Graal Forums  

Go Back   Graal Forums > PlayerWorlds > Era Main Forum
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-23-2013, 04:17 AM
Extrinsical Anomaly
Fulg0reSama has a brilliant futureFulg0reSama has a brilliant futureFulg0reSama has a brilliant futureFulg0reSama has a brilliant futureFulg0reSama has a brilliant futureFulg0reSama has a brilliant futureFulg0reSama has a brilliant futureFulg0reSama has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbk1994 View Post
It has nothing to do with downloading. Games like Graal use almost no bandwidth except during the rare instances where you're downloading game assets. It's easily possible to experience lower latency with a "slower" connection. More likely by upgrading his plan, the ISP moved him onto a different infrastructure which either had better peerings (unlikely to be a major contributor and unlikely in general) or a better "last mile" run (more likely).
Informative, thank you. Previous theory of mine redacted.
It's unfortunate that it doesn't exactly help towards the general issue other than to understand possible reasons for the problem
Mind explaining more on how peer-to-peer's role contribute towards the problem for the information's sake?
I mean I might as well learn more about this so I can know for the future.

Careful, thoughts and opinions here scare people.
Old 06-23-2013, 04:35 AM
the fake one
cbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to cbk1994
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fulg0reSama View Post
Informative, thank you. Previous theory of mine redacted.
It's unfortunate that it doesn't exactly help towards the general issue other than to understand possible reasons for the problem
Mind explaining more on how peer-to-peer's role contribute towards the problem for the information's sake?
I mean I might as well learn more about this so I can know for the future.
Not peerings between players. Peerings between ISPs. If you switch ISPs (or sometimes change plans), you'll often significantly change the path your packets take to get from one host to another on the internet. The geographical distance between two hosts doesn't really matter—what matters is the route the packet takes to get to the server. You can see that easily with traceroute. In general, the fewer hops, the better.

As far as I know, Graal has no peer-to-peer functionality now that UDP has been removed.

If what Jer says about the DDoS protection is true, then there's pretty much nothing any player can do to reduce their latency to reasonable levels.
Old 06-23-2013, 05:40 AM
Extrinsical Anomaly
Fulg0reSama has a brilliant futureFulg0reSama has a brilliant futureFulg0reSama has a brilliant futureFulg0reSama has a brilliant futureFulg0reSama has a brilliant futureFulg0reSama has a brilliant futureFulg0reSama has a brilliant futureFulg0reSama has a brilliant future
Quote:
Not peerings between players. Peerings between ISPs. If you switch ISPs (or sometimes change plans), you'll often significantly change the path your packets take to get from one host to another on the internet. The geographical distance between two hosts doesn't really matter—what matters is the route the packet takes to get to the server. You can see that easily with traceroute. In general, the fewer hops, the better.

As far as I know, Graal has no peer-to-peer functionality now that UDP has been removed.

If what Jer says about the DDoS protection is true, then there's pretty much nothing any player can do to reduce their latency to reasonable levels.
Okay, makes sense to me, but that at least answers the general question of if anything can be done by the player.
But it does beg the question; Why was UDP removed? It seems like there is not benefit to doing this for the player base.

Careful, thoughts and opinions here scare people.
Old 06-24-2013, 12:51 PM
// Programmer
Breezed has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kohola_KinG View Post
Which in most cases it doesn't though. I am running graal on an alienware laptop on a 100mb connection and somehow still struggles without taking those steps.

Anyhoo, i wasn't mainly focused on the lag, it only helped one guy out. So i'm not exactly sure on that end, but i know the other steps makes you A LOT smoother.
here's your problem: laptop

they are specifically prone to dust buildup and overheating (especially since you have an alienware using what is probably an i7 and a nvidia GTX)-- you might want to open it up and clean it out. Laptops aren't built to last, they're built as disposable machines so the customer buys another one after 2-3 years.

if you really like PC gaming, I really reccomend building a rig with your own parts-- you could probably replicate a computer with the same CPU/GPU as your laptop for half the price, and it'll last for ages with proper ventilation.

anyways, what really bugs me about graal is the fact that it is capped at about 21 fps on the PC (no matter how good your pc is), yet the iphone/android version runs at 30fps solid.
Old 06-24-2013, 03:26 PM
Fiberwyre_P2P will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Breezed View Post

they are specifically prone to dust buildup and overheating (especially since you have an alienware using what is probably an i7 and a nvidia GTX)-- you might want to open it up and clean it out. Laptops aren't built to last, they're built as disposable machines so the customer buys another one after 2-3 years.

if you really like PC gaming, I really reccomend building a rig with your own parts-- you could probably replicate a computer with the same CPU/GPU as your laptop for half the price, and it'll last for ages with proper ventilation.

anyways, what really bugs me about graal is the fact that it is capped at about 21 fps on the PC (no matter how good your pc is), yet the iphone/android version runs at 30fps solid.
I just built my own a few days ago (As a side note, I'm never installing Graal on it :P)
**** laptops forever. Never buying one again.
And yeah, I kinda wish Graal had no FPS limit, or at least 30/60 FPS.
Although, It doesn't really matter that much. With the amount of frames that goes into most ganis, it wouldn't make the game look any smoother.

