Graal Forums  

Go Back   Graal Forums > Development Forums > Future Improvements
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 04-12-2011, 10:11 PM
the fake one
cbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to cbk1994
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrOmega View Post
Simple, they make Crest Orange Whitening Refresh, which an ingredient is orange juice concentrate and fluoride. It didn't taste bad either.
My point was not the analogy, but good job defeating that .

Quote:
If you hinder yourself by saying 'can't' your are closing off a whole world of possibilities. A new login would be nice. It should do what a login screen should do and be able to download the client/dev tools/maybe even betas? Allow for chat rooms for friends to talk, but not necessarily have a player, but a start screen and a 'extended' playerlist, with IRC chat.
I didn't say it couldn't be done, I said I can't imagine it being done well. If someone can come up with a good idea for a playable login server level, I'd be happy to have it implemented, because the login server is quite bad right now—but I'm yet to see that good idea.
Old 04-12-2011, 10:21 PM
David K?
Devil_Lord2 can only hope to improve
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbk1994 View Post
Playable login server sounds really lame. I can't imagine it being done well.
I can think of a room with seats and tables, then the top server links which I don't know how you would do it, but could be done with an npc doing a server warp if touched.. No one said it had to look amazing.. just neat :]

But it would be nice to have a check box or something to just save the server you like to go on and 3 seconds of being in the room, it will automatically warp you to the server.. In case someone doesn't feel like walking to a door..

Digital Media Artist - David K? </3 (UnLoved)
www.davidkrout.com
www.twitch.com/DavidKkz

Old 04-12-2011, 10:36 PM
Will work for food. Maybe
DustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to DustyPorViva Send a message via MSN to DustyPorViva
Quote:
My point was not the analogy, but good job defeating that .

I didn't say it couldn't be done, I said I can't imagine it being done well. If someone can come up with a good idea for a playable login server level, I'd be happy to have it implemented, because the login server is quite bad right now—but I'm yet to see that good idea.
What is wrong with my idea?
Old 04-12-2011, 11:10 PM
the fake one
cbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by DustyPorViva View Post
What is wrong with my idea?
Your idea is decent, but I would think it might be confusing to new players if there is a button to "join the lobby" or so.

I really don't see a reason we need a login lobby. What does it do that we can't do now on servers like UN?

I think if you fixed up your mockup a bit and maybe rotated it between 5-10 different screenshots as the background (different each time you start Graal) it would be quite nice.
Old 04-12-2011, 11:21 PM
Will work for food. Maybe
DustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to DustyPorViva Send a message via MSN to DustyPorViva
Quote:
Your idea is decent, but I would think it might be confusing to new players if there is a button to "join the lobby" or so.

I really don't see a reason we need a login lobby. What does it do that we can't do now on servers like UN?

I think if you fixed up your mockup a bit and maybe rotated it between 5-10 different screenshots as the background (different each time you start Graal) it would be quite nice.
Honestly I am not a fan of a lobby, but a lot of people apparently are and that was my only intention. The fact that my bg was simply a screenshot of a level made it make sense that it could be supplemented with an actual level/lobby. I don't see much harm in having a such a thing, but I'm also not much for it so I don't really see it as my place to argue for or against it as I'm mostly neutral on it.

Also, if UN can be replaced by a giant empty overworld with absolutely no content, I think they deserve it.
Old 04-13-2011, 01:02 AM
David K?
Quote:

I was thinking on login with pass and user, it would just start you in the lobby at 30 30 or something, and you just walk to a server room, or talk to people lol

Kind of just eliminating the server selection :x

www.davidkrout.com
www.twitch.com/DavidKkz

Old 04-13-2011, 02:08 AM
Workin' on It
PhilSmith is on a distinguished road
Personally I don't like the idea of walking through a door to get to a server. I foresee two possible reasons why you would be on the login server, first being to get to a different server, the second being to play the 'empty content' levels/ talk to people. If your there for 1 reason, your not there for the other. It would just muck up the experience if you had to find the door, walk through the door, blah blah when your jus trying to get on your favorite server. This kind of stuff should be optional.
Old 04-13-2011, 02:21 AM
the fake one
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devil_Lord2 View Post
I was thinking on login with pass and user, it would just start you in the lobby at 30 30 or something, and you just walk to a server room, or talk to people lol

Kind of just eliminating the server selection :x
"Walking" to a server is a stupid idea.
Old 04-13-2011, 02:42 AM
Workin' on It
PhilSmith is on a distinguished road
Quote:
That's what i said
Old 04-13-2011, 11:43 PM
David K?
Quote:
Then you must have missed my earlier statement:

"But it would be nice to have a check box or something to just save the server you like to go on and 3 seconds of being in the room, it will automatically warp you to the server.. In case someone doesn't feel like walking to a door.."

