Could have a character to represent each server :o
Old 08-01-2008, 07:42 AM
Banned
excaliber7388 can only hope to improve
Send a message via AIM to excaliber7388
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinny View Post
Could have a character to represent each server :o
One guy with too many guns (Era and all Era clones)
One guy with a sword and shield (Classic and all classic clones)
One guy who can cast cool spells (Maloria and all other clones)
So... 3 characters for all the servers on graal?
Old 08-01-2008, 08:38 AM
*Shadow (Convoy)
Crono1508 will become famous soon enough
I rather see a server take similar game style like Final Fantasy III !

Old 08-01-2008, 08:54 AM
Magnificent Bastard
Draenin has much to be proud ofDraenin has much to be proud ofDraenin has much to be proud ofDraenin has much to be proud ofDraenin has much to be proud ofDraenin has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to Draenin Send a message via MSN to Draenin Send a message via Yahoo to Draenin
If you want an explanation from me, it's this...

I'm not going to deck out all of my ideas on the forums or in the articles I've been writing for the same reason scripters don't post every little bit of code they do. I've got good reason to believe some people will be taking those ideas and running with them, which on the whole is counter-productive. (I've had people ask me if they can use the d20 algorithms I posted in one entry already, despite the fact that I've said it's open-source material.)

What I'm doing right now, though, is posting material for any user to utilize, whether it's simply advice or an entire set of algorithms for a system. I'm not going to lay out a lot of content and make a buffet out of it. You'll have to do that yourself. I'm simply offering useful ideas that anyone with the slightest bit of vision can take advantage of. I've laid out plans for a number of different servers, but I'm not going to be posting any of that. If you have the drive to achieve what you envision, what I do should give you an idea of where to take things and to hit the ground running. I'm wasting my time if I'm not provoking developers to think more crucially about the content they provide to their users, which is why I so strongly disapprove of servers that directly copy content. It's okay to get a basic idea for what you want a server to be like from something else, but to duplicate it in its entirety shows an intense lack of creativity.

pic related
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1201419368618un7.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	225.2 KB
ID:	45449  
Old 08-01-2008, 09:22 AM
Banned
Heh. I know it's not an original idea, but I was just thinking about making a side scrolling server. I started to go through the process. What time period? Future, so there'd be shooting weapons... okay, movement? Very dynamic, large areas, lots of space for skill... and as I was thinking, I noticed my avatar on another forum (Samus), and thought "Gee this is starting to sound like... holy ****!" A metroid-like server.
Obviously, I'd just use that as the starting point, but yeah, the controls would be metroid like in nature. Of course, I'd add some good rpg elements, but there'd be bosses, classes, weapons and upgrades to find on quests or for purchase. I'd even put in space ships and other planets.
I'd actually enjoy a server like that. Not my most original idea, but it would be pretty fun

Now, I don't have a server, so don't go looking for this any time soon

To be honest, if I had one I'd either make that or a turn based, isometric server. Maybe I'd make both! One has more of a fast paced feel, while the other is just strategy.
As of now though, graal is painfully simple and similar across the board.
Old 08-01-2008, 02:30 PM
Will work for food. Maybe
DustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to DustyPorViva Send a message via MSN to DustyPorViva
A Metroid-like server would probably be successful. I'd play it, if it was done well. It's basically Zelda with high-tech weapons and sidescrolling.
Old 08-01-2008, 07:16 PM
Banned
Most of the things I'd make would be out of the metroid universe. Basically, the time period, some of the weapons and abilities, and the control design would be the same. It's better on a controller, so there'd be some modifications.
But yeah, that would be a really cool server I'd make it if a) I had the cash and b) There were some good Mac dev tools
Old 08-01-2008, 08:24 PM
Incubator
Inverness is a jewel in the roughInverness is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Draenin View Post
Funny, since I can say the same thing about Val. How's all that awesome roleplay going? I bet the NPCs for that are truly works of staggering genius.
What makes you think I care if Valikorlia is original or not?

