Graal Forums  

Go Back   Graal Forums > Development Forums > Level Design
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 03-02-2013, 12:17 PM
Not the fruit.
Kiwi27 will become famous soon enough
Small Gmap | WIP

I plan to make it 2x2, at the moment I've only got two of them done.
http://i.imgur.com/ln5Ex9v.png

I know there's a error with the path at the top, I'll fix that. Not really sure about the building directly above that... The plain blue part of the roof just looks strange.

I'll update the thread and stuff.
Old 03-02-2013, 12:55 PM
Banned
scriptless is a splendid one to beholdscriptless is a splendid one to beholdscriptless is a splendid one to beholdscriptless is a splendid one to behold
Very nice work there. I really like the classic style.
Old 03-02-2013, 06:18 PM
callimuc is a splendid one to beholdcallimuc is a splendid one to beholdcallimuc is a splendid one to beholdcallimuc is a splendid one to beholdcallimuc is a splendid one to behold
its looking very cool. didnt really look for small tiling erros but i realized the following one you could easily fix

Click image for larger version

Name:	faidkjfadf.png
Views:	121
Size:	5.5 KB
ID:	55352

besides that there is no other error which you would realize that fast i think
Old 03-02-2013, 06:25 PM
G2k1
Kamaeru has much to be proud ofKamaeru has much to be proud ofKamaeru has much to be proud ofKamaeru has much to be proud ofKamaeru has much to be proud ofKamaeru has much to be proud of
Both examples there are improper. In fact the tileset was never completed to even do that correctly.
Technically, to fix that tile error you would need to put blocking tiles there. That's the way the tileset was used in ALTTP.
Old 03-02-2013, 06:29 PM
:pluffy:
Crono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond repute
need to slant the cliff down after it seperates if you wanna pull that one off. i like the town.
Old 03-02-2013, 06:34 PM
Will work for food. Maybe
DustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to DustyPorViva Send a message via MSN to DustyPorViva
Actually, LttP does it exactly like the OP:

It's a slightly altered tile though, to help it merge into the corner of the cliff, but it doesn't address the abrupt cut-off. Either way I tend to do it the way Callimuc does it because in my opinion that looks better than cutting off that tile.

Typically though, I recommend adding additional tiles via addtiledef2 or such to fix errors like this. Level makers should familiarize themselves with working with tile definitions, and if possible, editing tiles and creating fixes when possible. Pics1 is a horribly broken tileset, and it's even missing some important tiles... instead of sitting there trying to Frankenstein tiles to get something that "sort of works" you could have easily taken the tiles and edited them/fixed them into something much more appealing. It makes you a better level artist if you take these extra steps with your levels, and it makes you capable of more.
Old 03-02-2013, 06:55 PM
G2k1
Kamaeru has much to be proud ofKamaeru has much to be proud ofKamaeru has much to be proud ofKamaeru has much to be proud ofKamaeru has much to be proud ofKamaeru has much to be proud of
Yup. And Crono is also right.

There is a better way to do it with the Alttp tiles though, and those tiles are incomplete or just hard to use on pics1.
Old 03-02-2013, 07:17 PM
DustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond repute
Also, you should try to align your cliffs properly whenever possible:

Old 03-03-2013, 04:07 AM
Not the fruit.
Thanks guys. it seems like you all seem to agree on the cliffs - I'll work on them.
Old 03-03-2013, 04:10 AM
Graal Developer
Rave_J can only hope to improve
Send a message via AIM to Rave_J Send a message via MSN to Rave_J Send a message via Yahoo to Rave_J
overall looks nice i like how u kept the classic feel
Old 03-03-2013, 12:10 PM
Banned
Ducati_Link is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Ducati_Link
I really like it Kiwi, nice classic level.

Couple errors I see is the -
brown rug in the top left is missing it's corner tile
brown rug mid right could also use a corner tile.
i'd use tree top image (so it looks seamless) there the trees and the bottom of the fences meet.

Apart from the couple things others have noted.. there isn't really much wrong with it at all. Well done.

edit: just wanted to say that I love your chimney on that blue house! awesome idea.
Old 03-03-2013, 01:25 PM
Banned
scriptless is a splendid one to beholdscriptless is a splendid one to beholdscriptless is a splendid one to beholdscriptless is a splendid one to behold
This makes me really with gonstruct worked on my mac right now.. Very interesting posts.
Old 03-04-2013, 10:31 AM
Not the fruit.
http://i.imgur.com/tUCKwiV.png

Took all your suggestions into account (I think). I mostly touched things up this time, because I do have more important things to do :P. Also, a treetop NPC disappeared in the middle bottom, and I'm not sure why. But it's in the level.
Old 03-04-2013, 12:26 PM
Banned
Ducati_Link is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Ducati_Link
still no inner corners to the brown rugs.

But otherwise, looks good
Old 03-04-2013, 06:01 PM
I've only just learned this, but in pics1 to the left of the blue roosh are the inner-corner tiles for that brown carpet.