Graal Forums

Graal Forums (https://forums.graalonline.com/forums/index.php)
-   Your opinion (https://forums.graalonline.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=195)
-   -   Developing should be free for servers that are staff-only (https://forums.graalonline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=87458)

salesman 08-18-2009 05:35 AM

Developing should be free for servers that are staff-only

Title pretty much says it all, but I don't think we should have to upgrade an account just to work on a server. If the server has staffonly set to true in the serveroptions, anyone with a registered account (whether it be gold, lifetime classic, or even trial) should be allowed to work there without limitations.

I'm sure some of you will say, "Whoa man, won't Graal lose tons of money?" Graal would still be making money from server rentals, and I'd imagine that more people would be willing to invest in a server knowing that their friends can work with them without upgrading. If/when the server decides to open up for players, accounts will need the appropriate subscription.

As someone who has rented a server, I know how hard it can be to find developers. The most common response I had when trying to get people to work with me was "I don't want to pay to work" -- who would?

A Global Development Team sounds nice, sure, but if you're really interested in helping developers, stop making them pay to develop your game.

papajchris 08-18-2009 05:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by salesman (Post 1515867)
Title pretty much says it all, but I don't think we should have to upgrade an account just to work on a server. If the server has staffonly set to true in the serveroptions, anyone with a registered account (whether it be gold, lifetime classic, or even trial) should be allowed to work there without limitations.

I'm sure some of you will say, "Whoa man, won't Graal lose tons of money?" Graal would still be making money from server rentals, and I'd imagine that more people would be willing to invest in a server knowing that their friends can work with them without upgrading. If/when the server decides to open up for players, accounts will need the appropriate subscription.

As someone who has rented a server, I know how hard it can be to find developers. The most common response I had when trying to get people to work with me was "I don't want to pay to work" -- who would?

A Global Development Team sounds nice, sure, but if you're really interested in helping developers, stop making them pay to develop your game.

This is a great idea, i think alot more servers would find it easier to get a staff team. And if graal really is concerned with making money they could charge a fee to get to hosted and/or to get classic. But i shouldn't be giving them any ideas to take more money from players.

fowlplay4 08-18-2009 05:43 AM

There would have to be a staff cap with this to prevent just adding everyone to their staff list, which could be very profitable actually.

I.e: Buy a server with 10? or so staff slots open. Add $5/(monthly/quarterly) for 5-10 more slots, and so on.

salesman 08-18-2009 05:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fowlplay4 (Post 1515873)
There would have to be a staff cap with this to prevent just adding everyone to their staff list, which could be very profitable actually.

I.e: Buy a server with 10? or so staff slots open. Add $5/(monthly/quarterly) for 5-10 more slots, and so on.

Good idea, and I'm sure the PWA could also intervene if a server is doing something like this.

Pelikano 08-18-2009 05:43 PM

This is a great idea, still Graal would lose money, any way you put it atleast 0.00000000000000001 Euro is being lost, so I don't think it'll happen.

As Stefan has stated once he has GIVEN UP Graal already and is SATISFIED if he earns enough to pay the servers etc.

BlueMelon 08-18-2009 06:07 PM

Great Idea.

Dragonosteel 08-18-2009 10:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fowlplay4 (Post 1515873)

Best idea ever.

Vman13x 08-19-2009 01:25 AM

Can someone send me the message where stefan says hes given up? I kind of dont believe it and would like proof.

Also I think its a great idea.

Trak 08-19-2009 02:09 AM

Its a great Idea
but wouldnt EVERYONE try and get one? wouldnt it cause some major lag issues D:

cyan3 08-19-2009 02:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trak (Post 1516158)
Its a great Idea
but wouldnt EVERYONE try and get one? wouldnt it cause some major lag issues D:

How would it cause major lag issues?

Trak 08-19-2009 03:28 AM

I was once told that all private servers are ran off the same engine or w/e they said
so if one server was to cause some major lag issues, the rest suffer

Twinny 08-19-2009 03:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trak (Post 1516195)
I was once told that all private servers are ran off the same engine or w/e they said
so if one server was to cause some major lag issues, the rest suffer

Graal servers run in Linux VServers which do use shared resources. Depending on the configuration, it is possible for an intensive process in one vserver to disrupt the other vservers (e.g. thrashing the disks) but there are probably limits setup to try and prevent this.

I think the virtual servers are spread accross a few hosts as it wouldn't be a good idea to host all UC worlds on a single server.

Trak 08-19-2009 06:12 AM

oh

TESTRETIS 08-19-2009 07:26 AM

Return of Staff accounts!

Galdor 08-19-2009 01:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TESTRETIS (Post 1516266)
Return of Staff accounts!

oh yea I had "GaldorGFX" I think :P or something like that...
But I like the ideas you guys have =D