Graal Forums  

Go Back   Graal Forums > General Forums > Graal Main Forum (English)
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 09-06-2005, 06:26 AM
bef is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to bef Send a message via MSN to bef
What makes a good server?

After debating with myself for several years as to why certain servers attract a large playercount and others don't, I figured it best to pose the question to the Graal community.

What makes a good server?
There are servers currently listed which I'd consider good only as a result of their playercount, and not as a result of quality content...

I question the intentions of Graalians, what do you get out of the server you play?

I personally play Shaded Legend, reason being; SL has a rich storyline, involved and challenging quests and an era which the entire server is based around. It also keeps classic elements of Graal, whilst slightly adapting and improving them. The only "unattractive" part of Shaded Legend is the lacking playercount, I wonder why it's lacking...

Unholy Nation, a thriving server, has a staff member who informed me the server was "medieval", unfortunately this "era" isn't constant, nor is it even apparent... There's cars and motorbikes, guns and such forth...

So is it merely the ability to play a server with a crippled economy where you can easily work your way to self-respect by gaining gralats that keeps you playing servers? Or is it the variety and range of NPC's and items which you find attractive?

Along with Shaded Legend, I also respect;
Graal Classic as it is truly original
Maloria as it has implemented entirely new and functional systems
Zenkou as it's standards surpass anything I have ever seen on this game.

I truly do not undertstand players reasons for choosing one server over another- if the server they are choosing has absolutely nothing to respect, bar the playercount.

Saying a server is good because Sparring is a central focus and is given huge importance is fine, however most servers use the same battle system and what you really like is the fact that the playercount is high, so the spar activity is also high.

You see, I'll continue to play Shaded Legend in hope that players will realise that SL's quality is excellent, as is it's consistancy and depth... Players aren't attracted because they see the playercount is low, is that really a reason not to give a great server a chance? No, it's not - you oughta give each server a chance and play it regardless of the playercount... If you like a server and it's lacking players, Do as I do and tell your friends or the community what you like about that server and how it is better than other servers which are played by a higher percentage of the Graalian Public.

I hope some people respond and defend or promote the servers they love and also throw in their reasons for choosing one server over another. I hope nobody becomes overly negative, a thread closure is not what I am aiming for!

Thanks for reading...
Old 09-06-2005, 07:26 AM
Assimilated Zurkiba
Zurkiba is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Zurkiba
The driving force of Graal is the ability to form the game that you play and its community.
Old 09-06-2005, 08:14 AM
Criminal X
PrinceDark will become famous soon enough
What causes me to play some servers and not others? Hmmm.
When I did play actively there was a lot of factors.

When I was highly into sparring I played Unholy Nation and N-Pulse because there was a large amount of good sparrers there and no lag. Classic had lots of sparrers but the lag was unbearable.

PKing on any classic server before the NPCserver came in was absolutely awesome. On classic by the Angel Clan house and on N-Pulse in level3 was the funnest days of pking ever for me.

After the NPCserver came out and I started getting into development more heavily a lot of it came down to staff involvement. Its fun to work as staff around cool, good developers and learn things, but it sucks when you work around a bunch of *******s and powermongers that throw fits monthly and fire the best staff for fear of takeover or just because they want to eliminate someone.

As for the servers itself, ...

Delteria I tried to play, but for a long time the staff there only massed racist bull****. I'm talking about the era when Tangy, Zega, and them was there (2002-2003?). I'm not saying tangy and zega did that, but most other staff did it.

SL became a lag hell for me, but I did like their storyline. It took too long for them to get it back working. So I just totally forgot about it as time passed on.

Valikorlia turned me off because I got sick of staff pming me to tell me to put -OOC- in my name or I'll be banned.

Era was cool at first when Chrisz and Angel was there, but then it got too advanced for me and the lag was too much for me to deal with.

Zenkou is something I am seriously looking forward to for many reasons. I want to experience the turnbased system on graal and try to exploit as many bugs as possible and beat the crap out of everyone. I've grown to love turnbased games over the past couple years and I just can't wait!!!

I liked Maloria back when it had that old cartoony tileset and all those nice jobs, light effects, nicely designed towns and stuff. Now it just isn't the same anymore so bleh hell with it. I'll never play there again with the new crap they have.

The kind of change has a lot to do with why I still or don't play a server. Some servers have changed into something I don't like, while others have slowly changed and kept my interest.

A super complex server will turn me off if there is no information given to start me off and lead me in the right direction.
Old 09-06-2005, 09:03 AM
VERACITY CORRUPTION!!
MKxTortoise is an unknown quantity at this point
The best server will always be the one with the most efficient staff team.

Ironic how I play Delteria, but hey
Old 09-06-2005, 09:17 AM
PipBoy Extraordinaire!
Rick is on a distinguished road
Remove display of current playercount and sort by name.
Old 09-06-2005, 10:19 AM
gwtfc***mattrs/gpsof
Splke is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Splke Send a message via Yahoo to Splke
I personally hate UN. I personally hate Era. I personally dislike servers where people are rude / mean to you because you have low hours, or suck at sparring kids on 12k modems who lag around you like crazy monkey ****ers.

Honestly, I dislike high playercount servers because of the "Legends", and the community born of those "Legends". Graal's community isn't one of friendly design, it's one giving players the opportunity to rape you sideways, and then spit on you afterwhich.

