Graal Forums  

Go Back   Graal Forums > PlayerWorlds > Era Main Forum
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-05-2013, 03:43 AM
Fiberwyre_P2P will become famous soon enough
Thoughts About The New Event Items

1. I don't know if it'll actually help with event activity.
Once the guns are in circulation, people won't really care about farming coins to buy them, they'll just buy them with cash.

2. For me at least, their price alone makes me not care about them.
My reason being: If I were to play and win 750 events in a row, that would be 62.5 hours (assuming 5 mins per event on average). If I were to spend that amount of time making money, that would be 375k, assuming I can make 6k an hour from mining or trashpicking. If you only win 1 in every 10 events you play, that would be enough time to make 3.75 mil. So the time investment isn't really worth it.

3. Event items have traditionally been novelty items, or at the very least, non-standard weapons like the flak, bow, light saber, etc.
I think there are a few reasons why that's a good idea:
*Event guns don't use cash as an initial currency, thus the street prices can fluctuate wildly.
*Guns sold in normal shops have a maximum and minimum street price.
*Guns sold in normal shops can be sold back to the pawn shop.
Old 08-05-2013, 04:28 AM
Posting The Truth
Supaman771 is a glorious beacon of lightSupaman771 is a glorious beacon of lightSupaman771 is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiberwyre_P2P View Post
Once the guns are in circulation, people won't really care about farming coins to buy them, they'll just buy them with cash.

My reason being: If I were to play and win 750 events in a row, that would be 62.5 hours (assuming 5 mins per event on average). If I were to spend that amount of time making money, that would be 375k, assuming I can make 6k an hour from mining or trashpicking. If you only win 1 in every 10 events you play, that would be enough time to make 3.75 mil. So the time investment isn't really worth it.

3. Event items have traditionally been novelty items, or at the very least, non-standard weapons like the flak, bow, light saber, etc.
*Event guns don't use cash as an initial currency, thus the street prices can fluctuate wildly.

From my knowledge, hopefully to enlighten:

They (those who created these items for said purpose) claim to be rotating and/or restocking? the 3 items when a case occurs that they are all (9 total) purchased. Which should keep the interest fresh like the prizes.

I think your calculator is broken, if you say 5 minutes per event is 375k.. how would 10 minutes per event (double the timeframe) result in 3.75m (10x the profit).
Other than this, events are a secondary means of entertainment, not only would they not be hosted that frequently (1 per 5 mins, for 63 hours straight) but these are not meant to be a main source of obtaining weaponry either.

Those novelty items have always had a unique niche in game play, and even at points could've been considered overpowered as far as weaponry goes (flak was recently nerfed). Perhaps all those economical issues you pointed out could be solved by making these 'prize' weapons not trade-able? Similar to the MVP weapons (I never liked the bonding of micro-economies either).
Old 08-05-2013, 04:49 PM
ilovegirlzz can only hope to improve
i think its about that time to make ecs tradeable
Old 08-05-2013, 07:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supaman771 View Post
From my knowledge, hopefully to enlighten:

They (those who created these items for said purpose) claim to be rotating and/or restocking? the 3 items when a case occurs that they are all (9 total) purchased. Which should keep the interest fresh like the prizes.

I think your calculator is broken, if you say 5 minutes per event is 375k.. how would 10 minutes per event (double the timeframe) result in 3.75m (10x the profit).
Other than this, events are a secondary means of entertainment, not only would they not be hosted that frequently (1 per 5 mins, for 63 hours straight) but these are not meant to be a main source of obtaining weaponry either.

Those novelty items have always had a unique niche in game play, and even at points could've been considered overpowered as far as weaponry goes (flak was recently nerfed). Perhaps all those economical issues you pointed out could be solved by making these 'prize' weapons not trade-able? Similar to the MVP weapons (I never liked the bonding of micro-economies either).
I don't think my calculator is broken. I think your reading comprehension is broken.

Quote:
If you read carefully, you'll see that it doesn't say anything about 10 minutes per event, but it actually says if you win 1 in 10 events.

