Graal Forums  

Go Back   Graal Forums > PlayerWorlds > Era Main Forum
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-06-2013, 06:17 PM
Era since 2005
bloodykiller is infamous around these partsbloodykiller is infamous around these parts
sigh, the servers became so terrible that you americans no longer believe that lag helps you play era but penalises both players equally and just makes the game more defensive

i'm from Italy and my ping is 10-20ms, on era though it's 230-300 as of now..i remember when it used to have 120-180 on era and people kept complaining about my lag and saying stuff like it was the only skill i had
Old 12-06-2013, 06:59 PM
Fiberwyre_P2P will become famous soon enough
Isn't the main source of lag on Era nowadays the DDoS protection?
I guess 200 ms is better than 1800ms, but still...

Same as always. Douchebags ruin the game for everyone.

But yeah, less lag would be the best incentive to spar for me.
Old 12-07-2013, 06:02 PM
Maloria Manager
bioboi has a spectacular aura about
New Era incentives!

Take 5 steps on the Gmap get $5!

Take 20 shots from a weapon get free box of ammo!

Type 50 letters get $400!

Really guys...really...you think this is the way to fix Era...

How about delete the surplus of guns you have go back to 10 guns MAX, and work from there. The economy on Era holds on too tight to the other aspect of the game, something that never used to be there while Era was successful. Make everything accessible in a reasonable amount of time and you will have new players and constant competition.
Old 12-07-2013, 07:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bioboi View Post
New Era incentives!

Take 5 steps on the Gmap get $5!

Take 20 shots from a weapon get free box of ammo!

Type 50 letters get $400!

Really guys...really...you think this is the way to fix Era...

How about delete the surplus of guns you have go back to 10 guns MAX, and work from there. The economy on Era holds on too tight to the other aspect of the game, something that never used to be there while Era was successful. Make everything accessible in a reasonable amount of time and you will have new players and constant competition.
I understand you're being sarcastic, but what was the underlying message of your post? That we give rewards for doing trivial things?

I haven't seen anyone advocating giving incentives for stuff like that. It always has to do with PKing of some sort.
Old 12-07-2013, 08:42 PM
Maloria Manager
bioboi has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiberwyre_P2P View Post
I understand you're being sarcastic, but what was the underlying message of your post? That we give rewards for doing trivial things?

I haven't seen anyone advocating giving incentives for stuff like that. It always has to do with PKing of some sort.
Point being that the playerbase has became so accustomed to some type of economical reward for every single thing you do in the game. Era's "fun" on the server is determined by how well you play it's economy..no one can just pick it up and play it and be decent you have to invest hours and hours to be on par with the lowest tier of players. I just feel this has been a poor direction for Era to move in and this addition only further reinforces going that way.
Old 12-07-2013, 08:59 PM
xChugxLifex
Frankie is a jewel in the roughFrankie is a jewel in the rough
Send a message via AIM to Frankie Send a message via MSN to Frankie
Quote:
Originally Posted by bioboi View Post
this x1000

back when daz was the manager I tried suggesting that we take ourselves away from being so heavily involved with the economy and try to make more of an arcade style of game play. you could still build your inventory and collect items but the core of era's game play is pking and should be treated as such.

the server needs some serious change. people are losing interest. seems like the only players are ones that play out of nostalgia or because they are rich and feel like they don't want to abandon the game. new players straggle in every so often and they are most likely people who found out about graal from the iphone servers and decided to give the pc version a try.

era has potential to be fun again. the concept of graal/era is awesome. you have a little character you can customize and you can run around and kill people. but the game play sucks and isn't on par with other games in the market. from a new player's perspective, why spend so much time trying to make money to buy a gun that won't even put you near an even playing field with other players? nobody is going to buy into this that way. unless you have been playing this game for years you won't have any chance in this game.
Old 12-07-2013, 09:58 PM
I don't really see how giving players an incentive to spar is counterproductive to what you're suggesting. Giving people rewards for actually playing the game gives them less of a reason to mine for 1000 hours when they can just PK for money.