I'm better off playing Zone, where people don't really talk. You just pick up a gun and pwn something. No "hey that was *** you ****ing ***got pos hacker im going ot get staff 2 ban u cos i know the owner of tis server". Just more like "wow way to go ***gy appricer", or something to that extent.

Summary? Graal's community is full of idiots and jackasses who enjoy making your life hell. New fresh servers are great, but the older servers are unnatractive due to this "Legend" status.
Quote:
Originally Posted by haunter
No, that would look stupid, shut your stupid face, stupid.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nappa
In the words of the great Argosax

WOOHOO BOOBIES
Old 09-06-2005, 03:11 PM
shutup ctrl+s
syltburk is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via ICQ to syltburk Send a message via AIM to syltburk Send a message via Yahoo to syltburk
Graal Classic people will always be the best, they are totally different from the others...
Old 09-06-2005, 03:31 PM
bef is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to bef Send a message via MSN to bef
Quote:
Originally Posted by syltburk
Graal Classic people will always be the best, they are totally different from the others...
So what you're saying is that it's the quality, not the quantity of the players which seperates a good server from a bad server? Intellegent comment, though surely the quality of content matters too! I'm not saying classic isn't quality, infact my opinion is that Classic is one of the best servers going and always has been.

I'd just like to see more depth of thought from Graalians, think about why you like your server and if you realise you don't like it, and you're playing for the players, find a better server and put your buddies from the other server on an instant messenger or try to influence them to make the change too!
Old 09-06-2005, 04:34 PM
gwtfc***mattrs/gpsof
Splke is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Splke Send a message via Yahoo to Splke
Classic has been dropped like a 20 pound bag of potato's. No new content, people just like to say it's good because they have alot of memories on it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by haunter
No, that would look stupid, shut your stupid face, stupid.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nappa
In the words of the great Argosax

WOOHOO BOOBIES
Old 09-06-2005, 09:12 PM
Era Developer
Bl0nkt will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to Bl0nkt
Hard work. This is definetely the main essential ingredient in playerworlds. I'm sick of seeing things like UN adding something that surely took them 10 minutes to make, and create a whole fiasco about how good it is. Then, based on UN's popularity, it gains 30 more players from this stupid thing.

Things that keep a server different and constantly entertaining are very good aspects. I know I talk about Zenkou way too much, but I could proudly say I have a right to. Zenkou, without a doubt, will be a #1 hit on the server list until UN kills it off with its rapid multiplication in players. I'm just hoping it doesn't turn up this way.

Wow, I slowly drifted off topic.
Old 09-06-2005, 11:16 PM
Using account: Meph
diagram is on a distinguished road
Active Staff is definitely a factor of a successful playerworld.

My ratings:

Era
Despite the current state(or lack of one), Era has always been my ideal server.
I played it when it was private and haven't left it.
Since I played Era, guns are all I look for on any server.

Unholy Nation
The only aspects of UN that have ever interested me would be the 'ETBrawl' Event-- LMS with Sword Beams brings out the Era in UN.

Zenkou
Great graphics. Zenkou looks like it has something comming for it. Unfortunately, there's absolutely nothing to do on Zenkou at this moment.

Maloria
I find this server boring. There's nothing to do other than level up. I'm currently IP banned for exploiting glitches.

Valikoria
I dislike RPing servers.
Val hasn't been decent since the server wipe about 3 years ago.

New forum account: Meph
Old 09-06-2005, 11:16 PM
Registered Punmaster
Sulukra is on a distinguished road
Classic was a good server. It still is, no doubt, but just not as good anymore. Classic is where I started playing. Maloria was good too, but then it became like alot of other MMORPGs. Delteria is pretty good. Still is. Valikorlia has its playercount because its the only server that focuses only on RPing. Kingdoms does have RPing, but its more of an optional thing, where on Valikorlia theres nothing to do but RP. The reason Valikorlia's playercount has dropped a bit in awhile is because they pretty much got rid of people having gani weapons. But for me right now, I just like working on a Dev server. Its just fun and appeals to my intrests.
Old 09-07-2005, 12:19 AM
Master Tux
WanDaMan is a jewel in the roughWanDaMan is a jewel in the rough
Send a message via MSN to WanDaMan
The community within' the server.

The gameplay wouldn't make you play any server currently on the playlist.
Old 09-07-2005, 12:28 AM
Administrator
Darlene159 has much to be proud ofDarlene159 has much to be proud ofDarlene159 has much to be proud ofDarlene159 has much to be proud ofDarlene159 has much to be proud ofDarlene159 has much to be proud of
The Community, and good, friendly, helpful staff that do their jobs is what keeps me playing a PW.
I don't care what it has on it, if the players and staff treat each other like crap, I don't want to play it...
INFO ABOUT INFRACTIONS.
HOW TO APPLY FOR THE NON-GRAAL RELATED FORUM (<<READ THOROUGHLY!)

SUPPORT: http://support.toonslab.com

NOTE: YOU ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR YOUR OWN POSTS.
READ>THINK>POST
Old 09-07-2005, 02:12 AM
zenkou
haro41 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to haro41
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrinceDark
Zenkou is something I am seriously looking forward to for many reasons. I want to experience the turnbased system on graal and try to exploit as many bugs as possible and beat the crap out of everyone.

i have no problem with you exploiting bugs, just make sure you let us know about them!

Zenkou for life