Graal Forums  

Go Back   Graal Forums > Development Forums > NPC Scripting
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 01-08-2012, 10:43 AM
Extrinsical Anomaly
Fulg0reSama has a brilliant futureFulg0reSama has a brilliant futureFulg0reSama has a brilliant futureFulg0reSama has a brilliant futureFulg0reSama has a brilliant futureFulg0reSama has a brilliant futureFulg0reSama has a brilliant futureFulg0reSama has a brilliant future
Curious about a Possibility

Okay, I've noticed something small dealing with the general FAQ system.

Let's say I want to go on UN, right?

Let's say for hypothetical reasons, I am completely unaware of the quest systems or simply how to navigate the world...

I ask an FAQ how to go to so and so place, but I don't understand their actual directions! Now below is my question.

Would it be possible for there to be a system to where an FAQ can actually place a marker for you towards your map or something even simpler as placing an arrow on your screen that would point the general direction you have to go in order to find the place you wish to find? If so, may I be told how complicated that could be?

Here's a paint made example.

Clarification of Example: I'm trying to get back to a friend that is in Town Center, but I'm unable to find my way back.
This arrow would indicate the general direction of where Town Center is. When I make it there, I guess by a general area check or so made by an FAQ for you.

Careful, thoughts and opinions here scare people.
Old 01-08-2012, 10:50 AM
the fake one
cbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to cbk1994
It's possible, we did it before on Era for PPA to locate people to protect.
Old 01-08-2012, 10:57 AM
Extrinsical Anomaly
Fulg0reSama has a brilliant futureFulg0reSama has a brilliant futureFulg0reSama has a brilliant futureFulg0reSama has a brilliant futureFulg0reSama has a brilliant futureFulg0reSama has a brilliant futureFulg0reSama has a brilliant futureFulg0reSama has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbk1994 View Post
It's possible, we did it before on Era for PPA to locate people to protect.
Cool, Now would it be by any chance intensive on the server to be able to have the NPC server communicate to a player through a PM from the server to give you additional, but optional information provided by an FAQ?

Like you find that checkpoint provided by the FAQ, and then once reached, the NPC server would (or would not) send you a PM from the NPC-Server saying "The FAQ, -Name Here- has decided to leave you with some additional information now that you've found where you wanted to be!"

Also, thank you for answering my questions

Old 01-08-2012, 11:02 AM
Banned
ffcmike has a reputation beyond reputeffcmike has a reputation beyond reputeffcmike has a reputation beyond reputeffcmike has a reputation beyond reputeffcmike has a reputation beyond reputeffcmike has a reputation beyond reputeffcmike has a reputation beyond reputeffcmike has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to ffcmike Send a message via MSN to ffcmike
Not the same thing but one day I hope to script a system where a player can receive upon request pre-defined help according to what level they're in.
Old 01-08-2012, 11:04 AM
Extrinsical Anomaly
Quote:
Originally Posted by ffcmike View Post
Not the same thing but one day I hope to script a system where a player can receive upon request pre-defined help according to what level they're in.
That's a beautiful system idea, very close to what I've had in mind.

Old 01-08-2012, 11:11 AM
Banned
ffcmike has a reputation beyond reputeffcmike has a reputation beyond reputeffcmike has a reputation beyond reputeffcmike has a reputation beyond reputeffcmike has a reputation beyond reputeffcmike has a reputation beyond reputeffcmike has a reputation beyond reputeffcmike has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to ffcmike Send a message via MSN to ffcmike
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fulg0reSama View Post
That's a beautiful system idea, very close to what I've had in mind.
The tricky part would really be making both a convenient format to read the information, with a way for FAQ staff to modify/update it.
I wouldn't want players to just receive a wall of text via server PM.
Old 01-08-2012, 11:24 AM
Extrinsical Anomaly
Quote:
Originally Posted by ffcmike View Post
The tricky part would really be making both a convenient format to read the information, with a way for FAQ staff to modify/update it.
I wouldn't want players to just receive a wall of text via server PM.
True.

This could be done in the form of the whole sign reading system, but then you'd stop them entirely until they finish reading.

Quite a Conundrum

Old 01-08-2012, 05:49 PM
o.o
Switch has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to Switch
It probably wouldn't be that CPU intensive. Just define an area, send the coords, and clientside do all the work translating to the pointing arrow.
Why only when I ignore you, do you return to the center of my eye?
Oh, squiggly line, it's alright, you are forgiven.
Old 01-09-2012, 03:28 AM
Extrinsical Anomaly
Quote:
Originally Posted by Switch View Post
It probably wouldn't be that CPU intensive. Just define an area, send the coords, and clientside do all the work translating to the pointing arrow.
That's what I was hoping for as an answer, neat

My last question would be, If someone was to attempt this system, what kind of scripts would be required?

I can imagine simply using a class and a hidden weapon script, but I think I'm missing something.