Directed for the lazy people.. xD

It may be a stupid idea, but it is unique...

www.davidkrout.com
www.twitch.com/DavidKkz

Old 04-14-2011, 07:39 AM
Kanto League Champion
Demisis_P2P has much to be proud ofDemisis_P2P has much to be proud ofDemisis_P2P has much to be proud ofDemisis_P2P has much to be proud ofDemisis_P2P has much to be proud ofDemisis_P2P has much to be proud ofDemisis_P2P has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devil_Lord2 View Post
It may be a stupid idea, but it is unique...

Old 04-14-2011, 08:29 AM
David K?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Demisis_P2P View Post
Lotso Pictures n Stuff
I think we were talking about starting in a lobby where we could move around to select the server.. I have never had my Wii start me in the Mii lobby, and I've played on my Wii quite a few times..

Same with my PS3.. it sometimes doesn't even boot the game disc up, but it usually starts me on the screen where you select the menu you want.

But that would actually be kinda cool if my Wii did start on the Mii section o.o; How did you do it?

-EDIT-
Either way still sounds unique to me. If you'd like to try and prove me wrong in another odd way, why not take a picture of the Graal Server Zone's starting lobby and post it; it has more symbolic value. :3

www.davidkrout.com
www.twitch.com/DavidKkz

Old 04-14-2011, 08:38 AM
Extrinsical Anomaly
Fulg0reSama has a brilliant futureFulg0reSama has a brilliant futureFulg0reSama has a brilliant futureFulg0reSama has a brilliant futureFulg0reSama has a brilliant futureFulg0reSama has a brilliant futureFulg0reSama has a brilliant futureFulg0reSama has a brilliant future
Okay, so uniqueness is a little pushing on how to describe the idea, but it is definitely a smart way to introduce any new players to the game, because most people and I can bet a few will agree with me that when you start a new game of any kind or genre, unless you've decided to make your judgment right on screenshots, the login screen can give a small sized impression towards how you'll view the game in some minor way and it's like they say "You gotta make a good first impression", I mean that's why consoles like the wii, xbox 360 and PS3 are even making money.

If you can't show the game like a trophy, people will treat it like a garage sale item.

Careful, thoughts and opinions here scare people.
Old 04-14-2011, 02:20 PM
Finger lickin' good.
salesman has much to be proud ofsalesman has much to be proud ofsalesman has much to be proud ofsalesman has much to be proud ofsalesman has much to be proud ofsalesman has much to be proud ofsalesman has much to be proud of
If you were given two options: a game-like lobby where you walk to a server, or a list of servers like we have now, which would you choose as your default?

The lobby might be cool once or twice, but I think most people just want to instantly connect to their home server.
Old 04-14-2011, 04:55 PM
Past iClassic GP
Zeke is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by salesman View Post
The lobby might be cool once or twice, but I think most people just want to instantly connect to their home server.
It wouldn't be hard to have that lobby, but to also have an npc that you could set an automatic warp to your home server. Perhaps a window that pops up that says something along the lines of, "Automatically will transfer to your selected home server in 5s." And have a cancel button if you wanted to hang out on in the lobby, and an 'OMG GET ME THERE NOW' button for those who can't wait that long.

A lobby login server would be really cool. Few ideas I came up with just now:
-What I stated in the first paragraph about auto-warp.
-Lobby could just be a place for people to sit around and idle, chat, etc.
-News posted on a board there.
-Portals to other servers.
-Since it would be the gateway to all of the servers (classic and more modern), it could use a tileset that falls somewhere in between those two styles.

Just throwing some ideas out there..