Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-20-2011, 05:30 AM
Banned
Vinka has a spectacular aura aboutVinka has a spectacular aura about
Europa: Hiring Manager!

Europa
Looking for a new Manager

As many of you know, I've been managing and working extremely hard on my server 'Europa' for the past few months. (If not, you may want to browse through the Europa Updates Thread to see what it's about). After reflecting on my progress and work ethics I have concluded I need a manager.

Why do I need a manager?

I came to realize I'm simply not a born manager. I'm not good at it and I never will. I'm a designer. I have a vision for what I'm creating and I'm sticking to that vision no matter what. Developing a Graal server is a team's project, it's virtually impossible to do it on your own. Therefore, a manager is essential. Managers create order, interact with it's team, makes sure everything is done as planned within a time frame and keeps things together on a consistent basis. That's almost the opposite of what I'm good at, I pretty much have a chaotic mind that has occasional spurs of inspiration to design something, therefore consistancy isn't my strength.

This is exactly why I am not at the stage I planned to be. If I would've taken all of the time and energy I put into managing the server and its workers I would have already designed 90% of the server, by far. I had burned out twice badly for this exact reason, I tried to do everything but ended up managing with a clogged mind 90% of my time devoting to the project.

I am almost sure that if I go on like this Europa may never become a reality. And I believe it (I hope you too) would be a great opportunity lost.

What can you expect working as Europa's manager?

One of the things that had stopped me from looking for a manager is the belief that managers need creative control over the server's direction - which I like to keep at all cost. My role in this is to be the designer, I create the vision and decide what kind of work has to be done. This doesn't however, mean that you have no influence at all on the server's direction. I maintain a general to do list to get to our goal at hand (in the case of this very moment; hitting the Hosted tab). Keeping this overview of tasks documented on the server, and having it updated regularly.

Your role in this is to make sure things happen. You interact with me and my development team and frequently remind us of the bigger picture and our current set of tasks at hand.

You will lead a team hungry to provide Graal Online with a fun, exciting and refreshing enviroment to play in. And to contribute in creating a milestone in Graal Online's history in combination with the other great upcoming servers and Stefan's upcoming updates and releases.

Requirements

Although I don't want to raise the bar too high, I definitly want to set the requirements to the server's standard. I would rather have noone manage the server than some average manager who cares only about the title and likes to command everyone while he's roaming around with a scattered brain.
  • Share a common vision.
    I absolutely need someone who's tuned in with our vision. The last thing I would want is waste one's time who would rather manage and create a server which includes Gangs, gunfights and picking flowers.
  • Loving what you do.
    Even if though you'd be a really good manager, if you absolutely don't like the idea of managaing and you'd rather be designing beautifuly detailed levels. This really wouldn't be worth your time. Leave out the good, go for the great.
  • Activity
    Being active is an absolute must, however often that means for you. It's essential to have you around frequently to keep things going fluid and keep the development process consistent.
  • Attitude
    If you haven't noticed yet, I am very serious about this project. I want to do this either a 100%, or don't do it at all. My decision to make this happen has been made, and it will be sticked to untill it has happened. Not only this, but a general attitude of humility, kindness, patience and respect goes a long way. If you feel your attitude complements mine, you're set.
    I believe this one is obvious. Managers are there to be trusted on. I'd need you to have a clean history, experience as a manager or similair profession elsewhere, and a few people who can refer you to me.

If you believe you meet the requirements on the list, and you're still interested in this position, I'd like you to fill in this small form as an application and send it to me either through a forum PM, or an e-mail to: [email protected]
_____

Graal Account and/or Community Name:
-

Nickname:
-

Country/State and/or Time Zone:
-

Previous positions on Graal and on which server(s):
-

Name at least two referrals who I can contact to confirm your reputation and position. Also to optionally tell me more about you:
-

Give us one short and strong sentence explaining exactly why you would like to work with us on Europa:
-

Last edited by Vinka; 06-20-2011 at 05:50 AM..
Old 06-20-2011, 06:26 AM
Đucimus.
Nonepwnz is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Nonepwnz
I wish everyone good luck and I hope for Europa to gain an experienced & kind Manager!
Old 06-20-2011, 11:04 AM
Not the fruit.
Kiwi27 will become famous soon enough
I wish everyone good luck, too, if they choose to apply.

