Graal Forums  

Go Back   Graal Forums > Development Forums > NPC Scripting > Code Gallery
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 11-01-2009, 03:18 AM
Banned
_Z3phyr_ is an unknown quantity at this point
side-view 2d complete game system - GS1

you're welcome.

the middle right and bottom right tile of the tileset are blockable. all of the others are walkable. just thought i'd mention that.

information about why and how i did this because i feel like writing it out even though none of you will give a **** and will just end up skipping to the attachment at the end:

i was inspired to work toward creating an adventure game and after coming to dislike that GameMaker program and after failing every time to bother putting in the effort to learn how to make a game the old-fashioned way, i decided to use my knowledge of the one engine i know how to work with: this one.

i had a basic premise of the game and the cool ideas all written down and all that but after i stayed up all night last night making this, i came to realize the next day that i know myself well enough both to know and believe that i will never finish the idea. i had a lot of clever names of locations and situations to happen throughout the story, if you'll allow me to say so and not appear as a ****. i've seen way too many people start and end that way, and who am i to be an exception to the trend? so i decided that the only thing i can do is show it to someone else.

it wasn't going to be for a server, i had intended. i don't have the money for that. i was thinking along the lines of what shaded legend did way back when, except offline. my idea was that you would just download the .zip, load graal editor, open level1.nw or whatever and go as though it were an offline adventure game... like what ace2896 was working on before he stopped. i learned everything i know from that guy. i really admire that guy to this day for all the things i learned from his site. in fact, right before Geocities was closed, i saved his entire website to my hard drive so that i could keep his updated commands.rtf and all of the nifty npcs he made. i had planned to use all of this custom weapon npcs as prizes for defeating bosses and then include a tribute to him in the game as a sort of egg. i really like those games where the developers do that — especially when they let you finally be able to walk around in the rooms and places where you were watching as cutscenes throughtout the game... like in banjo-kazooie.

i've realized though whilst making this last night that all i like and want to do in terms of game development is to make puzzles. quests. what kept me going all throughout last night was the knowledge that once i get this 2d stuff out of the way, i will be able to finally make the puzzles and quests. unfortunately, though, i realized that i wouldn't have the time to do it.

a long time ago i made one of those zelda-style dungeons with puzzles and bosses and everything. it was a normal top-down quest thing you'd find in any server, except i put a lot of focus and effort into it. it was great. i was really proud of myself for finishing it... especially after i made the boss behave just like in the old snes zelda games. it had keys, puzzles, doors, custom baddies, a mini-boss, et cetera.... i gave it to that xzirox guy but i doubt he still has it or whatever. he's the only person i ever showed it to.

i really wish i had both the time, consistency, and follow through to do it. i really do. but the bills come first, you know? of course you don't. most all of you are kids. oh what the hell am i talking about....

i guess i just wanted to feel like i was good enough to do it. i'm very sad that i cannot accomplish my goal.

you're welcome.
Attached Files
File Type: zip worthless_staffmember.zip (30.5 KB, 252 views)

Last edited by _Z3phyr_; 11-01-2009 at 03:32 AM..
Old 11-01-2009, 03:53 AM
team canada
fowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond repute
The jumping seems kind of buggy, and the message inside appears very obscure. So uh.. good work I think.
Old 11-01-2009, 04:07 AM
o.o
Switch has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to Switch
I don't get it.
Why not use someone else's gravity system?
And the baddy is kind of really bugged.
Why only when I ignore you, do you return to the center of my eye?
Oh, squiggly line, it's alright, you are forgiven.
Old 11-01-2009, 04:41 AM
Banned
no it doesn't.

i redownloaded graal that night and did all of that 100% from scratch without looking at anyone's examples or models. i hadn't tried to do anything at all with this game in at least 2 years.

yes the jumping isn't perfect but its good enough to work with.

and i have no idea what you're talking about with the baddies. that's supposed to be an NPC. that's why it doesn't hurt you when you touch it.