And yes my behind-the-scenes scripts are quite well done. Their awesomeness has yet to be truly appreciated though.
Old 08-01-2008, 09:26 PM
That one guy...
zokemon is a jewel in the roughzokemon is a jewel in the rough
Send a message via ICQ to zokemon Send a message via AIM to zokemon Send a message via MSN to zokemon Send a message via Yahoo to zokemon
Quote:
Originally Posted by excaliber7388 View Post
Heh. I know it's not an original idea, but I was just thinking about making a side scrolling server. I started to go through the process. What time period? Future, so there'd be shooting weapons... okay, movement? Very dynamic, large areas, lots of space for skill... and as I was thinking, I noticed my avatar on another forum (Samus), and thought "Gee this is starting to sound like... holy ****!" A metroid-like server.
Obviously, I'd just use that as the starting point, but yeah, the controls would be metroid like in nature. Of course, I'd add some good rpg elements, but there'd be bosses, classes, weapons and upgrades to find on quests or for purchase. I'd even put in space ships and other planets.
I'd actually enjoy a server like that. Not my most original idea, but it would be pretty fun

Now, I don't have a server, so don't go looking for this any time soon

To be honest, if I had one I'd either make that or a turn based, isometric server. Maybe I'd make both! One has more of a fast paced feel, while the other is just strategy.
As of now though, graal is painfully simple and similar across the board.
I've made an isometric server and I'm making a side scroller. Good luck though.
Old 08-02-2008, 01:01 AM
Master of Puppets
xXziroXx has a brilliant futurexXziroXx has a brilliant futurexXziroXx has a brilliant futurexXziroXx has a brilliant futurexXziroXx has a brilliant futurexXziroXx has a brilliant futurexXziroXx has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to xXziroXx Send a message via MSN to xXziroXx
Quote:
Originally Posted by zokemon View Post
I've made an isometric server.
I beat you too it by a couple of years.

"A delayed game is eventually good, but a rushed game is forever bad." - Shigeru Miyamoto
Old 08-02-2008, 05:20 AM
Banned
Obviously, you didn't do anything with it, because something original would be on the hosted list, at least.
Old 08-02-2008, 11:03 AM
Kanto League Champion
Demisis_P2P has much to be proud ofDemisis_P2P has much to be proud ofDemisis_P2P has much to be proud ofDemisis_P2P has much to be proud ofDemisis_P2P has much to be proud ofDemisis_P2P has much to be proud ofDemisis_P2P has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by DustyPorViva View Post
Graal runs at 20fps. Typical console games run at 60fps.

Graal has a 0.05 timeout, which is 1 second / 20 frames.
60fps = 1 second / 60 frames = ~0.015 timeout. A huge difference in accuracy... 1/3 less accurate(I think, I'm terrible at fractions, could be 2/3).
I don't think you described that correctly because fps isn't the proper term.

The 0.05 timeout doesn't affect how many frames per second you can render, doesn't it just affect loops/checks in scripts? So it would only affect reaction times (don't most reaction times average ~0.2 seconds anyway?) and detection.
And as far as hit detection, so long as you didn't have any hits/moves that lasted less than 0.05 seconds, or the possibility to move more than 3 tiles (the player's size/hitbox) in 0.05 seconds then all hits should still be detected?

Last edited by Demisis_P2P; 08-02-2008 at 11:38 AM..
Old 08-02-2008, 12:01 PM
Master of Puppets
xXziroXx has a brilliant futurexXziroXx has a brilliant futurexXziroXx has a brilliant futurexXziroXx has a brilliant futurexXziroXx has a brilliant futurexXziroXx has a brilliant futurexXziroXx has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to xXziroXx Send a message via MSN to xXziroXx
Quote:
Originally Posted by excaliber7388 View Post
Obviously, you didn't do anything with it, because something original would be on the hosted list, at least.
If you were referring to what I said, no, I didn't. I scripted it for Raelyn who never did anything with it.

http://forums.graalonline.com/forums...ad.php?t=65539

"A delayed game is eventually good, but a rushed game is forever bad." - Shigeru Miyamoto
Old 08-02-2008, 03:10 PM
Banned
Should have done something with that