FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-24-2014, 08:09 PM
TheLinkMan2002 will become famous soon enough
10mm pistol from fallout

Old 08-24-2014, 08:56 PM
Your friendly PKer ;)
Electroballistic is an unknown quantity at this point
Too much black and dark colors, need some lighter colors to see more details....
Old 08-24-2014, 09:15 PM
Its the forum or imgur that makes it look so dark. its actually alot of grey and browns to look rusty. you have to like lean in to see it but I assure you it isn't that dark.

how's this in comparison? Needa fix the back ironsight for sure though. i forgot i never added any detail to it in the initial shape drawing stage and i just now noticed

A few small improvements, i left the other one up for comparison, thoughts?

Last edited by TheLinkMan2002; 08-24-2014 at 10:50 PM..
Old 08-24-2014, 11:35 PM
Isitme youre looking for?
wilikas is on a distinguished road
I think your gun looks great, keep up the good work

Legal threats should go through the support center.
Old 08-25-2014, 12:48 AM
I'm working on trying to find a way to add more detail while keeping it really rusty looking. i'm not really sure how to go about it honestly. it just feels really bare since it doesn't really have actual "shading" per-say due to the rust.
Old 08-25-2014, 02:12 AM
Your friendly PKer ;)
Electroballistic is an unknown quantity at this point
Looks perfect!
Old 08-25-2014, 02:23 AM
natchez416 will become famous soon enough
Well the line art is okay but your shading still needs work.
The side views are still done in the wrong perspective and look flat as a result.
I would still suggest choosing a light source and shading accordingly.
You need to have much greater contrast between the different hues or shades you use. This is why some people have said it looks too black. You should try increasing the brightness difference between the various hues/shades.
Old 08-25-2014, 03:51 AM
I'm far from done with the 10mm its still a work in progress. I've applied the rusty look to it, now i just need to find a way to shade it while keeping the rust effect. And i still don't know how one would go about conveying a perspective like that from a side view. ive looked at a bunch of different gun models and aside from shading it differently i see no other way to convey that. But either way it's still a work in progress and has yet to truly be shaded. Gonna experiment with a few things. Also i think too much contrast is a bad thing, if it jumps too drastically it looks weird, i always stay within 2 brightness values of the last pixel. most i'll jump is 4
Old 08-25-2014, 11:29 PM
natchez416 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLinkMan2002 View Post
I'm far from done with the 10mm its still a work in progress. I've applied the rusty look to it, now i just need to find a way to shade it while keeping the rust effect. And i still don't know how one would go about conveying a perspective like that from a side view. ive looked at a bunch of different gun models and aside from shading it differently i see no other way to convey that. But either way it's still a work in progress and has yet to truly be shaded. Gonna experiment with a few things. Also i think too much contrast is a bad thing, if it jumps too drastically it looks weird, i always stay within 2 brightness values of the last pixel. most i'll jump is 4
You can do the perspective correctly mostly through shading. This is what I mean by choose a light source and shading accordingly. The top of the weapon should be done in a brighter shade than the side. Perhaps study pictures of pistols in the perspective you are trying to achieve. Here's a decent example:
http://www.ultimate100.net/airsoft-i...guns-32527.jpg

Also your 2-4 brightness value rule is a very bad rule to have. This will make your work look flat. It will be impossible to give it any form. As a general rule I tend to ensure at least 15-20 brightness value difference between shades. My advice is to increase your contrast in this way and to also choose a light source.

Also, I think this is the best pixel art tutorial for beginners available: http://www.pixeljoint.com/forum/foru....asp?TID=11299
I think you might benefit from it.
Old 08-26-2014, 02:12 AM

finished the shading for the left and right models today before i went to work, i think i'm satisfied with it. Just gotta do the up and down now. And i still stand by 15-20 being a little too drastic. This gun still has to look really old and rusty, if i go too bright at any point it will ruin that effect.

Last edited by TheLinkMan2002; 08-26-2014 at 02:31 AM..