the NPC is done attacking, it waits for another person to come into it's field of vision

Now please explain to me how this is such a crazily new and unique concept, created by the people at EQ.

Put this image in your sig if you support Bomy Island! (g2k1 revision)
play bomberman while you wait!

Old 08-04-2003, 04:45 AM
Script Monkey
Kaimetsu will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally posted by Gerami
Elrond, (I know call him Aeglos alot xD) has been on graal for a long time. And rather than helping Aeglos (has his problem even been solved? I read all of this and people were getting off topic everywhere) everyone is just spamming about "OMG U KANT SCREEPT EVERYTING!111"
It's hardly spamming, I'm just correcting an erroneous claim. Nobody here has an obligation to help anybody, it's purely a personal choice.

Quote:
Just help him
Make me. I don't have any inclination to read through his huge script just because he doesn't want to do his own debugging, especially when it doesn't conform to standards.