Graal Forums  

Go Back   Graal Forums > Gold Servers > Graal Kingdoms
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 03-11-2005, 11:13 PM
Graal Administration
Admins has much to be proud ofAdmins has much to be proud ofAdmins has much to be proud ofAdmins has much to be proud ofAdmins has much to be proud ofAdmins has much to be proud of
Idea: Round-based battling for high level monsters

This has probably been suggested before, but anyway, here is the idea
(unixmad and me made up):

When you go near high-level monsters (the bosses, or in the dungeons) then the screen will switch to a battle-ground and you will fight against the monster(s) in old-fashioned round-based RPG manner. You can use spells or melee attacks and eventually flee.

The idea behind this is to make the levelling more interesting, since the real-time fights against monsters always get boring after some time, since they don't have the intelligence like a real human and there are only a limited number of attacks and often you only need to use one single attack in the good way to succeed.

Normally I don't like those games where you walk around and suddenly you are put in a battle with 10 monsters which just appeared out of nowhere and are often just annoying (if they are low-level you can flee but it is still annoying). So the concept is to still have real-time battling against low-level monsters and agaisnt players, but have more organized round-based battling against high-level monsters, and eventually also between pets of players. The battles only start if you are going close to a high level monster.

Tell me what you think !
Old 03-11-2005, 11:27 PM
call me Chad, it's cooler
Dach is on a distinguished road
It's a good alternative to higher enemy AI, to say the least. I usually prefer real-time battles, but you need good AI to make that any bit at all interesting.
Old 03-11-2005, 11:28 PM
Banned
p2p_Sir_Link is an unknown quantity at this point
RPG Battling > Real Time.
Old 03-11-2005, 11:50 PM
Gambet is on a distinguished road
I like this idea, but GK needs more monsters that give more exp. Currently, only lords give the most exp out of non map monsters, and lords hardly pop out. GK needs more overworld monsters that give a lot of exp that dont pop out once every hour x-x.

This idea is neat, but what if you're being pk'd or something? Or what if you're trying to get to some certain spot and all of a sudden you're sucked into this battle thing? Would be hard for newer players.

Off-Topic Note: Stefan, check my pm, very important.
Old 03-12-2005, 12:24 AM
BEst User EVER!
falco10291029 is on a distinguished road
YES! DO IT! This would be enough alone to get me to reupgrade my gold (I love turn based battling)
Old 03-12-2005, 12:32 AM
No, I dont think this would be turned based, because that would really suck. I think it will be more like Seiken Dendetsu 3 (I most likely spelled this wrong), except there will be battle mode screens.
Old 03-12-2005, 12:36 AM
I made a tree!
Benm00t is on a distinguished road
I hope its not turn based... Thats not battling... thats just a weird sort of two piece chess match.

~ Ben
Old 03-12-2005, 01:33 AM
Role-playing Overseer
Discharge is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to Discharge
I think its a good idea.

Discharge : RETIRED
2001-2005
Old 03-12-2005, 05:21 AM
Graal Administration
Admins has much to be proud ofAdmins has much to be proud ofAdmins has much to be proud ofAdmins has much to be proud ofAdmins has much to be proud ofAdmins has much to be proud of
It would be turn based, you choose your melee attack, spell, or you are blocking or fleeing. The opponent does the same, then you see the fight animations.
Like I said, the monsters wouldn't pop up out of nowhere, the battle would only start if you go close to a high level monster. In the dungeons you cannot avoid going close to one if you want to pass special paths, so it could also be used to make the dungeons more interesting and more like a quest.
Since the battles would be round-based, the battles would look more interesting, there would be a bigger variety of attacks. You really need to choose the good spell or choose the right weapon to beat the opponent. We could also reuse the same monster graphics for monsters of higher level, you would see some number or title next to the monster, and we could let a group of monsters attack the player. Players that are playing in parties could combine their attacks, we could allow up to 4 players to team up may be, so having 4 players vs 8 monsters or so max, or let your pet help you (mainly with spells or special skills to make you stronger).
Old 03-12-2005, 05:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan
It would be turn based, you choose your melee attack, spell, or you are blocking or fleeing. The opponent does the same, then you see the fight animations.
Like I said, the monsters wouldn't pop up out of nowhere, the battle would only start if you go close to a high level monster. In the dungeons you cannot avoid going close to one if you want to pass special paths, so it could also be used to make the dungeons more interesting and more like a quest.
Since the battles would be round-based, the battles would look more interesting, there would be a bigger variety of attacks. You really need to choose the good spell or choose the right weapon to beat the opponent. We could also reuse the same monster graphics for monsters of higher level, you would see some number or title next to the monster, and we could let a group of monsters attack the player. Players that are playing in parties could combine their attacks, we could allow up to 4 players to team up may be, so having 4 players vs 8 monsters or so max, or let your pet help you (mainly with spells or special skills to make you stronger).

I like the idea, but this will turn GK into something completely different from what it currently is. I guess thats a good thing, since everyone is quitting, but still.....

It might be one of those..'its a hit for like a month, then everyone loses interest' type things.
Old 03-12-2005, 05:59 AM
BEst User EVER!
falco10291029 is on a distinguished road
It'd be cool if the summone dmonsters came in with you. Then you have distractions for the monster. Also how would things like animate weapon work? I know I can easily kill most monsters using that with my bow, but i dont know if that would work in this....
Old 03-12-2005, 06:25 AM
Foxy
Butz is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Butz
So Magic would be slightly more useful?
Go for it.

FoxKelfonne @ DeviantART(updated: Dec 14, 2010)
Many Thanks to konidias for my avatar

Shawn Kelfonne - Aegis Mage of Dustari
Old 03-12-2005, 08:04 AM
Stiff Upper Lip
Zero Hour is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Zero Hour
Sounds fun.
Old 03-12-2005, 12:15 PM
"seized by somnolence"
sage_scooby is on a distinguished road
Sounds interesting.

I would definitely make a small test version and have some players try it first.

-[email protected]
Old 03-12-2005, 12:33 PM
Mister 1,000,000
GoZelda will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to GoZelda Send a message via MSN to GoZelda
This would really be good. It also would make GK a bit more unique, y'know?

Edit: This might also be a possibility to get some more uses for the agility skill.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lance
stefan is satan
I am the best.
[URL removed]Music or aural pollution?