But you know... nothing this game offers compares to playing all of the other games I could be playing on Ultra settings at 60 FPS+ :P
Old 06-24-2013, 04:19 PM
Era since 2005
bloodykiller is infamous around these partsbloodykiller is infamous around these parts
the problem is the server. it was **** before and now it's utterly ****. Stefan is basically making Era a non-European game and idk how that will work out for his wallet
Old 06-25-2013, 09:16 PM
Erik
Lime_O_Matic is on a distinguished road
Quote:
This is bunch of crap. Unless your computer is ridiculously underpowered, the decrease in network latency you think you're witnessing by closing a few explorer windows is just an example of the placebo effect.
Chris, are saying this only for IE windows or programs in general? When I ran Graal on my old computer it would lag with programs like iTunes open. I've seen success with this method, so some of the steps have to help!
Old 06-25-2013, 10:01 PM
Kohola_KinG is on a distinguished road
Quote:

My problem isn't my laptop. My laptop is only 2 months old. I have a top end PC aswell custom built. You aren't getting what im saying though.

I can play graal without those steps. However, with those steps in place, i have no fps lag whatsoever. I am smooth, permanently.

I haven't came across anyone, who runs smooth permanently without those steps. If you do, prove it. Let's run across the gmap beside eachother and see if you can keep up.
Old 06-25-2013, 10:05 PM
team canada
fowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
what really bugs me about graal is the fact that it is capped at about 21 fps on the PC (no matter how good your pc is), yet the iphone/android version runs at 30fps solid.
nope, Graal is capped at 20 fps on all clients.
Old 06-25-2013, 10:08 PM
asdfg
BlueMelon is a splendid one to beholdBlueMelon is a splendid one to beholdBlueMelon is a splendid one to beholdBlueMelon is a splendid one to behold
Its most likely the OpenGL to DirectX toggle @koho
Old 06-25-2013, 10:10 PM
Kohola_KinG is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueMelon View Post
Its most likely the OpenGL to DirectX toggle @koho
Honestly, probably a big part of it. Though you won't see much improvement if you don't go in full screen when you uncheck it. Which most people fail to do.
Old 06-26-2013, 12:52 AM
the fake one
cbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to cbk1994
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lime_O_Matic View Post
Chris, are saying this only for IE windows or programs in general? When I ran Graal on my old computer it would lag with programs like iTunes open. I've seen success with this method, so some of the steps have to help!
Latency, not client performance (FPS).
Old 06-26-2013, 12:46 PM
Era since 2005
bloodykiller is infamous around these partsbloodykiller is infamous around these parts
i have a 4 year old 400euro computer and i've only had fps problems when i had a pretty anoying virus. if you're using windows 97 don't complain about fps
Old 06-26-2013, 02:22 PM
a true gentlemen
Tim_Rocks is a splendid one to beholdTim_Rocks is a splendid one to beholdTim_Rocks is a splendid one to beholdTim_Rocks is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by bloodykiller View Post
i have a 4 year old 400euro computer and i've only had fps problems when i had a pretty anoying virus. if you're using windows 97 don't complain about fps
I wonder what you were doing that caused that virus to apear on your computer.
Old 06-26-2013, 03:03 PM
Stay Frosty
WillaWonka will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiberwyre_P2P View Post
I just built my own a few days ago (As a side note, I'm never installing Graal on it :P)
**** laptops forever. Never buying one again.
And yeah, I kinda wish Graal had no FPS limit, or at least 30/60 FPS.
Although, It doesn't really matter that much. With the amount of frames that goes into most ganis, it wouldn't make the game look any smoother.

But you know... nothing this game offers compares to playing all of the other games I could be playing on Ultra settings at 60 FPS+ :P
If they happened to remove the fps limiter on this game, they would then have to redo AGAIN all the gun stats to match the average fps. On a downside, it would mean some people with crappy computers will get low fps, so their gameplay will be much slower and sluggish then others, while on the upside, there could be a much large variety of stats to choose from, instead of going by .05, .1, .15, .2, etc..

Now to talk about myself and my computer, I'll be putting in a i5 w/ new mobo today, so my computer will be i5 3570k CPU + Radeon HD7970 3GB DDR5 + 8GB Ram, abouta get some hardcore fps on some hardcore games...