Graal Forums  

Go Back   Graal Forums > Development Forums > Level Design
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 05-21-2011, 03:54 PM
Drakeero will become famous soon enough
Post Ref: Making the Graal Editor handle GK Tilesets

Without putting weird scripts in your levels.

It took me awhile and yes it IS complicated. I can't guarantee that this will work for everyone but I hope this will make a good start.

The Graal Editor relies on a lot of data scattered throughout the entire Graal directory on your computer.

The most important peice of cryptic, mysterious advice that kept coming up was:

1: Open up a file called tiledefsGraal%032Kingdoms.txt located in the Graal/Levels/Tiledefs folder.
2: Copy the information.
3: Open up the file tiledefsOffline.txt in the same folder and paste the information. If you don't have it like I did when I started, just make it. The first file I assume comes from regular game play.

That is stage one. The second stage looks really easy, but its never worked properly for me.

1: Delete a file called FILENAMECACHE.txt in the Graal folder. That's the folder with the graal.exe in it.

Running the game or the editor always recreates the file. However if you're lucky it'll work for you. [I ended up copy/pasting the FILENAMECACHE.txt from a previous install of the game where the editor did work.] I can provide it to anyone who asks but I'm pretty sure it'll blow up your computer or something. Try to make the official step work.

Ok, now for the final part if you want it to work for outdoor levels or anywhere else requiring multiple .nw files linked together.

1: Do a quick check through Graal/maps to make sure its healthy and full of .gmaps, including the one for the island/area you want to work on. Everything SHOULD be there automatically from normal gameplay assuming you've actually BEEN there at least once.

2: You're going to need to create a new file in your Graal directory called loadgmaps.txt. The contents are simple enough that you can copy/paste:

dustari.gmap
forest.gmap
pirates.gmap
samurai.gmap
zormite.gmap

main.gmap
start.gmap

mines.gmap
mines1.gmap
mines2.gmap
mines3.gmap
mines4.gmap

Just drop it in and if the forums doesn't screw up the formatting it should work. If the forums do screw it up I can try to send you the file and this time it probably won't blow up your computer.... probably.

If you need additional .gmaps you're on your own. I haven't gotten that far.

Congratulations, at this point your graal editor should be properly recognizing GK tilesets for use with both outdoor and indoor levels without scripts. Your multi-.nw file areas should come linked and with the proper terrain heights if applicable.

If it doesn't work, please let me know so I can try to help and update this reference sheet for the future.
Old 05-25-2011, 11:52 AM
Master Tux
WanDaMan is a jewel in the roughWanDaMan is a jewel in the rough
Send a message via MSN to WanDaMan
Wouldn't it be easier to just use " loadmap gmapname; "?
Old 05-26-2011, 01:06 PM
:pluffy:
Crono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond repute
yeah but apparently thats an outdated command, according to stefan
Old 05-26-2011, 01:08 PM
ǝɔɐɹq ʎןɹnɔ
Crow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crono View Post
yeah but apparently thats an outdated command, according to stefan
Where did he say that? It's quite useful actually, even on a playerworld.
Old 05-26-2011, 01:25 PM
Crono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crow View Post
Where did he say that? It's quite useful actually, even on a playerworld.
eh he posted it a while ago and said it again on RC sometime. he said he even wants to remove it or something because we're not supposed to use loadmap.
Old 05-26-2011, 02:04 PM
ǝɔɐɹq ʎןɹnɔ
Crow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crono View Post
eh he posted it a while ago and said it again on RC sometime. he said he even wants to remove it or something because we're not supposed to use loadmap.
That'd be stupid considering I'm using it to prevent a bug where you're teleported to a random location when entering a gmap for the very first time. Preloading the map using loadMap() fixes this.
Old 05-26-2011, 02:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crow View Post
That'd be stupid considering I'm using it to prevent a bug where you're teleported to a random location when entering a gmap for the very first time. Preloading the map using loadMap() fixes this.
http://forums.graalonline.com/forums...19&postcount=2

http://forums.graalonline.com/forums...8&postcount=13

guess it's an offline thing or something, i dunno @_@
Old 06-03-2011, 12:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by WanDaMan View Post
Wouldn't it be easier to just use " loadmap gmapname; "?
I believe that loadmap gmapname; is what I used almost a decade ago to create the very first loadgmaps.txt

After that point I've never had to use that command since. Just make sure the file ends up where its supposed to be and the editor uses it.

I have this theory its better how to find out how configure something to work by default rather then trying to patch everything else to conform to a misconfiguration.
Old 06-03-2011, 12:56 AM
Delterian Hybrid
Emera is a jewel in the roughEmera is a jewel in the rough
If he where to update the editor, he should update a few other things aswell. Making it GS2 compatible and so on. Maybe you could all work on an updated version of gonstruct since the webpage owner says he welcomes anybody willing to update it themselves. I don't know, just a thought.
Old 06-03-2011, 01:11 AM
Banned
WhiteDragon is a splendid one to beholdWhiteDragon is a splendid one to beholdWhiteDragon is a splendid one to beholdWhiteDragon is a splendid one to beholdWhiteDragon is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emera View Post
Making it GS2 compatible and so on.
I'd be all for this, but I think Stefan has issues with providing a GS2 compiler on the client in fear that people might try to take it and use it in a non-Graal project.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emera View Post
Maybe you could all work on an updated version of gonstruct since the webpage owner says he welcomes anybody willing to update it themselves. I don't know, just a thought.
It's a large codebase and a total of like 4 people here know C++ well enough to work on it, and I don't think any of them are interested.
Old 06-03-2011, 01:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteDragon View Post
I'd be all for this, but I think Stefan has issues with providing a GS2 compiler on the client in fear that people might try to take it and use it in a non-Graal project.
If I had enough skill to work with GS2, chances are I'd just go learn a real programming language and make something from scratch that works better.

I've been toying with Python. Feels good, man.
Old 06-03-2011, 01:29 AM
Delterian Hybrid
Emera is a jewel in the roughEmera is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
It's a large codebase and a total of like 4 people here know C++ well enough to work on it, and I don't think any of them are interested.
Now that's where the problems lie isn't it. There are so few people capable of pulling it off and the ones who do don't see any reason for putting that much effort into something that isn't that needed.