Go Back   Graal Forums > PlayerWorlds > Classic Main Forum
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-02-2010, 06:16 AM
Gladius
BlackSolider will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to BlackSolider
Classic Sporting Events?

The first thing anyone needs to know about me is that I love football (the American version,) more than anything. I love playing both football and basketball, and I try to do both as much as I can.

I've always wondered if there was any way to bring these sports, as well as others, to Classic. Previously, we had soccer matches to varying degrees of success (the ball wasn't always accurate, and lots of times teams would give up,) and at one point Clel made a pretty fun tri-pong game. Luda made a cool-looking football field as well, but the game itself never got scripted.

So, any thoughts on how we can bring sports events to Classic?
---------------------------------------

Thoughts:
I'd love to feature some of the main sports (football, soccer, basketball, hockey, etc,) as part of Classic's appeal to bring in new players, but making a good version of each is the problem. Soccer is the simplest to make, since all you need to have is a ball and two goals. Hockey wouldn't be much more complicted, as all you'd likely need to add is ice. I'd love to have a passing/shooting system for both, but a simplistic version might be more realistic. Basketball would be pretty tough to script, as it'd require dribling, passing, shooting, and somehow having defensive capabilities to occasionally counter them. A football event would be very, very difficult to create if you wanted a lot of depth to it. Anything beyond a simple rugby-styled game might be too complex to create. The most complex thing I can realistic believe we could create was something similar to tecmo-bowl (vids on youtube for those who don't know what it is,) which was a simple version of american football that only used 3 buttons.

Obviously I'm just hoping to have fun versions of all of these sports, but realistic goals might limit us to hockey + soccer. Still, any ideas how to implement/script/simplify these sports is appreciated.

As always, any constructive thoughts are welcome.
Old 05-02-2010, 06:29 AM
Prince
MysticX2X will become famous soon enough
I remember hosting a custom football event on Classic with Luda's football field. It was from an idea myself and some UN players did a long time ago (Dont know if somebody mad it up before, but oh well) where you have a team, one player is essentially the running back with a bush in hand and you would have to successfully run to the other side with the bush. Was quite fun.

As for scripted sports, it could possibly work if soccer was made a bit better than a weirdly scripted ball. Football could be interesting but would need pretty innovative game mechanics so that its interesting for all players. I can imagine hockey as well and not as hard to think up.

former acc: mystic2k

RIP Matt (NBK)
Old 05-02-2010, 03:03 PM
of House Targaryen
Crimson2005 is a splendid one to beholdCrimson2005 is a splendid one to beholdCrimson2005 is a splendid one to beholdCrimson2005 is a splendid one to beholdCrimson2005 is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via MSN to Crimson2005
What about for the American football event, the offensive line is just scripted NPCs but whichever player is the QB has the ability to click and drag the NPCs in to the formation he/she wants?

Maybe the same can be done for the defensive line, I don't know. There's a lot of players and positions on an American football team, I'm thinking not every position has to be player controlled.
Old 05-02-2010, 03:48 PM
Cake'd
Nataxo is a glorious beacon of lightNataxo is a glorious beacon of lightNataxo is a glorious beacon of light
Dodgeballh hosted by Cell I think? IT WAS AWESOME.
Old 05-02-2010, 04:42 PM
RIP DarkCloud_PK
maximus_asinus has a reputation beyond reputemaximus_asinus has a reputation beyond reputemaximus_asinus has a reputation beyond reputemaximus_asinus has a reputation beyond reputemaximus_asinus has a reputation beyond reputemaximus_asinus has a reputation beyond reputemaximus_asinus has a reputation beyond reputemaximus_asinus has a reputation beyond reputemaximus_asinus has a reputation beyond reputemaximus_asinus has a reputation beyond repute
I don't know why we haven't tried emulating one of the various sport games out there. The ball (or puck) attaches to the player, and then they have the options whether to pass or shoot. Opposing players could tackle (or check) a player for a chance to free the ball (puck), etc. You could go as far as to add a build a player mode so you could make your player specialize in certain aspects (accuracy, endurance, balance, etc). Would probably be very hard to script but it would probably be the best way to emulate real life sports.
Old 05-03-2010, 01:37 AM
Zormite
BigBear3 has a reputation beyond reputeBigBear3 has a reputation beyond reputeBigBear3 has a reputation beyond reputeBigBear3 has a reputation beyond reputeBigBear3 has a reputation beyond reputeBigBear3 has a reputation beyond reputeBigBear3 has a reputation beyond reputeBigBear3 has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by maximus_asinus View Post
I don't know why we haven't tried emulating one of the various sport games out there. The ball (or puck) attaches to the player, and then they have the options whether to pass or shoot. Opposing players could tackle (or check) a player for a chance to free the ball (puck), etc. You could go as far as to add a build a player mode so you could make your player specialize in certain aspects (accuracy, endurance, balance, etc). Would probably be very hard to script but it would probably be the best way to emulate real life sports.
GK's soccer.
Old 05-07-2010, 02:56 PM
The Flying Dutchmen
DutchGuy has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Idea's are nice but we all know classic is always stuck to ideas and no one who executes them.