Graal Forums  

Go Back   Graal Forums > General Forums > Graal Main Forum (English)
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 01-13-2006, 04:52 PM
Graal Administration
Admins has much to be proud ofAdmins has much to be proud ofAdmins has much to be proud ofAdmins has much to be proud ofAdmins has much to be proud ofAdmins has much to be proud of
I have seen filters on Atlantis and Era.
We also think about adding a filter in the client which can be enabled by the player or parents
Old 01-13-2006, 04:57 PM
Okiesmokie
ApothiX is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan
We also think about adding a filter in the client which can be enabled by the player or parents
Now that is an excellent idea. One thing about that though, would it also filter out showtext() text? (Some playerworlds have a custom message system that uses this.)

[06:24:19] * Parts: Skyld (i=silent@unaffiliated/skyld) ("Perhaps Okiesmokie did not realise that I like the boys. ")
Old 01-13-2006, 05:21 PM
http://wiki.graal.us/
adam has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to adam
A clever script could easily filter many words, and many common ways to cheat less advanced filters. And could even be used to red flag people for saying things that are commonly used with in-appropriate speech.

I went on classic, and it took me 20 minutes talking to a GP before I could find out that there actually are rules against all the things I saw within 5 minutes of getting there. I know that most of those things can be taken care of with scripts and filters.

I agree, that it should be mandatory. As you can see by the first couple replies to this, It's very accepted and expected already, It's a bad sign.

For development help, contact the patrons of the #graaldt irc channel below, I am usually there.
Click Here to Join IRC Chat Now! -- irc.freenode.net Channel: #graaldt
Quote:
<Dustyshouri> no, RogueShadow is always talking about scripts lol
<Dustyshouri> in fact, he pretty much brought Graal back as a topic single-handedly
Old 01-13-2006, 05:40 PM
:pluffy:
Crono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond repute
I don't like this idea of mandatory censorship. As long as our cursing isn't directed towards a player it should be allowed.

For example this should never be allowed:

"**** you, you ass sucking 5 dollar *****"

this should be allowed if not overused:

but "****, that was a long ass car ride"
Old 01-13-2006, 06:34 PM
Administrator
Darlene159 has much to be proud ofDarlene159 has much to be proud ofDarlene159 has much to be proud ofDarlene159 has much to be proud ofDarlene159 has much to be proud ofDarlene159 has much to be proud of
Quote:
That is an excellent idea

Quote:
Graal is for the most part, about the community. Preventing people from saying what they feel will disrupt the community, in my opinion. It is like real life, if you don't like what someone is saying, walk away. If they follow you, you report it as harassment to the authorities. If they don't look into it, you report the neglegence to a Playerworld Administrator.
You know, some parents, and even players would not accept this, resulting in loss of business.
Not to mention, alot of times when I report something I get "Just ignore them", even when the person is following me around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam
As you can see by the first couple replies to this, It's very accepted and expected already, It's a bad sign.
I agree, sadly it is the same way in real life....

To Geremi: Freedom of speech should only be allowed up to a certain point.
Just like in real life, there are conseguences for everything that you do/say.
You can pretty much do/say whatever you want, but you better be able to handle the consequences for your actions afterwards....
INFO ABOUT INFRACTIONS.
HOW TO APPLY FOR THE NON-GRAAL RELATED FORUM (<<READ THOROUGHLY!)

SUPPORT: http://support.toonslab.com

NOTE: YOU ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR YOUR OWN POSTS.
READ>THINK>POST
Old 01-13-2006, 06:48 PM
Unholy Nation
Malinko is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Malinko
Well, I guess GraalOnline filters cursing to keep it "safe" for all users, old or young.

Of course, I think there's some sort of limit. I notice some people on playerworlds get jailed for, "You fu**ing idiot." (Well, warned for first then jailed after a while), but others don't get jailed for, "What the fu**?! That's so intense."

I guess context matters to some people.
Old 01-13-2006, 07:55 PM
7 Words
Inspiration is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Inspiration
The more we censor "bad words", the more we say they are wrong, fight them, and admonish their use, the more power we give them. Why can't people understand that?

Words are meaningless, it is the intent in which they are spoken with that gives them meaning.

Unless you can filter out a persons intent, someone can be just as offensive, mean, and cruel with "bad words" as without them.

Someone intelligent could insult and demean you way worse, without using a single curse word, than a 12 year old that says "i ****ed ur mom u ***git".

1. Annoy everybody on an existing project by submitting or proposing changes that they don't want
2. Formally declare all existing projects to be complete crap
3. Talk at great length about the deficiencies of other projects
4. Get drunk
5. ???
6. Profit
Old 01-13-2006, 08:43 PM
Banned
Yen is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Yen Send a message via MSN to Yen
:[ Moonie doesn't like cussing. She wanted to fire me for saying 'How the **** can you not get this?' to some idjit who didn't understand the difference between events and conditions...