But I have a question. Would the persons age make it any different if they have a record just as good as everyone else?
Old 06-20-2011, 01:14 PM
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwi27 View Post
But I have a question. Would the persons age make it any different if they have a record just as good as everyone else?
Not as much. Having age be an important component would be slightly discriminative. Although, age generally has an influence on ones behaviour, how they react in certain situations, the decisions they make and how much time they are able to devote to the project.
Old 06-20-2011, 04:11 PM
the KattMan
MattKan is a splendid one to beholdMattKan is a splendid one to beholdMattKan is a splendid one to beholdMattKan is a splendid one to beholdMattKan is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to MattKan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinka View Post
Not as much. Having age be an important component would be slightly discriminative. Although, age generally has an influence on ones behaviour, how they react in certain situations, the decisions they make and how much time they are able to devote to the project.

Good to know Vinka isn't one of those freaks who think they can do everything.

Good luck to everybody applying!!! (Unless you are some power hungry noob, in which case, I wish you the worst luck possible because Vinka and Europa don't need you.)

Last edited by MattKan; 06-20-2011 at 04:40 PM..
Old 06-20-2011, 05:25 PM
Vendetta
JesusFreak250 will become famous soon enough
good luck!
Old 06-21-2011, 01:45 PM
Raspberry is on a distinguished road
Vinka your a fantastic designer that's for sure, its ashame you can't manage the server on your own(and i don't blame you) good luck to everyone who's applying!(i for one am not intending to apply) but i know whoever Vinka chooses as Manager will be the right choice
Old 06-21-2011, 01:48 PM
patrickp2p is an unknown quantity at this point
Goodluck! I have come to love you thom (*Vinka) :P as a great owner and a great friend. I hope you get MANY replies (Which is a no brainer) :P.

Love me or hate me? O:

<--Are Questions Accepted Here? (:
Old 06-22-2011, 06:11 PM
Delterian Hybrid
Emera is a jewel in the roughEmera is a jewel in the rough
Ninja got the job :/
Old 06-22-2011, 06:14 PM
the KattMan
MattKan is a splendid one to beholdMattKan is a splendid one to beholdMattKan is a splendid one to beholdMattKan is a splendid one to beholdMattKan is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emera View Post
Ninja got the job :/
Well did you expect him to choose YOU with all of YOUR managing experience?

Congratulations to Ninja; I know you've already been hard at work with Europa scripting, so I think it's pretty much a no-brainer to make you manager. Keep up the good work, and good luck, although you really don't need it .
Old 06-22-2011, 09:36 PM
Banned
Thanks for the kind words guys

Ninja is actually just 'filling in' untill I've chosen the new Manager . So I won't go back to managing at all from this point.

I am still open to applications!
Old 06-22-2011, 10:22 PM
Deas
Deas_Voice is a jewel in the roughDeas_Voice is a jewel in the rough
Send a message via AIM to Deas_Voice Send a message via MSN to Deas_Voice Send a message via Yahoo to Deas_Voice
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattKan View Post
so I think it's pretty much a no-brainer to make you manager.
i don't know, making a worker-bee an high ranked bee with many more responsibilities plus it's former responsibility can kill it's productiveness.
since 2003~
I Support~
ღAeonღ | ღTestbedღ | ღDelteriaღ

if you are going to rep me, don't be an idiot, leave your name!
I got nothing but love for you
Old 06-23-2011, 02:42 AM
the KattMan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deas_Voice View Post
i don't know, making a worker-bee an high ranked bee with many more responsibilities plus it's former responsibility can kill it's productiveness.
You raise a good point.

Well, good thing it's only temporary, I guess...
On the other hand, free-to-play games, if unbalanced, could result in some consumers paying extremely large amounts of money, and we can certainly not expect to build a good relationship with our consumers in this fashion. In order to have a favorable long-term relationship, we would like to offer free-to-play games that are balanced and reasonable.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unximad
Eurocenter Games remains attached to the values of indies game developer and to the service our playerbase community.
Old 06-28-2011, 03:04 AM
Unholy Nation FAQ
james544 is on a distinguished road
This server has great potential. I hope it goes Classic.
Old 06-28-2011, 03:26 AM
skillmaster19 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by james544 View Post
This server has great potential. I hope it goes Classic.
It's dead.
Closed Thread