This is the calculation for winning 750 events in a row:

750 events * 5 minutes = 62.5 hours

62.5 hours * 6k = 375k

This is the calculation for winning 1 in 10 events:

(750 * 10) events * 5 minutes = 625 hours

625 hours * 6k = 3.75 mil

(you multiply the number of events by 10 because you only win 1/10th of the events, thus taking 10 times as many events to win 750 coins.)
Derp.

Also, I never made the argument that there would be enough events hosted for someone to win all 750 coins in a 62.5 hour period. Just that it would take a total of 62.5 hours to play all of the events in which they won a coin. The argument you made could also be made for mining or any job. No one works for 62.5 hours straight. Obviously. Derp.

Last edited by Fiberwyre_P2P; 08-05-2013 at 09:56 PM..
Old 08-05-2013, 07:49 PM
Cool Guy 5000
MonkeyBob has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Quote:
Nice reading comprehension, have you ever considered teaching?
Old 08-05-2013, 09:09 PM
Posting The Truth
Supaman771 is a glorious beacon of lightSupaman771 is a glorious beacon of lightSupaman771 is a glorious beacon of light
Glad one misread word and a single sentence typed at 4:28am on a phone is all you can adequately respond to from a myriad of points I addressed.

Thank you for copying and pasting what Fiber posted an hour prior, Zach. Have you ever considered managing/leading a team?
Old 08-05-2013, 09:27 PM
Quote:
Glad one misread word and a single sentence typed at 4:28am on a phone is all you can adequately respond to from a myriad of points I addressed.

Thank you for copying and pasting what Fiber posted an hour prior, Zach. Have you ever considered managing/leading a team?
I mainly didn't respond to your points because I didn't think they needed to be responded to XD

Rotating / restocking doesn't guarantee interest in the items. Golden shop is a good example of that. It's really just inconvenient for when you finally get enough coins to buy what you want 7500 events later and you can't.

Clearly your second point was just flat out wrong.

Your third point that the novelty items are niche, is true. I don't see that as a bad thing. That's what their purpose has always been.
Guns are niche too. They're only used for killing people and breaking down doors.

Your fourth point is all conjecture. "perhaps", "could", things that haven't come to pass without any sign of them doing so.
And besides that, making playing events the only way to get some of the best guns in the game (i.e. making them untradeable) would go against your argument about events being a secondary means of entertainment and not being a main source of obtaining weaponry.
(Ares Rifle is one of the best, without question.)

So there are the responses to all 4 of your "myriad" of points.

As a side note, I think you grossly hyperbolized how many points you actually made.
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/myriad

Last edited by Fiberwyre_P2P; 08-05-2013 at 09:51 PM..
Old 08-06-2013, 02:53 AM
Cool Guy 5000
MonkeyBob has a spectacular aura about
Quote:

Yes, I have, and I did. Which is why a quarter (or so) of the server were trying to bring me back yesterday.
Old 08-06-2013, 03:40 AM
ilovegirlzz can only hope to improve
you guys always stray off topic..if its gonna be 750 ecs for these items its about time we make ecs tradeable ijs #BUMP
Old 08-06-2013, 06:24 AM
Posting The Truth
Quote:
As a side note, I think you grossly hyperbolized how many points you actually made.
I didn't make any per-say, or at least that's not what I referenced. The points I addressed were the ones you made in the OP...

Then you only responded to was, what I [admittingly] misread about your calculation. This, which doesn't really have anything to do with the topic. You're just feeding scraps to Zach over there so he can act cool.

@the EC weapons, what you're saying is they should be:
  • Modified? (Stat wise)
  • Price Reduced?
  • Untradable?
  • Removed?
  • Etc?

^This is my point/question, all you pointed out were the 'issues' (or even just.. hypothetical opinions), but I don't see any suggestions or solutions is all. My original point was just to remedy your 'issues' with what I thought were the solutions. Eh?

Last edited by Supaman771; 08-06-2013 at 06:53 AM..
Old 08-06-2013, 05:41 PM
Quote:

@the EC weapons, what you're saying is they should be:
  • Modified? (Stat wise)
  • Price Reduced?
  • Untradable?
  • Removed?
  • Etc?
No, I'm not saying any of those things. Well, maybe Etc.