After I had spent 2 1/2 hours explaining and giving examples, over and over.
Old 01-13-2006, 09:41 PM
Master Tux
WanDaMan is a jewel in the roughWanDaMan is a jewel in the rough
Send a message via MSN to WanDaMan
After actually reading the thread I decided to edit my post.

If a filter was going to be added, then there should be an option to use it or not. Shouting obscenities makes the game more fun.

Last edited by WanDaMan; 01-13-2006 at 09:52 PM..
Old 01-13-2006, 10:07 PM
Graal2001 Administration
contiga is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via ICQ to contiga Send a message via AIM to contiga Send a message via MSN to contiga Send a message via Yahoo to contiga
Quote:
Lol! Most people that play Graal have parent's that don't realy care about what their doing, since their on all day, why would they disable cursing for their 13+ year old son/daughter xD
Quote:
Originally Posted by unixmad View Post
I am also awake 3AM to help correct problems.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bomy Island RC people
Daniel: HoudiniMan is a bad guy =p
*Bell: rofl. I first read that as houdini is a bad man. like the little kid that wants his mommy to keep her away from that boogie man
Daniel: xD
*Rufus: I wouldn't want my kids around him.
Old 01-13-2006, 10:08 PM
Banned
Yen is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Yen Send a message via MSN to Yen
Oh yeah, forgot to mention..

I think the built in cuss filter should be optional. Personally, I prefer to know which obscenities are being hurled at me.
You wouldn't believe how much you can surmise about someone's intelligence from their insults.
If you receive a list of randomly placed cuss-words, it's safe to assume the person is a retard.
On the other hand, if they throw a string of well placed cusses at you, you can assume the opposite.
Old 01-13-2006, 10:26 PM
Okiesmokie
ApothiX is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darlene159
Not to mention, alot of times when I report something I get "Just ignore them", even when the person is following me around.
Then perhaps you should read my entire post before replying. If you did, you would have noticed I made a comment about what to do if the person is following you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by contiga
Lol! Most people that play Graal have parent's that don't realy care about what their doing, since their on all day, why would they disable cursing for their 13+ year old son/daughter xD
I have come to believe that you haven't even read the thread at all. If no one cared, then this thread would never have been made. "Think->Post"

[06:24:19] * Parts: Skyld (i=silent@unaffiliated/skyld) ("Perhaps Okiesmokie did not realise that I like the boys. ")
Old 01-13-2006, 10:40 PM
oh snaps
napo_p2p has a spectacular aura aboutnapo_p2p has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to napo_p2p Send a message via MSN to napo_p2p
I thought that there was a built-in wordfilter that playerworlds can choose to implement? It even filters PMs I believe.
Tempus neminem non manet.
Noli manere tempus.
Carpe Diem

Seize the Day.
Old 01-13-2006, 11:49 PM
Headache Medicine
Flares is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Flares
Cursing used to be heavily enforced on UN say one and a half to two years ago. We even at one point used to have a filter system that would send to RC every explicit word sent through chat.

UN nowadays though is not enforced anywhere near as heavily as it was. In short, we grew out of it, and learned to allow it if it does not get out of hand.
Old 01-14-2006, 12:08 AM
Administrator
Darlene159 has much to be proud ofDarlene159 has much to be proud ofDarlene159 has much to be proud ofDarlene159 has much to be proud ofDarlene159 has much to be proud ofDarlene159 has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApothiX
Then perhaps you should read my entire post before replying. If you did, you would have noticed I made a comment about what to do if the person is following you.
uh, I basically said:
1) Get harrassed
2) Move to another area to get away from harrassment
3) Person follows and continues harrassing
3) Report to staff
4) Gets told "Just ignore him/her", and recieves no punishment for continuing the behavior
5) Cycle continues until person gets bored and quits

The point is, alot of staff ignore the behavior, and it's kinda sad to have to run and get a global for things staff should be taking care of.

I agree with their being a filter that is optional on client for parents or players to use...at least if a person does not wish to see the garbage that spews out of these young kids mouths (or fingers), they will have that option.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yen
:[ Moonie doesn't like cussing. She wanted to fire me for saying 'How the **** can you not get this?' to some idjit who didn't understand the difference between events and conditions...

After I had spent 2 1/2 hours explaining and giving examples, over and over.
Paying attention would benefit you....that was not the sole reason I was upset, it had alot to do with the way you treat people, but I really don't wish to get into that discussion here.
INFO ABOUT INFRACTIONS.
HOW TO APPLY FOR THE NON-GRAAL RELATED FORUM (<<READ THOROUGHLY!)

SUPPORT: http://support.toonslab.com

NOTE: YOU ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR YOUR OWN POSTS.
READ>THINK>POST