Graal Forums  

Go Back   Graal Forums > Development Forums > Future Improvements
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 08-13-2008, 01:41 AM
z0rbi 4 life 🤘
kia345 has a reputation beyond reputekia345 has a reputation beyond reputekia345 has a reputation beyond reputekia345 has a reputation beyond reputekia345 has a reputation beyond reputekia345 has a reputation beyond reputekia345 has a reputation beyond reputekia345 has a reputation beyond reputekia345 has a reputation beyond reputekia345 has a reputation beyond reputekia345 has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrakilorP2P View Post
Lag? Just use the money to upgrade the server machines.
The money goes to personal things first.

Like bread
Old 08-13-2008, 01:49 AM
DrakilorP2P is just really niceDrakilorP2P is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crono View Post
If the number of UC servers were drastically reduced I could see more developers, let alone quality ones, having to work together. I would guess this increases the chances of a quality playerworld being released. With a quality (and I mean really really really good quality) playerworld you can attract more players and have a bigger playerbase...which would mean more accounts being upgraded.
I actually doubt that servers like Dev GULTHEX are sapping the supply of quality developers to any marginal extent.
Old 08-13-2008, 02:27 AM
:pluffy:
Crono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrakilorP2P View Post
I actually doubt that servers like Dev GULTHEX are sapping the supply of quality developers to any marginal extent.
No, servers like Dev GULTHEX probably don't. But I speak from what I've seen both ingame and from these forums.
Old 08-13-2008, 02:29 AM
Administrator
Darlene159 has much to be proud ofDarlene159 has much to be proud ofDarlene159 has much to be proud ofDarlene159 has much to be proud ofDarlene159 has much to be proud ofDarlene159 has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by kia345 View Post
The money goes to personal things first.

Like bread
You know, that is really getting old, and is insulting

I think good developers either are doing their own playerworlds, or work on good projects. I dont see a reason for applications for playerworlds.
If an idea is good, then it might peek the interest of good developers.
That's how I see it, anyway...
INFO ABOUT INFRACTIONS.
HOW TO APPLY FOR THE NON-GRAAL RELATED FORUM (<<READ THOROUGHLY!)

SUPPORT: http://support.toonslab.com

NOTE: YOU ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR YOUR OWN POSTS.
READ>THINK>POST
Old 08-13-2008, 02:50 AM
Exhausted is infamous around these parts
The real pro to applications is that less servers = devs gathered.
There are plently of competent devs on Classic servers that appear to work together fine enough to keep the sever running, so I don't quite see it written on the walls that it will result in destructive (to the staff roster and the server) drama frequently.

You're going to have mature and immature staff wherever you go ;p

Anyways, Dusty pretty much hit the nail on the head, but it seems as though many believe Graal isn't worth it's current prices anymore, and when you inflate the prices, you should inflate the quality of the game to make people WANT to pay for it, which is why controlling the quality of the servers could be worth a shot.

I'm not necesscarily saying yes or no to it, myself, but sometimes a business may need to take risks to survive ;o
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nataxo View Post
you're so evil, graal doesnt need persons like you, you should get global ban
Old 08-13-2008, 03:24 AM
z0rbi 4 life 🤘
kia345 has a reputation beyond reputekia345 has a reputation beyond reputekia345 has a reputation beyond reputekia345 has a reputation beyond reputekia345 has a reputation beyond reputekia345 has a reputation beyond reputekia345 has a reputation beyond reputekia345 has a reputation beyond reputekia345 has a reputation beyond reputekia345 has a reputation beyond reputekia345 has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darlene159 View Post
You know, that is really getting old, and is insulting
I asked a nice question, and my response was, in short, "Shut up, you're paying for my food". He could've at least been polite and explained he wasn't in the best of financial positions, or just ignored me, or made a witty comeback.
Old 08-13-2008, 03:31 AM
ǝɔɐɹq ʎןɹnɔ
Crow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhausted View Post
How many people new to Graal are going to be confident enough to start a server?
People might have to, or work on some other server, in the future, since Stefan doesn't want to develop/improve offline tools.
Old 08-13-2008, 06:13 AM
Yeah, it's ridiculous.
Players develop his game, he should at least develop/update our tools z.z
Quote:
Old 08-13-2008, 08:02 AM
Collige, virgo, rosas
RosesLove will become famous soon enough
I don't think it's a good idea just because it would take away too much money from the game. Stefan makes the majority of his income from playerworlds, not player accounts. Or atleast half.. ;x

The reason most people like graal is because it's developed and run by the players, for the most part it is anyway. Taking the ability to make your own playerworld away, no matter how crappy, would take away from it's spark imo.