First of all, you should stop making assumptions about things you are clearly misinterpreting.
The thread title is "Thoughts About The New Event Items". I don't see anywhere in there the words "suggestions" or "solutions". They're just what I think about them. I even worded the title carefully so people wouldn't misinterpret it, but it obviously didn't work. This thread was meant mostly for Wil.

I might as well be GBA if I was going to offer solutions.

Although, the main point in my first post, which I was hoping anyone who read it could see without me having to explicitly say it, is that I think the EC guns should be moved out of the EC shop to a normal shop and sold for cash, since that's the solution to all of the problems I outlined.

But if you're really hell bent on selling guns in the EC shop (which I think is a bad/useless idea), you might as well keep it the way it is.

Last edited by Fiberwyre_P2P; 08-06-2013 at 05:55 PM..
Old 08-07-2013, 08:28 AM
Venom_Fish is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Venom_Fish
@Fiber's Suggestion: No, there are normal guns for that. The EC shop items are simply meant to provide another medium for players to obtain quality weapons.

There will be, and there are, quality weapons already in shop and people, or most people, don't bother with them. The true way to obtain weapons via cash is through trading and from the players who put blood and sweat into obtaining these items, the players who put blood and sweat in getting cash can seek to trade.

Era is meant to be a community, so anything that promotes interaction between players, I tend be favorable of. These guns put more people in events, more significance to events, and, finally, facilitate interaction through trading. They're not the be all end all as far as being "purposeful," but every little bit counts. Y'know?
"I returned, and saw under the sun, that the race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, neither yet bread to the wise, nor yet riches to men of understanding, nor yet favour to men of skill; but time and chance happeneth to them all." - Ecclesiastes 9:11
Old 08-07-2013, 07:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Venom_Fish View Post
@Fiber's Suggestion: No, there are normal guns for that. The EC shop items are simply meant to provide another medium for players to obtain quality weapons.

There will be, and there are, quality weapons already in shop and people, or most people, don't bother with them. The true way to obtain weapons via cash is through trading and from the players who put blood and sweat into obtaining these items, the players who put blood and sweat in getting cash can seek to trade.

Era is meant to be a community, so anything that promotes interaction between players, I tend be favorable of. These guns put more people in events, more significance to events, and, finally, facilitate interaction through trading. They're not the be all end all as far as being "purposeful," but every little bit counts. Y'know?
Yeah, I get what you're trying to do, and I think it's a worthwhile goal.

My thoughts about it obviously only apply to me and maybe a few other people who view it the same as I do.

Basically, I play events for fun, not for items, and then I'll check my ECs every few months and see what I can buy.

But I'm sure there are people who play events solely to get ECs to buy items with XD

I just don't get that lol

I think an alternative way to increase event activity would be to add new events, maybe modify existing ones to be more fun.

But one idea that I pitched to Chris Vimes a long time ago was the ability to have multiple events going at once. Like you could host PK and non-PK events at the same time to cater to everyone.
(It would also simplify the lives of ETs, since they wouldn't have to worry about hosting over someone else)
Old 08-10-2013, 12:42 PM
Venom_Fish is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Venom_Fish
Indeed, although my efforts cater to the crowd of event players you pointed to, I think your recommendation caters to the crowd of event players you belong to. Sadly, such a feat is not within my power and so I do what I can.

Either case, I just think that there's more than one way to increase event activity, this was one of them, and adding more events is another. As far as which is "better," well, that's all dependent upon what measurements you're using and such a judgement seems insignificant unless we had to choose between them. In this case, we don't, so yay .
"I returned, and saw under the sun, that the race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, neither yet bread to the wise, nor yet riches to men of understanding, nor yet favour to men of skill; but time and chance happeneth to them all." - Ecclesiastes 9:11
Old 08-13-2013, 04:41 AM
Era since 2005
bloodykiller is infamous around these partsbloodykiller is infamous around these parts
Quote:

i like the fact that there are good but not OP guns in the event shop for a very high price.
you're not considering that playing (pk) events is fun, as opposed to working
plus u get double the ecs you used to get in events before and there are way more events than there used to be