Graal Forums  

Go Back   Graal Forums > Development Forums > Future Improvements
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 04-26-2008, 09:02 AM
busy no pms ever
Stromstedt is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Stromstedt
Message encoding

Graal should use UTF-8 encoding to open the boundaries from countries that don't use roman alphabet. I think it would benefit the game more than it does now and I don't think it would be very hard. It would be good to use UTF-8 so people can type any language they want and it would display correctly. If we broaden our audience, Graal will become more popular. For instance, if I try to type a japanese character, such as the Japanese ka(か), it just shows up as a question marks.

This would broaden our audience and make the gameplay fun with some more people from other interesting parts of the world.
Originally Posted by Stromstedt View Post
Do you smile when you speak? Did you know it enhances voice quality?
Did you know it makes you sound like an internet pervert? lol
Old 04-26-2008, 05:36 PM
Boom!
Stephen has much to be proud ofStephen has much to be proud ofStephen has much to be proud ofStephen has much to be proud ofStephen has much to be proud ofStephen has much to be proud of
I really doubt Graal lost many - if any - players because PMs weren't in UTF-8
Old 04-26-2008, 06:20 PM
the fake one
cbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to cbk1994
Even back when there were a lot of people speaking Dutch on Atlantis, everyone still spoke English.
Old 04-27-2008, 01:16 AM
busy no pms ever
Stromstedt is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Stromstedt
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
I really doubt Graal lost many - if any - players because PMs weren't in UTF-8
This forum post is about attracting new audiences to Graal, not people quitting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbkbud View Post
Even back when there were a lot of people speaking Dutch on Atlantis, everyone still spoke English.
That isn't really true, the whole server is in German, not Dutch. Everybody on Atlantis speaks German for the most part. Attracting new people to Graal would bring a new twist and make the gameplay more fun. It wouldn't be that hard to fix it like this.
Do you smile when you speak? Did you know it enhances voice quality?
Did you know it makes you sound like an internet pervert? lol
Old 04-27-2008, 01:22 AM
ǝɔɐɹq ʎןɹnɔ
Crow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
I think I have to kill you..
Old 04-27-2008, 02:47 AM
Boom!
Stephen has much to be proud ofStephen has much to be proud ofStephen has much to be proud ofStephen has much to be proud ofStephen has much to be proud ofStephen has much to be proud of
Quote:
This would broaden our audience and make the gameplay fun with some more people from other interesting parts of the world.
That's true enough, but maybe you should let the administration worry about that. They're the only ones who will be taking any action.

That being said, I really think (if they're worried about attracting broader audiences) they should maybe advertise there... not say "Hay, you can type in your language here... and the game play is second to that!"

Old 04-27-2008, 02:49 AM
the fake one
cbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crow View Post
I think I have to kill you..
I'm sorry, I knew it was German, I wasn't thinking.

In any case, what I said holds true, for the most part.

Again, sorry, I know it's German
Old 04-27-2008, 03:06 AM
Boom!
Quote:
I'm sorry, I knew it was German, I wasn't thinking.

In any case, what I said holds true, for the most part.

Again, sorry, I know it's German
Dutch, German... they're both the same to me - foreigners!
Old 04-27-2008, 06:32 AM
A Serious Epidemic
Googi has much to be proud ofGoogi has much to be proud ofGoogi has much to be proud ofGoogi has much to be proud ofGoogi has much to be proud ofGoogi has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to Googi
Quote:
For instance, if I try to type a japanese character, such as the Japanese ka(か), it just shows up as a question marks.
You don't need to type the Japanese ka(か). You aren't going to impress anybody.
Old 04-27-2008, 10:17 AM
The secret of NIMH
Robin will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to Robin
Most japanese people I know would gladly type in romanji, (that's, japanese phonetics in roman lettering), in the absence of UTF-8, but then, they all speak english too. This isn't that big a deal, and I for one am tired of people using odd lettering in their names/pms. Yes, you can type Alt+160. Great job. I don't care.
Old 04-28-2008, 02:19 AM
Graal Administration
Admins has much to be proud ofAdmins has much to be proud ofAdmins has much to be proud ofAdmins has much to be proud ofAdmins has much to be proud ofAdmins has much to be proud of
It would be good if such good ideas don't get spammed with pointless posts. Most people don't like to chat if it's not in their mother language. Adding support for typing and displaying unicode text would be a good improvement.
Old 04-28-2008, 02:50 AM
Master of Puppets
xXziroXx has a brilliant futurexXziroXx has a brilliant futurexXziroXx has a brilliant futurexXziroXx has a brilliant futurexXziroXx has a brilliant futurexXziroXx has a brilliant futurexXziroXx has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to xXziroXx Send a message via MSN to xXziroXx
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan View Post
It would be good if such good ideas don't get spammed with pointless posts. Most people don't like to chat if it's not in their mother language. Adding support for typing and displaying unicode text would be a good improvement.
I beg to differ. SOME people might not like it, but definitely not MOST.

"A delayed game is eventually good, but a rushed game is forever bad." - Shigeru Miyamoto
Old 04-28-2008, 03:01 AM
the fake one
This would be a good idea, I agree most people would prefer to speak in their native tongue.
Old 04-28-2008, 03:24 AM
Master of Puppets
xXziroXx has a brilliant futurexXziroXx has a brilliant futurexXziroXx has a brilliant futurexXziroXx has a brilliant futurexXziroXx has a brilliant futurexXziroXx has a brilliant futurexXziroXx has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to xXziroXx Send a message via MSN to xXziroXx
To make myself more clear, I will quote Stefan more detailed:

PHP Code:
Most people don't like to chat if it's not in their mother language
He was basically saying, that if you dont speak english as your native language, you dont like to chat with others. I disagree with that, SOME might not like it, but definitely not MOST.

More clear this time?

"A delayed game is eventually good, but a rushed game is forever bad." - Shigeru Miyamoto
Old 04-28-2008, 04:03 AM
the fake one
Quote:
Originally Posted by xXziroXx View Post
To make myself more clear, I will quote Stefan more detailed:

PHP Code:
Most people don't like to chat if it's not in their mother language
He was basically saying, that if you dont speak english as your native language, you dont like to chat with others. I disagree with that, SOME might not like it, but definitely not MOST.

More clear this time?
I understand what you're saying, I'm saying generally most people would prefer to speak in their native tongue, and in any case, that's not relevant to the topic that some would