It's essentially how most games do progression these days. CoD gives you experience for killing people, which unlocks things. LoL gives you IP for playing games, which lets you unlock champions, Etc. That's essentially what you have to do to get away from people needing to work for 1000 hours to buy a decent gun to be competitive. What other way is there short of just giving people free stuff for doing nothing?

The similarity between the examples I gave is that they're easy to pick up because the difference between what the top-end players have and what the bottom-end players have isn't huge or game changing.
In CoD, the gun you start with is competitive with the gun you unlock at max level. In LoL, the champions that cost 450 or 1350 IP are balanced with the champions that cost 6300 IP.
It has nothing to do with incentives.

I agree that Era could and should be easier to pick up, but I think you're in the wrong thread.

Last edited by Fiberwyre_P2P; 12-07-2013 at 10:09 PM..
Old 12-21-2013, 11:38 PM
Venom_Fish is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Venom_Fish
Hey everyone who is arguing for incentives to spar, here's a good one:
P1: You suck at sparring and pking.
P2: To suck at sparring and pking is a bad thing on era.
P3: You don't want to harbor anything that is a bad thing on era.
P4: To avoid sucking at sparring and pking on era, you must spar and pk more.
P5: Avoiding sucking at sparring will ensure that you don't harbor one thing, sucking at sparring and pking, that is a bad thing on era.
Conclusion and incentive: Spar so that you can no longer suck at sparring, then apply that non-suckiness you gained from sparring to PKing.
"I returned, and saw under the sun, that the race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, neither yet bread to the wise, nor yet riches to men of understanding, nor yet favour to men of skill; but time and chance happeneth to them all." - Ecclesiastes 9:11
Old 12-22-2013, 12:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Venom_Fish View Post
Hey everyone who is arguing for incentives to spar, here's a good one:
P1: You suck at sparring and pking.
P2: To suck at sparring and pking is a bad thing on era.
P3: You don't want to harbor anything that is a bad thing on era.
P4: To avoid sucking at sparring and pking on era, you must spar and pk more.
P5: Avoiding sucking at sparring will ensure that you don't harbor one thing, sucking at sparring and pking, that is a bad thing on era.
Conclusion and incentive: Spar so that you can no longer suck at sparring, then apply that non-suckiness you gained from sparring to PKing.
Yeah, but the problem with that is that's harder than idling at unstick.

And as we all know, the only people lazier than staff are players.

(obviously /sarcasm)
Old 01-02-2014, 10:39 PM
Zongui is on a distinguished road
bumping old topic, but I noticed that sparring activity hasn't really increased since the change (it has increased though). but one thing that has been a factor throughout the whole thing is venom_fish though. I noticed that a lot of people start sparring when he is in the complex.
Old 01-02-2014, 10:51 PM
Eclipse is a jewel in the roughEclipse is a jewel in the rough
Send a message via AIM to Eclipse
game recognizes game BRO
Old 01-02-2014, 11:14 PM
ilovegirlzz can only hope to improve
who needs to spar when its not about who is the best pker its about who has the most money.

booyah
Old 01-03-2014, 02:44 AM
a true gentlemen
Tim_Rocks is a splendid one to beholdTim_Rocks is a splendid one to beholdTim_Rocks is a splendid one to beholdTim_Rocks is a splendid one to behold
Sometimes I like to just spend an entire afternoon rolling around in all my money.
Old 01-03-2014, 05:30 AM
Banned
Godzilla has a spectacular aura about
People like to spar William because they want to prove something, they want to prove they are an up-coming player who will one day be among the best.

In all honesty the only thing that will boost PK activity over all, gang raiding, sparing etc is making everyone on the same level/par. (Frankies Load-out system)
Old 01-03-2014, 05:49 PM
ilovegirlzz can only hope to improve
Quote:
Originally Posted by Godzilla View Post
People like to spar William because they want to prove something, they want to prove they are an up-coming player who will one day be among the best.

In all honesty the only thing that will boost PK activity over all, gang raiding, sparing etc is making everyone on the same level/par. (Frankies Load-out system)
frankies' system is the trouphe