Some players might not be as talented or creative, but it takes time to learn. There really is no other way to learn to script other than buying a server so unless Stefan plans on making a gs2 editor, that would actually slim down the number of new developers aswell.

Maybe the PWAs could give server stars to rate how good they are based on content already developed and the future plans that they have for the server. Aswell as maybe telling what they already have done. Obviously, there are way too many playerworlds to get to them all, and some (the bad) servers might not agree to it. But at the owner's request they could inspect the server every, say 6 months.

It would help developers choose which servers to work for so they aren't just wasting their time with some dead end project and could instead work on a well thought out one with other good developers.

Though I guess it shouldn't be that hard for you to figure out if it's going to be a waste of time or not for yourself.
Old 08-13-2008, 08:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RosesLove View Post
The reason most people like graal is because it's developed and run by the players, for the most part it is anyway. Taking the ability to make your own playerworld away, no matter how crappy, would take away from it's spark imo.
I don't think most people on Graal develop servers, but a lot do, yeah. Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't Graal's most appealing features it's community and .. well.. used to be when you could pay just 26 dollars and play for life...

Quote:
Some players might not be as talented or creative, but it takes time to learn. There really is no other way to learn to script other than buying a server so unless Stefan plans on making a gs2 editor, that would actually slim down the number of new developers aswell.
You can learn to script with the GS1 features in the level editor. I was talking about scripting with a friend once, and he said that a lot of GS1 scripters just learned to convert from GS1 to GS2, so perhaps they could start out with GS1, then learn how GS2 works. I think Twinny has a good guide on GS2.

Quote:
Maybe the PWAs could give server stars to rate how good they are based on content already developed and the future plans that they have for the server. Aswell as maybe telling what they already have done. Obviously, there are way too many playerworlds to get to them all, and some (the bad) servers might not agree to it. But at the owner's request they could inspect the server every, say 6 months.
I don't know, I personally like how UC servers can gain global attention through the login screen. That's a good way to tell which servers are up and coming (for a UC server, that is).

Quote:
It would help developers choose which servers to work for so they aren't just wasting their time with some dead end project and could instead work on a well thought out one with other good developers.
Yeah.
Quote:
Old 08-13-2008, 08:59 AM
Banned
excaliber7388 can only hope to improve
Send a message via AIM to excaliber7388
I believe I've seen this discussion before, I just can't remember the thread.
Anyway, I think if they're willing to pay for it, they should be allowed to have one. People could want it for practice, fun, or just to have a place to call their own.
Old 08-13-2008, 09:03 AM
Collige, virgo, rosas
RosesLove will become famous soon enough
Quote:
I don't think most people on Graal develop servers, but a lot do, yeah. Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't Graal's most appealing features it's community and .. well.. used to be when you could pay just 26 dollars and play for life...
I think most know how to atleast do something. Either LAT, GAT, or NAT. Maybe they don't do it on a staff team, but they make their own things and get them uploaded to the server. I wasn't referring to just developing when I said that's the reason they play. It's the way everything is playerbased. Being able to be a PR staff even if you can't develope, being able to upload your own houses, heads, etc.. Most people who have played for a while have been staff before, and most people who just starting playing look up to and want to be those staff. There's over 100 servers, so a pretty big portion of people do make their own server if you compare that to how many people actually play.

Quote:
You can learn to script with the GS1 features in the level editor. I was talking about scripting with a friend once, and he said that a lot of GS1 scripters just learned to convert from GS1 to GS2, so perhaps they could start out with GS1, then learn how GS2 works. I think Twinny has a good guide on GS2.
Don't most people want to hire staff who script in gs2, not gs1? It seems pretty pointless to have to learn gs1 in order to be able to learn gs2 anyway.

Quote:
I don't know, I personally like how UC servers can gain global attention through the login screen. That's a good way to tell which servers are up and coming (for a UC server, that is).

Yeah, but it would be nice to be able to see them all instead of waiting for a new update. There are other servers worth working on other than just those.

Quote:
Yeah.
YEAH!
Old 08-13-2008, 10:26 AM
Incubator
Inverness is a jewel in the roughInverness is a jewel in the rough
GS2 is more similar to C#, C++, or Java than GS1.
Old 08-13-2008, 11:25 AM
DrakilorP2P is just really niceDrakilorP2P is just really nice
Quote:
No! GS1 corrupts your mind! Once there was this guy who learned GS1. When he tried to learn about other languages, he went insane. There was also another one, a professional programmer, his head literally exploded just looking at GS1.
Old 08-13-2008, 11:43 PM
Wow, this must have been planned out by Stefan and Unix!

"Let's create a crappy GS1 scripting language and let it become the primary scripting language for awhile.. then we'll unleash GS2 and watch the insanity begin.."
Quote: