Graal Forums  

Go Back   Graal Forums > PlayerWorlds > PlayerWorlds Main Forum
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 08-02-2008, 03:26 PM
:pluffy:
Crono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by excaliber7388 View Post
One guy who can cast cool spells (Maloria and all other clones)
You mean (Valikorlia and all the other clones). Maloria was a rip of Val 03/04.
Old 08-02-2008, 03:33 PM
Master of Puppets
xXziroXx has a brilliant futurexXziroXx has a brilliant futurexXziroXx has a brilliant futurexXziroXx has a brilliant futurexXziroXx has a brilliant futurexXziroXx has a brilliant futurexXziroXx has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to xXziroXx Send a message via MSN to xXziroXx
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crono View Post
You mean (Valikorlia and all the other clones). Maloria was a rip of Val 03/04.
Maloria is associated with it by more people, though.

"A delayed game is eventually good, but a rushed game is forever bad." - Shigeru Miyamoto
Old 08-02-2008, 04:34 PM
Crono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by xXziroXx View Post
Maloria is associated with it by more people, though.
Who cares? Val had a higher playerbase than Maloria ever had in it's time and I'd say Zodiac is the most associated by people these days. Regardless Maloria was a direct Val clone, thus correcting Excaliber's silly mistake.
Old 08-02-2008, 05:47 PM
Will work for food. Maybe
DustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to DustyPorViva Send a message via MSN to DustyPorViva
Quote:
Originally Posted by Demisis_P2P View Post
I don't think you described that correctly because fps isn't the proper term.

The 0.05 timeout doesn't affect how many frames per second you can render, doesn't it just affect loops/checks in scripts? So it would only affect reaction times (don't most reaction times average ~0.2 seconds anyway?) and detection.
And as far as hit detection, so long as you didn't have any hits/moves that lasted less than 0.05 seconds, or the possibility to move more than 3 tiles (the player's size/hitbox) in 0.05 seconds then all hits should still be detected?
I think I described it pretty accurately. Timeouts reflect how much can be processed in a second at whatever integers. The fastest being every 0.05 for Graal.

In Smash Bros., which runs at 60fps, they're processing stuff at every ~0.015 seconds. A huge difference.
Old 08-02-2008, 05:56 PM
I don't see why you guys are complaining about FPS and the actual amount of time you have to do stuff, it doesn't change the fact that you can make a SSBish kind of server and do it well if everything is well planned out in advance.

I think it's that last bit (well planed out in advance) coupled with quality manpower that's the biggest challenge on this game
Old 08-02-2008, 06:02 PM
DustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
I don't see why you guys are complaining about FPS and the actual amount of time you have to do stuff, it doesn't change the fact that you can make a SSBish kind of server and do it well if everything is well planned out in advance.

I think it's that last bit (well planed out in advance) coupled with quality manpower that's the biggest challenge on this game
It's important to a game like Smash Bros...

I just think if this were to be attempted, it would be half-assed and a complete mockery of Smash Bros... and I'd end up just popping in the real game and playing anyways.
Old 08-02-2008, 06:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DustyPorViva View Post
It's important to a game like Smash Bros...
It's important for any fighting game.

Quote:
I just think if this were to be attempted, it would be half-assed and a complete mockery of Smash Bros... and I'd end up just popping in the real game and playing anyways.
Not really, I'm sure you can have work arounds. What in particular is the problem?
Old 08-02-2008, 06:36 PM
Quote:
It's important for any fighting game.

Not really, I'm sure you can have work arounds. What in particular is the problem?
I already posted... can't you imagine the amount of work(years and years of PROFESSIONAL) that goes into developing these attack sets for each character... balancing them out, developing them, fleshing them out? Then there's the characters themselves... Graal doesn't have any notable characters, let alone ~20 to use... and there are hardly any differences between them all. I mean, we could make up characters but it wouldn't be the same.

