Graal Forums  

Go Back   Graal Forums > Development Forums > Graphic Design
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 04-23-2010, 09:00 AM
Tee Hee
smirt362 has a brilliant futuresmirt362 has a brilliant futuresmirt362 has a brilliant futuresmirt362 has a brilliant futuresmirt362 has a brilliant futuresmirt362 has a brilliant futuresmirt362 has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to smirt362 Send a message via MSN to smirt362
Quote:
Originally Posted by DustyPorViva View Post
Well, because they're for a gui instead of part of the world I never intended to give them the full depth you'd expect from their shapes.
I understand that, but I think it would look better with more depth. Just my opinion, don't really know what the rest of the GUI is going to look like so it might turn out nice.

Don Hertzfeldt <3
Old 04-23-2010, 09:57 AM
Sr Marketing Strategist
Elk has a brilliant futureElk has a brilliant futureElk has a brilliant futureElk has a brilliant futureElk has a brilliant futureElk has a brilliant futureElk has a brilliant future
Send a message via ICQ to Elk Send a message via AIM to Elk Send a message via MSN to Elk Send a message via Yahoo to Elk
I'd go with psychological complementary here using blue instead of green :o

else it reminds me of trafficlights

might aswell change the red tone(violet) and the green tone(blueer)

Old 04-23-2010, 12:35 PM
Somewhat rusty
Loriel is a name known to allLoriel is a name known to allLoriel is a name known to allLoriel is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elk View Post
I'd go with psychological complementary here using blue instead of green :o
Yeah, Mana bars are blue, does that guy not know anything?
Old 04-23-2010, 01:10 PM
Sr Marketing Strategist
Elk has a brilliant futureElk has a brilliant futureElk has a brilliant futureElk has a brilliant futureElk has a brilliant futureElk has a brilliant futureElk has a brilliant future
Send a message via ICQ to Elk Send a message via AIM to Elk Send a message via MSN to Elk Send a message via Yahoo to Elk
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loriel View Post
Yeah, Mana bars are blue, does that guy not know anything?
Sarcasm?

Anyways, green would fit more to some spiritual/nature energy...blue would be more pure

Old 04-23-2010, 01:28 PM
Kanto League Champion
Demisis_P2P has much to be proud ofDemisis_P2P has much to be proud ofDemisis_P2P has much to be proud ofDemisis_P2P has much to be proud ofDemisis_P2P has much to be proud ofDemisis_P2P has much to be proud ofDemisis_P2P has much to be proud of
Elk is right that green is too natural of a color to represent something as supernatural as magic. But blue also feels very natural to me as well, it's just not as earthly as green.

I always think of magic as purple.
I guess it depends where you think that magic comes from within the human body.
I associate magic with the power of the mind, but maybe that is just me.
But every time that I have used magic in real life it has manifested as a purple glow around my hands.
Old 04-23-2010, 03:37 PM
http://wiki.graal.us/
adam has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to adam
Quote:
Originally Posted by Demisis_P2P View Post
Elk is right that green is too natural of a color to represent something as supernatural as magic. But blue also feels very natural to me as well, it's just not as earthly as green.

I always think of magic as purple.
I guess it depends where you think that magic comes from within the human body.
I associate magic with the power of the mind, but maybe that is just me.
But every time that I have used magic in real life it has manifested as a purple glow around my hands.
It really depends on the background of the class/player using the magic for me, although often that part is not given. In fiction magic usually comes from a variety of sources: nature, mind, body, aliens, gods, demons, etc... So it's hard to peg what people universally recognize as a magical color. Although I do kinda like the purple idea, because generally magic is power, and purple often represents royalty. Also because the stoplight analogy is valid.

To comment on the rest here, I don't disagree that you have used magic in real life, I just don't think it's a good idea. o.O Want to talk more, pm I guess.

For development help, contact the patrons of the #graaldt irc channel below, I am usually there.
Click Here to Join IRC Chat Now! -- irc.freenode.net Channel: #graaldt
Quote:
<Dustyshouri> no, RogueShadow is always talking about scripts lol
<Dustyshouri> in fact, he pretty much brought Graal back as a topic single-handedly
Old 04-23-2010, 04:52 PM
Somewhat rusty
Loriel is a name known to allLoriel is a name known to allLoriel is a name known to allLoriel is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elk View Post
Sarcasm?
No, it is just that mana bars and mana potions are blue in WoW, and also in Diablo I believe~
Old 04-23-2010, 04:57 PM
Sr Marketing Strategist
Yeah but that statement is so nerdy :P

Old 04-23-2010, 05:31 PM
Rjax Shizibz
Dnegel will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loriel View Post
No, it is just that mana bars and mana potions are blue in WoW, and also in Diablo I believe~
Yah.

I've seen on some Zelda games (ALTTP f.eks) that there is green jars, and the mana is green.

And too Dusty:
I like the orb, it looks nice, and it fits the heart. But I dont like the color of it. :/

Maybe try making it look more like a Water bubble kinda, here's an example from LOZ:OOT

Like that but without the scale, would been sweet.
Old 04-23-2010, 08:00 PM
Will work for food. Maybe
DustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to DustyPorViva Send a message via MSN to DustyPorViva
Eh... by popular demand, I guess:
Old 04-23-2010, 08:02 PM
o_O
Deeek will become famous soon enough
You better make that and the heart sit right next to each other or people aren't going to know what the heck that is
Old 04-23-2010, 08:06 PM
DustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deeek View Post
You better make that and the heart sit right next to each other or people aren't going to know what the heck that is
Well it's not exactly rocket science For example, in Diablo 2 the player is just presented with two colored orbs:

Regardless, there are such things as tutorials and letting players know by telling them. Also, players will probably deduce things in a matter of seconds if they use a spell and see the numbers next to the orb decrease!

The whole point of this thread was indeed to establish a reliable icon, so there is purpose behind what you say. But I did learn a few things, 1) There doesn't seem to be any universal icon for magic like there is for health. There are a lot of icons for various attributes of magic, but nothing for magic itself. That icon being a magic hat would make just as little sense, or less, as what I have now in a world that doesn't have wizards or when players realize a hat doesn't grant magical abilities and 2) blue seems to be the universal color for magic instead(I still think green!), in which if players see a RED heart, and a BLUE orb, then deduction will lead them to know that the blue must be the magic.
Old 04-23-2010, 08:18 PM
:pluffy:
Crono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond repute
It's blue in Warcraft 3 and HoN too.
Old 04-23-2010, 08:24 PM
Rjax Shizibz
Dnegel will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by DustyPorViva View Post
- Much text and a big picture -
Mmmh, I remember when my big brother played Diablo 2, I thought those two "orbs" was two diffrent worlds.
The one with the angel was the good place, and the devil was the evil world. I have no idea why I thought they were worlds but meh.

Health is red mostly because of blood. Mana, idk.
Make a brain as a Mana Icon? xD

Also, the new color of your orb looks better.
Old 04-23-2010, 09:19 PM