i admit though that i had originally wanted it to be a baddy, but i was tired and decided to go to bed once i got the animations down.

feel free not to compliment me on my efforts and intentions, though.

edit - and the quote thing was a delterian staff member's comments about me in the past. i put it there for motivation's sake and didn't care enough to edit it out when i decided to make the .zip and post this thread. he's a ****.
Old 11-01-2009, 05:08 AM
Kanto League Champion
Demisis_P2P has much to be proud ofDemisis_P2P has much to be proud ofDemisis_P2P has much to be proud ofDemisis_P2P has much to be proud ofDemisis_P2P has much to be proud ofDemisis_P2P has much to be proud ofDemisis_P2P has much to be proud of
I didnt download the zip but I just want to say that I enjoyed reading this thread.
Old 11-01-2009, 02:20 PM
Master of Puppets
xXziroXx has a brilliant futurexXziroXx has a brilliant futurexXziroXx has a brilliant futurexXziroXx has a brilliant futurexXziroXx has a brilliant futurexXziroXx has a brilliant futurexXziroXx has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to xXziroXx Send a message via MSN to xXziroXx
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Z3phyr_ View Post
i gave it to that xzirox guy but i doubt he still has it or whatever. he's the only person i ever showed it to.
I feel horrible for not even remembering you doing that

Anyways, I'll check out this later when I get a couple of minutes to spare and then edit this post with my comments

"A delayed game is eventually good, but a rushed game is forever bad." - Shigeru Miyamoto
Old 11-01-2009, 08:03 PM
The Cat
Tigairius has a brilliant futureTigairius has a brilliant futureTigairius has a brilliant futureTigairius has a brilliant futureTigairius has a brilliant futureTigairius has a brilliant futureTigairius has a brilliant futureTigairius has a brilliant future
Hi,

Interesting stuff, but in the future please review the rules of the scripting forums before posting.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rules
6. When submitting new scripts to the Code Gallery, please make sure that you only submit the current standard graal script language (this means no GScript1).
We really prefer that you only submit GScript2 in the code gallery, but I understand that maybe you didn't have access to a server or something so it's ok this time.

“Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars.”
Old 11-01-2009, 08:12 PM
Master of Puppets
xXziroXx has a brilliant futurexXziroXx has a brilliant futurexXziroXx has a brilliant futurexXziroXx has a brilliant futurexXziroXx has a brilliant futurexXziroXx has a brilliant futurexXziroXx has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to xXziroXx Send a message via MSN to xXziroXx
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigairius View Post
We really prefer that you only submit GScript2 in the code gallery, but I understand that maybe you didn't have access to a server or something so it's ok this time.
Or you could just move it to the GS1 subforum?

"A delayed game is eventually good, but a rushed game is forever bad." - Shigeru Miyamoto
Old 11-01-2009, 08:30 PM
team canada
fowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by xXziroXx View Post
Or you could just move it to the GS1 subforum?
Personally, I think that the GS1 Sub-forum should burn down to the gwound.
Old 11-02-2009, 04:08 AM
Banned
i actually remember reading a post by skyid a few hours before i posted this thread saying that all gs1 threads should be labelled (which is why i labelled it gs1 here)
Old 11-02-2009, 04:38 AM
The Cat
Tigairius has a brilliant futureTigairius has a brilliant futureTigairius has a brilliant futureTigairius has a brilliant futureTigairius has a brilliant futureTigairius has a brilliant futureTigairius has a brilliant futureTigairius has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Z3phyr_ View Post
i actually remember reading a post by skyid a few hours before i posted this thread saying that all gs1 threads should be labelled (which is why i labelled it gs1 here)
Ah I see it, I will change the rules thread then to accommodate that exception.

“Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars.”
Old 04-16-2010, 07:06 AM
Banned
bumping here so that it'll be easier to find for a guy i wanted to show it to