I don't even think another company could pull it off with millions of dollars, let alone some random people on Graal. I just think it would be a waste of time and productivity.
Old 08-02-2008, 11:35 PM
I'm not trying to pretend that Graalians will be able to practically pull such a project off, I'm saying it's still technically feasible. It would never be as thorough and polished as a professional game, but it still very possible to create such a server and have it be somewhat successful (on Graal standards I'd say a steady playerbase of around 40 would be somewhat successful). I suppose it's something that's best left as a theory, but with the right team and masterminds behind it, it could very well be pulled off.

Characters aren't really an issue. The original SSB had 8 characters plus 4 unlockables. Jigglypuff was useless and Luigi was almost Mario's clone save a few powerhits and slight differences. I'm sure we could come up with atleast 5 characters.

I mean you have:

The mighty all show no go warrior from GK.

Name:  gkwarrior.png
Views: 68
Size:  16.6 KB

The possibly metro Zone posterboy.

The rough I GREW UP IN THE HOOD yet whiter than a ghost gangster from Era.

Click image for larger version

Name:	suckafoo.png
Views:	67
Size:	17.2 KB
ID:	45469
This is actually a real screenshot from the screenshot gallery, LOL

Fung Si Yan hailing from the lands of Classic.

Name:	noobready.png
Views:	78
Size:	11.6 KB
ID:	45470

The all text magician from Valikorlia.

Name:	newtownrp2.png
Views:	83
Size:	171.9 KB
ID:	45471

Secret characters could be...
Pluffy
A monkey character from Delteria
A human character from Bomy Island
A bomy from Bomy Island
Old 08-02-2008, 11:46 PM
The original SSB had 8 characters. That was a long time go... people are unhappy that Brawl had like ONLY 32 characters or something.

Not to mention this is only, so you have to have even more variety, or else people will get bored quick. The original did okay for 8 characters because it was new, and you really only played with a couple other people.

As for being technically possible... perhaps it is... but I highly doubt anyone will ever execute it well enough to be played. It is something best left as a theory.
Old 08-03-2008, 12:12 AM
Does it really matter how long ago it was? It had 12 in total including the secret characters. Regardless of that small amount of characters, I still find it enjoyable. You could have each character be customizable in terms of looks and use the servers they're from to determine how they play.

Quote:
As for being technically possible... perhaps it is... but I highly doubt anyone will ever execute it well enough to be played. It is something best left as a theory.
Agreed.
Old 08-03-2008, 01:59 AM
h8 my username
Unpredlctable is a name known to allUnpredlctable is a name known to allUnpredlctable is a name known to allUnpredlctable is a name known to all
Quote:
Secret characters could be...
Pluffy
A monkey character from Delteria
A human character from Bomy Island
A bomy from Bomy Island
And me, Jack Nicholson!

edit: wow @ RPers in Valikorlia
Old 08-03-2008, 02:22 AM
Kanto League Champion
Demisis_P2P has much to be proud ofDemisis_P2P has much to be proud ofDemisis_P2P has much to be proud ofDemisis_P2P has much to be proud ofDemisis_P2P has much to be proud ofDemisis_P2P has much to be proud ofDemisis_P2P has much to be proud of
You wouldn't even need pre-set characters.
Just continue to let players make and customize their own character, since thats one of Graal's biggest "features", lol.

Everyone could just start off with melee attacks, a few empty pre-set combo slots (Like down, down, forward, punch; back, down, left, punch; etc. which is really more like a platform-fighter than SSB anyway) and 2 weapon slots. And then they can buy, train or unlock the combos and weapons to put into those slots.

I don't think frames per second will matter, loooool.

The hardest part would be making a lobby/matchmaking service.
Old 08-03-2008, 03:10 AM
Banned
excaliber7388 can only hope to improve
Send a message via AIM to excaliber7388
Secret character: Moonie.
One hit KP for al characters: Banhammer
With specials such as delete posts (would remove a players kills)
Old 08-03-2008, 04:59 AM
(Director)
Pheonixfire is on a distinguished road
I'm not sure graal could do it well. I mean the basic system is done in tiny tiles, and how much difference would there be between a kick and a punch? You'd have to totally rework the basics for it to be like SSB... Ganis would need like a 5x zoom factor for the difference to be apparent. It would be very unique, however, if you did pull it off. It's definately feasable that it could be done, but could it be done well?