Graal Forums  

Go Back   Graal Forums > General Forums > Graal Main Forum (English)
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 01-13-2006, 09:27 AM
http://wiki.graal.us/
adam has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to adam
Graal & Cursing & all such other perverted things.

It's all over in graal, on pretty much every server.

Profanity, and Sexual conduct that is just completely perverted and un-called for.

I can script, I know we can block it out, censor it, report it, and altogether, stop 90% of it in one shot if we tried.

Is it so un-important to the games creators that they don't require it at all?

I mean, how much credibility do you lose right there.

#1 arrive on a playerworld
#2 get cussed at
#3 get "raped"
#4 the GP says he didn't see it. or can't be everywhere at once.

This 'can' be prevented. Why hasn't it been?

For development help, contact the patrons of the #graaldt irc channel below, I am usually there.
Click Here to Join IRC Chat Now! -- irc.freenode.net Channel: #graaldt
Quote:
<Dustyshouri> no, RogueShadow is always talking about scripts lol
<Dustyshouri> in fact, he pretty much brought Graal back as a topic single-handedly
Old 01-13-2006, 09:50 AM
PipBoy Extraordinaire!
Rick is on a distinguished road
It's very difficult to prevent such behavior.
Old 01-13-2006, 10:22 AM
:pluffy:
Crono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond repute
It's -stupid- to prevent such behavior. Seriously, nobody likes to be censored and by doing this people will not play. So what if someone gets pk and the pker uses the pull ani on the "dead body"? No one really cares too much.

Cursing is the most retarded thing to block out. I don't see -why- we can't say ****, ****, etc. Hell Graal 2001 itself had the npc bomies saying something along the lines of "THEY EVEN EAT AND ****" so why can't we?
Old 01-13-2006, 10:48 AM
xAndrewx has much to be proud ofxAndrewx has much to be proud ofxAndrewx has much to be proud ofxAndrewx has much to be proud ofxAndrewx has much to be proud ofxAndrewx has much to be proud ofxAndrewx has much to be proud of
It's bad I agree, but you're taking graal too far if you're finding this a serious problem.
Old 01-13-2006, 10:53 AM
Petrification of a Newbie
Darklux is a jewel in the roughDarklux is a jewel in the rough
Send a message via ICQ to Darklux Send a message via AIM to Darklux Send a message via Yahoo to Darklux
Most players are young and dont really care for that.

See the osbournes on tv: he says "f*ck" as every 2nd word.
Why should they think cussing is bad?
Old 01-13-2006, 03:29 PM
Graal Administration
Admins has much to be proud ofAdmins has much to be proud ofAdmins has much to be proud ofAdmins has much to be proud ofAdmins has much to be proud ofAdmins has much to be proud of
Most servers use word filters, maybe contact the staff if you see something bad which is not filtered ?
Old 01-13-2006, 03:33 PM
The World's Local Fighter
icemaster is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to icemaster Send a message via MSN to icemaster Send a message via Yahoo to icemaster
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan
Most servers use word filters, maybe contact the staff if you see something bad which is not filtered ?
lots of stuff arent filtered lol, and many people find away around filter anyway

filtering wont stop it, i guarantee it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerami
Seriously, nobody likes to be censored and by doing this people will not play.
hes completely right (his whole post is right, but i didnt feel like having a huge post so i took the important line outta his post)
Old 01-13-2006, 03:49 PM
Administrator
Darlene159 has much to be proud ofDarlene159 has much to be proud ofDarlene159 has much to be proud ofDarlene159 has much to be proud ofDarlene159 has much to be proud ofDarlene159 has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan
Using a filter should be mandatory on the PW's.
I have not seen where most use it, and the no cursing/sexual conduct rule is not inforced as it should be, probably because it takes up alot of time beings a large majority of Graal members curse, and because staff on these servers are children/young adults who curse themselves (I don't mean all staff, but a large percent of them)
I agree with adam, it has gotten really bad, and is one of the reasons I quit as Manager of NP

Can't there be a built in filter, giving the pw's no choice but to use it?
INFO ABOUT INFRACTIONS.
HOW TO APPLY FOR THE NON-GRAAL RELATED FORUM (<<READ THOROUGHLY!)

SUPPORT: http://support.toonslab.com

NOTE: YOU ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR YOUR OWN POSTS.
READ>THINK>POST
Old 01-13-2006, 04:01 PM
Petrification of a Newbie
Darklux is a jewel in the roughDarklux is a jewel in the rough
Send a message via ICQ to Darklux Send a message via AIM to Darklux Send a message via Yahoo to Darklux
Filtering doesnt help.

