Graal Forums  

Go Back   Graal Forums > Development Forums > Future Improvements
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 01-18-2011, 10:56 PM
Extrinsical Anomaly
Fulg0reSama has a brilliant futureFulg0reSama has a brilliant futureFulg0reSama has a brilliant futureFulg0reSama has a brilliant futureFulg0reSama has a brilliant futureFulg0reSama has a brilliant futureFulg0reSama has a brilliant futureFulg0reSama has a brilliant future
Break the Chain - Less RPG Servers

I've had small time but I feel enough time to think about this and I have to say..

WHAT IS WITH ALL THE RPG SERVERS?

We have ourselves a game platform with what we can make as far as our imaginations and minds can go, Are we really only capable of RPGs?

I had small brainstorming and I came up with an idea or two.

Real Time Strategy Graal: (AoE 2 joke) Age of Graal: Age of Noobs, Expansion: Age of Graal: Age of Lamers

Visual Demonstration of what I see for this (Prepare for cool looking stuff also very crude looking stuff):

Explaination for my abominable GFX: The sword would be some sort of iconic cursor (Just for kicks I was bored) though the small arrow and circle bit would be for directing your men.

Units I thought of to show:
Monks, Archers, Soldiers and a Hero/Paladin King like guy (Definitely changeable if desired).

Church building like castle place, Just to say that we could also have buildings created to have settlement. Players could design their very own villages through villagers and things (like in the game I mentioned for the joke and many other games like it) It would bring chaotic competition, It would make players think of much strategy. The only true thing I see to be extremely difficult would be the scripting and MASSIVE development work required to make this a plausible idea, But imagine this as a server and since it's kind of the new fad an iPhone game server!

This is simply an idea to bring a Real Time Strategy based server instead of the usual RPG drool. Roleplay is cool and all but on graal it's become rather bland, recycled and quite frankly lacking.

Feel free to talk more on this idea, or even construct and criticize upon it. Give good reason and arguement and perhaps even suggest ideas to go along with it.

Also could this be moved to the correct section of forums?

P.S: Used N-Pulse stuff like the grass, long bow for archers. Used Kain4lyfe's Tier 2 Paladin outfit (from a certain game I don't think darlene would like me mentioning on here.)

Careful, thoughts and opinions here scare people.
Old 01-18-2011, 11:04 PM
:pluffy:
Crono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond repute
do want, loved AOE:ROR
Old 01-18-2011, 11:17 PM
Extrinsical Anomaly
Fulg0reSama has a brilliant futureFulg0reSama has a brilliant futureFulg0reSama has a brilliant futureFulg0reSama has a brilliant futureFulg0reSama has a brilliant futureFulg0reSama has a brilliant futureFulg0reSama has a brilliant futureFulg0reSama has a brilliant future
A couple concerns to also answer.

1. Okay, a command and conquer server. How would you keep the balance in tact? Players would just farm all day long

Answer: The game would be very large, and it would be running all the time. People would constantly uprise against each others kingdoms, taking over their land day and night. I'd say If you completely lose your kingdom (lack of villagers + main building on your end) you would lose all your resources with it and have to restart from scratch with your "hero".

2. Okay, your hero is your main unit? If he dies doesn't it mean we cant continue on?

Answer: Not necessarily. I'd say there would be two stages to your hero. Before and After Fame stages. Before Fame would be when you have to build your main land. You would have to harvest your resources first and before fame heroes cannot be killed. Your hero would then proceed to pick what style of life he wishes to live (He could be any race or in this case any graal server perhaps?) and then once your main structure is up. He'd become after fame stage and you would then proceed to work yourself up with two villagers you start with (or maybe one a wife/husband as your worker? Im not sure which to pick) you would then work on from there.

3. Heroes are kind of powerful most of the time. How would you balance this?

Answer: Considering I based this idea mostly off of AoE, I believe It should work the way they made it to be. Heroes would be nothing more than special builders with small power boost over the units themselves that way they cannot determine who would reign.

Last edited by Fulg0reSama; 01-18-2011 at 11:35 PM..
Old 01-18-2011, 11:50 PM
Finger lickin' good.
salesman has much to be proud ofsalesman has much to be proud ofsalesman has much to be proud ofsalesman has much to be proud ofsalesman has much to be proud ofsalesman has much to be proud ofsalesman has much to be proud of
I tried to make a C&C-style server, but I was working alone, and it was just WAY too much work.

I was leaning toward 1v1 or 2v2 matches (players would challenge each other), which is kind of lame now that I look back.
Old 01-18-2011, 11:55 PM
Extrinsical Anomaly
Quote:
Originally Posted by salesman View Post
I tried to make a C&C-style server, but I was working alone, and it was just WAY too much work.

