Graal Forums  

Go Back   Graal Forums > Development Forums > Level Design
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 08-24-2013, 10:55 AM
RIP DarkCloud_PK
maximus_asinus has a reputation beyond reputemaximus_asinus has a reputation beyond reputemaximus_asinus has a reputation beyond reputemaximus_asinus has a reputation beyond reputemaximus_asinus has a reputation beyond reputemaximus_asinus has a reputation beyond reputemaximus_asinus has a reputation beyond reputemaximus_asinus has a reputation beyond reputemaximus_asinus has a reputation beyond reputemaximus_asinus has a reputation beyond repute
no he can't, he is a terrible LAT
Old 08-24-2013, 04:58 PM
:pluffy:
Crono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamaeru View Post
Crono can you seriously not make one level god damn son.
I was working on a small gmap but lost interest. I don't really dev on Graal, more of a Dota 2 player. The shallow water was gonna have grass paths, top of the cliff detailed with trees etc.

The idea was that you hit the hammer-stump...thing with a hammer and the mouth on the cliff opens.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	lolhi.png
Views:	352
Size:	371.3 KB
ID:	55476  
Old 08-24-2013, 05:09 PM
G2k1
Kamaeru has much to be proud ofKamaeru has much to be proud ofKamaeru has much to be proud ofKamaeru has much to be proud ofKamaeru has much to be proud ofKamaeru has much to be proud of
Hmm, well who's judging this? By my judgement you fail I give this level a 2/10 incomplete level.
Everyone else please submit your rating of levels now, competition is closed.
Old 08-24-2013, 05:58 PM
Crono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond repute
Considering I didn't submit anything you win by default, even though your tile-error ridden level is **** on by just about anything on my incomplete gmap.
Old 08-25-2013, 02:51 AM
G2k1
Kamaeru has much to be proud ofKamaeru has much to be proud ofKamaeru has much to be proud ofKamaeru has much to be proud ofKamaeru has much to be proud ofKamaeru has much to be proud of
If anything my tasteful level could teach your level a thing or two about not shitting everywhere.

Even if you would have completed the level you still would have lost, mainly because your idea of hitting a stake with a hammer in the middle of a body of water was really out of place, and only served the purpose of you showing off (which subsequently you couldn't even boast anything).
To be fair, this is the only level I have ever seen which has been made by you. I'm going to pretend like I never saw the ones you linked to because they were pretty terrible even compared to this **** storm.

Now I will cover the topic of tile errors, and explain where you have failed in your level at using tiles properly. The first two problems lie in the southwest and southeast corners of the level. Do I need to circle these screw-ups in MS Paint for you or something? This looks god awful, a completely unintended use of the tile set. The graveyard looks like something you would see on Unholy Nation. That's not how you tile a grave yard properly, and I don't feel the need to provide any further backup for this statement. Ask and you shall receive.
Actually, you can find problems with your level in these places: North, South, East, and West quadrants. Any direction you look there is something incomplete and what has been tiled was done very liberally, as if the creator was new to leveling or something.
You said my level was "error-ridden". Where?

You did two things right. The first one is the dungeon entrance, good job. Looks sort of like it could have been semi-cool, if completed and polished. The second one is the shallow water, you basically used this properly, and I mean a once-in-graal-history proper usage type of deal. This is very similar to how the tiles were used in Zelda, I mean. But you said yourself that you planned on messing it up with grass tiles.

Last edited by Kamaeru; 08-25-2013 at 03:10 AM..
Old 08-25-2013, 03:06 AM
Sr Marketing Strategist
Elk has a brilliant futureElk has a brilliant futureElk has a brilliant futureElk has a brilliant futureElk has a brilliant futureElk has a brilliant futureElk has a brilliant future
Send a message via ICQ to Elk Send a message via AIM to Elk Send a message via MSN to Elk Send a message via Yahoo to Elk
Very nice concept gerami

Old 08-25-2013, 03:20 AM
the KattMan
MattKan is a splendid one to beholdMattKan is a splendid one to beholdMattKan is a splendid one to beholdMattKan is a splendid one to beholdMattKan is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to MattKan
Cave is cool
On the other hand, free-to-play games, if unbalanced, could result in some consumers paying extremely large amounts of money, and we can certainly not expect to build a good relationship with our consumers in this fashion. In order to have a favorable long-term relationship, we would like to offer free-to-play games that are balanced and reasonable.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unximad
Eurocenter Games remains attached to the values of indies game developer and to the service our playerbase community.
Old 08-25-2013, 03:37 AM
Sr Marketing Strategist
Elk has a brilliant futureElk has a brilliant futureElk has a brilliant futureElk has a brilliant futureElk has a brilliant futureElk has a brilliant futureElk has a brilliant future
Send a message via ICQ to Elk Send a message via AIM to Elk Send a message via MSN to Elk Send a message via Yahoo to Elk
Surely it can be improved visually, but the idea behind it is cool

Old 08-25-2013, 03:42 AM
Extrinsical Anomaly
Fulg0reSama has a brilliant futureFulg0reSama has a brilliant futureFulg0reSama has a brilliant futureFulg0reSama has a brilliant futureFulg0reSama has a brilliant futureFulg0reSama has a brilliant futureFulg0reSama has a brilliant futureFulg0reSama has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crono View Post
I was working on a small gmap but lost interest. I don't really dev on Graal, more of a Dota 2 player. The shallow water was gonna have grass paths, top of the cliff detailed with trees etc.

The idea was that you hit the hammer-stump...thing with a hammer and the mouth on the cliff opens.
Honestly, I can understand not wanting to develop for Graal anymore.

But as for the level you did put in and for what information you did submit that wasn't included, here's my two cents on it.

It's plain and it's not exactly interesting by itself, I wouldn't go as far as Kamaeru said and say it was a failure, it's just average for incomplete.
As far as interaction for the area, it has potential, but without any further information it is rather ham-fisted.

Careful, thoughts and opinions here scare people.
Old 08-25-2013, 04:00 AM
G2k1
Rather quite ham fisted. Why the heck would do you have to walk all the way across a gmap to get to the stake? It's not like it's hidden, it's obviously meant to catch the player's eye. What kind of gameplay concept is this? Argh it's driving me insane! I hope there's a run button in your game because walking across that shallow water to hit that stake looks boring as ****, whether you put some grass tiles there or not man.

I can imagine how this game plays out. I was thinking this must be the beginning and first dungeon, because the player doesn't require anything besides pulling their thumb out of their ass to figure out how to get inside. It's a lot like The Great Deku Tree, so I'm going to call this hill The Great Doo-Doo Hill. Doo-Doo Hill says to the player
Quote:
"You must save Hyrule, you are the chosen boy. If you could only muster up the Courage, your journey will take you to far away places. Now I will die, but in order to proceed you must go over there to The Stake. It is... The Master Stake. Only the chosen boy can hit The Master Stake..."
Old 08-25-2013, 05:40 AM
Extrinsical Anomaly
Fulg0reSama has a brilliant futureFulg0reSama has a brilliant futureFulg0reSama has a brilliant futureFulg0reSama has a brilliant futureFulg0reSama has a brilliant futureFulg0reSama has a brilliant futureFulg0reSama has a brilliant futureFulg0reSama has a brilliant future
Quote:
Rather quite ham fisted. Why the heck would do you have to walk all the way across a gmap to get to the stake? It's not like it's hidden, it's obviously meant to catch the player's eye. What kind of gameplay concept is this? Argh it's driving me insane! I hope there's a run button in your game because walking across that shallow water to hit that stake looks boring as ****, whether you put some grass tiles there or not man.

I can imagine how this game plays out. I was thinking this must be the beginning and first dungeon, because the player doesn't require anything besides pulling their thumb out of their ass to figure out how to get inside. It's a lot like The Great Deku Tree, so I'm going to call this hill The Great Doo-Doo Hill. Doo-Doo Hill says to the player
I think you're getting a bit too serious lol

Careful, thoughts and opinions here scare people.
Old 08-25-2013, 06:05 AM
Gonna be honest, didn't really read a word of Kamaeru's rant. You're way too serious about LATing, it's just something I used to do for fun bro.

The levels I've posted here have always been impractical and about style over anything else. The fact that I pieced together a few stupid cliffs properly (something like 99% of Graal's LATs (including you) can't even do to this day, even with Wan's pre-defined cliff pack) utterly destroys your mess of a level. Where's your styling? Where's your detail? Why the disgusting tile errors? I get that you want to mimic the alttp style, but if you think that's aesthetic then I feel sorry for you.

To elaborate for others, there was gonna be an NPC in the open field of grass where you get your hammer. He gives it to you, you bang open dat cave door, walk in. Straight forward, no bull****, like a proper game should be anyway. Rest was going to be standard, pretty dirt roads, splashes of dirt-water here and there for flare etc, dat grass detail I do that everyone seems to appreciate, and so on.

Fact is, making levels isn't fun for me anymore. It's incredibly boring and I hate opening level editor.
Old 08-25-2013, 09:00 AM
xAndrewx has much to be proud ofxAndrewx has much to be proud ofxAndrewx has much to be proud ofxAndrewx has much to be proud ofxAndrewx has much to be proud ofxAndrewx has much to be proud ofxAndrewx has much to be proud of
Quote:
Dudes, just click the tiles.

I'm trying to get faster at leveling and being able to polish them nicely but also keep them simple and establish a speed of work so that my amount of skill can actually be applied.
Unfinished level - 0.05 / 10.

Also because you're an idiot if you think players can walk over these tiles which makes this place look stupid.
Old 08-25-2013, 10:16 PM
G2k1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crono View Post
I get that you want to mimic the alttp style, but if you think that's aesthetic then I feel sorry for you.
The rules of the competition were to mimic this style, I pointed out your failure to appreciate the style in general. These tiles we are using were designed to be used in that style, so it is the most adequate and general designated style to use in a competitive format. Your style is more like Rock n Roll or Jazz, whereas the qualifying factor in the competition was a truly Classical style, and I don't mean Classic.

As far as taste for aesthetic goes, I don't think it takes a genius to make a strong argument that ALTTP has much better aesthetic than both of our levels. It also doesn't take a genius to notice that it also has a lot, lot more tile errors than Graal does, and still maintains some of the dopest and most influential levels ever made. Whenever you talk about the leveling style of Zelda as if it were somehow ugly or improper in a level design forum about using custom Zelda 3 tilesets which you are subsequently the moderator of, it makes you look like you're contradicting yourself. And it also makes me want to shove my head through my monitor violently. My bullshit detector is going off about ten times per post you make.
Old 08-26-2013, 04:15 AM
RIP DarkCloud_PK
maximus_asinus has a reputation beyond reputemaximus_asinus has a reputation beyond reputemaximus_asinus has a reputation beyond reputemaximus_asinus has a reputation beyond reputemaximus_asinus has a reputation beyond reputemaximus_asinus has a reputation beyond reputemaximus_asinus has a reputation beyond reputemaximus_asinus has a reputation beyond reputemaximus_asinus has a reputation beyond reputemaximus_asinus has a reputation beyond repute
Crono's level wins because he actually has a plan for his level akin to let's say Turtle Rock or Desert Temple in LTTP. I can see what Kamaeru was going for and it could have been good but choice of tiles was terrible.