The younger players just change a letter or write it in leet, and there is no possibility to censore all these words.

You need to change their attitude towards flamin', censoring helps nothing.
Old 01-13-2006, 04:05 PM
xAndrewx has much to be proud ofxAndrewx has much to be proud ofxAndrewx has much to be proud ofxAndrewx has much to be proud ofxAndrewx has much to be proud ofxAndrewx has much to be proud ofxAndrewx has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darlene159
I have not seen where most use it, and the no cursing/sexual conduct rule is not inforced as it should be, probably because it takes up alot of time beings a large majority of Graal members curse, and because staff on these servers are children/young adults who curse themselves (I don't mean all staff, but a large percent of them)
I agree with adam, it has gotten really bad, and is one of the reasons I quit as Manager of NP

If that's why you quit, why didn't you fire the staff who tend to curse?
Old 01-13-2006, 04:13 PM
Okiesmokie
ApothiX is on a distinguished road
Quote:

Because you know, that's exactly what we need. A glitchy filter that sometimes filters out legitimate words just because it has 'ass' or '****' within the word itself.

Servers do not need mandatory word filters, what they need is the GPs to do their jobs. GPs only purpose is to maintain 'law and order', if cussing/harassment is that much of a problem the GPs should investigate instead of shrugging it off.

[06:24:19] * Parts: Skyld (i=silent@unaffiliated/skyld) ("Perhaps Okiesmokie did not realise that I like the boys. ")
Old 01-13-2006, 04:26 PM
Administrator
Darlene159 has much to be proud ofDarlene159 has much to be proud ofDarlene159 has much to be proud ofDarlene159 has much to be proud ofDarlene159 has much to be proud ofDarlene159 has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darklux
Filtering doesnt help.

The younger players just change a letter or write it in leet, and there is no possibility to censore all these words.

You need to change their attitude towards flamin', censoring helps nothing.
Censoring does help, but the rule needs to be inforced also to stop people from evading the filter.
Quote:
Originally Posted by xAndrewx
If that's why you quit, why didn't you fire the staff who tend to curse?
It was not the only reason I quit, and I didn't quit because staff was doing it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApothiX
Because you know, that's exactly what we need. A glitchy filter that sometimes filters out legitimate words just because it has 'ass' or '****' within the word itself.

Servers do not need mandatory word filters, what they need is the GPs to do their jobs. GPs only purpose is to maintain 'law and order', if cussing/harassment is that much of a problem the GPs should investigate instead of shrugging it off.
I think filtering out a few legitament words is a small price to pay for using a filter, I have never had a problem with filters that are being used on PW's

I also did say that the staff needed to inforce it, instead of ignoring it.
INFO ABOUT INFRACTIONS.

READ>THINK>POST
Old 01-13-2006, 04:31 PM
Okiesmokie
Quote:
I think filtering out a few legitament words is a small price to pay for using a filter, I have never had a problem with filters that are being used on PW's
What exactly does filtering help? People who are offended by the cussing will know what they are saying anyway.

Quote:
Person One: "you are such an ***"
Person Two: "OMG NOW I SEE THREE STARS INSTEAD OF THE WORD I ALREADY KNOW IT IS: 'ass'"
Quote:
I also did say that the staff needed to inforce it, instead of ignoring it.
You were giving reasons as to why staff were not inforcing the rule, which lead me to believe you are for that.

[06:24:19] * Parts: Skyld (i=silent@unaffiliated/skyld) ("Perhaps Okiesmokie did not realise that I like the boys. ")
Old 01-13-2006, 04:42 PM
Administrator
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApothiX
What exactly does filtering help? People who are offended by the cussing will know what they are saying anyway.
Doesn't matter, you cannot see the word, at the very least it is more professional for a game that people pay for.

Quote:
You were giving reasons as to why staff were not inforcing the rule, which lead me to believe you are for that.
I also said it was not inforced as it should be, making the game less enjoyable for those of us that do not wish to be cursed at, sexually harrassed, and so on...
The reasons that I gave were just my opinion as to why the rule may not be being inforced as it should be.
INFO ABOUT INFRACTIONS.

READ>THINK>POST
Old 01-13-2006, 04:51 PM
Okiesmokie
Quote:
Doesn't matter, you cannot see the word, at the very least it is more professional for a game that people pay for.
Graal is for the most part, about the community. Preventing people from saying what they feel will disrupt the community, in my opinion. It is like real life, if you don't like what someone is saying, walk away. If they follow you, you report it as harassment to the authorities. If they don't look into it, you report the neglegence to a Playerworld Administrator.