I was leaning toward 1v1 or 2v2 matches (players would challenge each other), which is kind of lame now that I look back.
I'm glad I'm not the first. I would love to see such a server come up. The good thing is I believe this would be more suited to the iPhone environment considering if you made probably what I would say by the LAAAAAAARGEST gmap imaginable for this game. You could very well easily have a profiting, fun server that would constantly play itself out. It would need heavy balance and testing. Moderation all over it definitely but It would be a fantastic server for all. That's the only true downside to my idea like yours. It has a major load of development work that would be required to even call it playable.

Old 01-19-2011, 12:10 AM
Somewhat rusty
Loriel is a name known to allLoriel is a name known to allLoriel is a name known to allLoriel is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fulg0reSama View Post
A couple concerns to also answer.

1. Okay, a command and conquer server. How would you keep the balance in tact? Players would just farm all day long
[...]

2. Okay, your hero is your main unit? If he dies doesn't it mean we cant continue on?
[...]

3. Heroes are kind of powerful most of the time. How would you balance this?
[...]
I'll start caring about any of these problems once you have a proof-of-concept engine going, with a usable UI, pathfinding/AI and stuff like that.

We started toying with the idea of an RTS interface back on GK when we wanted to have events staff control large amounts of monsters at players, but it never went anywhere. :v
Old 01-19-2011, 12:16 AM
Extrinsical Anomaly
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loriel View Post
I'll start caring about any of these problems once you have a proof-of-concept engine going, with a usable UI, pathfinding/AI and stuff like that.

We started toying with the idea of an RTS interface back on GK when we wanted to have events staff control large amounts of monsters at players, but it never went anywhere. :v
Oh ****... I just realized I made a problem. This isn't a server I'm making. I'm only suggesting that a server is made this way.

That's all nice Loriel but I don't understand your point other than controlling stuff is hard. Which is kind of obvious.

Old 01-19-2011, 12:19 AM
Somewhat rusty
Loriel is a name known to allLoriel is a name known to allLoriel is a name known to allLoriel is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fulg0reSama View Post
Oh ****... I just realized I made a problem. This isn't a server I'm making. I'm only suggesting that a server is made this way.

That's all nice Loriel but I don't understand your point other than controlling stuff is hard. Which is kind of obvious.
Yeah my point is basically that it is easy to come up with ideas for servers and everybody has dozens of them, actually coding it is the hard part and what lends ideas credence.
Old 01-19-2011, 12:40 AM
Extrinsical Anomaly
I would like to defend my idea on your argument point of "Coding is hard, your idea isn't worth the time It would take for this." but It's pointless on multiple levels to the point of just random spam. It's an offered idea with a very simplified form of how it would run, Don't even understand why you needed to state what you stated in the first place.

Old 01-19-2011, 01:41 AM
the KattMan
MattKan is a splendid one to beholdMattKan is a splendid one to beholdMattKan is a splendid one to beholdMattKan is a splendid one to beholdMattKan is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to MattKan
or do something like civilization if anyone has ever played it
On the other hand, free-to-play games, if unbalanced, could result in some consumers paying extremely large amounts of money, and we can certainly not expect to build a good relationship with our consumers in this fashion. In order to have a favorable long-term relationship, we would like to offer free-to-play games that are balanced and reasonable.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unximad
Eurocenter Games remains attached to the values of indies game developer and to the service our playerbase community.
Old 01-19-2011, 01:52 AM
Classic Developer
Cosss will become famous soon enough
If this was mobile-released, I could see a large amount of income for Graal and the developers. RTS games are cherished by iPhone gamers. ~25% of the top paid games (well used to be) RTS.
Old 01-19-2011, 03:12 AM
Tee Hee
smirt362 has a brilliant futuresmirt362 has a brilliant futuresmirt362 has a brilliant futuresmirt362 has a brilliant futuresmirt362 has a brilliant futuresmirt362 has a brilliant futuresmirt362 has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to smirt362 Send a message via MSN to smirt362
Maniaman and I were talking about one ages ago, we just never got it off the ground. Would be cool if someone pulled it off

Don Hertzfeldt <3
Old 01-19-2011, 03:37 AM
WEREDUCK
Knux will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by smirt362 View Post
Maniaman and I were talking about one ages ago, we just never got it off the ground. Would be cool if someone pulled it off
I think I remember Maniaman asking me if I'd be willing to make graphics for something like that.

Supporter of G2K1 revision. Even though it never will be what it was..
Old 01-21-2011, 05:06 AM
Classic Developer
Cosss will become famous soon enough
if I ever had some time I'd help do graphics, this sounds like a kick-ass idea to get Graal going somewhere. aoe is the **** btw
Old 01-21-2011, 05:08 AM
Extrinsical Anomaly
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosss View Post
aoe is the **** btw
I know right? AoE 2 was my canidate choice as inspiration because of the high balance it held.