Graal Forums  

Go Back   Graal Forums > Development Forums > NPC Scripting
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 12-05-2008, 05:07 PM
Master of Puppets
xXziroXx has a brilliant futurexXziroXx has a brilliant futurexXziroXx has a brilliant futurexXziroXx has a brilliant futurexXziroXx has a brilliant futurexXziroXx has a brilliant futurexXziroXx has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to xXziroXx Send a message via MSN to xXziroXx
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inverness View Post
We don't need two wikis. Find a way to get access to Graal Bible without paying since you don't want to do that.
Exactly. Another, inofficial wiki, would create even more inconsistency around Graal.

Seriously, you're able to edit the wiki to suit your needs, so do it. If you don't have access, start trying to convince Stefan to give non-Gold accounts access.

"A delayed game is eventually good, but a rushed game is forever bad." - Shigeru Miyamoto
Old 12-05-2008, 08:42 PM
Somewhat rusty
Loriel is a name known to allLoriel is a name known to allLoriel is a name known to allLoriel is a name known to all
Yeah inofficial wikis are the worst idea ever

believe me
Old 12-06-2008, 12:12 AM
master of infinite loops
LoneAngelIbesu has a spectacular aura aboutLoneAngelIbesu has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to LoneAngelIbesu
If people don't want to use the wiki that I've set up, then they don't have to. Continue to use the Graal Bible. I find it incredibly funny that people against other wikis say that we should just make the Graal Bible better, when they can be doing just that at any time, yet aren't.

As far as I'm concerned, Skyld's GScript Wiki was an infinitely better learning tool than the Graal Bible. That's what I'm trying to recreate right now, so that new developers can have the same tool that I had when I was learning. I'm not going to wait however many months it's going to take to gain access to a wiki that should be free in the first place, when I have the resources to recreate the GScript Wiki today.
Old 12-06-2008, 12:26 AM
Master of Puppets
xXziroXx has a brilliant futurexXziroXx has a brilliant futurexXziroXx has a brilliant futurexXziroXx has a brilliant futurexXziroXx has a brilliant futurexXziroXx has a brilliant futurexXziroXx has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneAngelIbesu View Post
I find it incredibly funny that people against other wikis say that we should just make the Graal Bible better, when they can be doing just that at any time, yet aren't,
I'd be willing to bet that I've contributed a heck of a lot more to the Graal Bible, or even Skyld's wiki, then you have.

"A delayed game is eventually good, but a rushed game is forever bad." - Shigeru Miyamoto
Old 12-06-2008, 01:26 AM
master of infinite loops
LoneAngelIbesu has a spectacular aura aboutLoneAngelIbesu has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by xXziroXx View Post
I'd be willing to bet that I've contributed a heck of a lot more to the Graal Bible, or even Skyld's wiki, then you have.
That's true, but I wasn't contesting who's contributed what and how much.
Old 12-06-2008, 01:30 AM
The Cat
Tigairius has a brilliant futureTigairius has a brilliant futureTigairius has a brilliant futureTigairius has a brilliant futureTigairius has a brilliant futureTigairius has a brilliant futureTigairius has a brilliant futureTigairius has a brilliant future
Quote:
give non-Gold accounts access.
The only way that would work out, in my opinion, would be to hire a few wiki moderators to keep people from posting bad things & ban wiki accounts.

“Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars.”
Old 12-06-2008, 02:03 AM
Master of Puppets
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigairius View Post
The only way that would work out, in my opinion, would be to hire a few wiki moderators to keep people from posting bad things & ban wiki accounts.
Beats having two wikis any day.

Old 12-06-2008, 02:16 AM
master of infinite loops
Quote:
Beats having two wikis any day.
It's not really "having two wikis", in the sense of redundancy. A wiki solely for GScript is bound to be superior to one that's about 100 different topics, from quality of content, to ease of navigation.

The "documentation" on the Graal Bible is really just a reference book for people that already know what they're doing, and know how to navigate through that wiki. It's useful to have, for example, just a list of clientside functions, instead of having to go through a clientside function category to find the one page that has the function you need. New scripters, though, need a full page explanation.

The GScript wiki is for all scripters, old and new, who need thoroughly explained examples of how to use certain functions, language constructs, etc. This is why Skyld created his wiki in the first place, if I'm not mistaken.
Old 12-06-2008, 03:18 AM
Incubator
Inverness is a jewel in the roughInverness is a jewel in the rough
So who's asked Stefan about giving access to classic accounts?
Old 12-06-2008, 03:30 AM
master of infinite loops
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inverness View Post
So who's asked Stefan about giving access to classic accounts?
There was a topic about it somewhere...
Old 12-06-2008, 11:05 PM
master of infinite loops
Update: there was a problem with the server that I was hosted on. The wiki should be back up within 24 hours, if no data has been deleted. I wasn't able to create a back up, so there's no guarantee.
Old 12-07-2008, 12:44 AM
ǝɔɐɹq ʎןɹnɔ
Crow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
The "documentation" on the Graal Bible is really just a reference book for people that already know what they're doing, and know how to navigate through that wiki.
You might be right about that. But I think this is the same for every coding language. You need to learn the basics, and then you just need a manual/documentation and maybe a little help with weird problems here and there.
The Graal Bible is the documentation of basically everything. What you want to do is explain everything even more, to "help newbies". I don't even think it helps them. If you want to help people who are new to coding, teach them the basics, and make them get used to using the manual(s).
Old 12-07-2008, 02:31 AM
master of infinite loops
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crow View Post
You might be right about that. But I think this is the same for every coding language. You need to learn the basics, and then you just need a manual/documentation and maybe a little help with weird problems here and there.

The Graal Bible is the documentation of basically everything. What you want to do is explain everything even more, to "help newbies". I don't even think it helps them. If you want to help people who are new to coding, teach them the basics, and make them get used to using the manual(s).
I think that's rather ridiculous. I have things to get done, and sitting around and teaching people all day, when they can teach themselves, is not one of them. When I was first learning GS2, Inverness pointed me to the Graal Bible. The only thing it helped for was GUIs. I found Skyld's wiki on the GScript page, and it was that wiki which provided the best information for me.

When I learning PHP, I used separate websites that gave in-depth explanations and examples. Now that I have a good handle on it, I simply use PHP's online reference (which is just a list of functions and an explanation of their parameters, etc). The same applies to GS2, really.
Old 12-07-2008, 01:16 PM
ǝɔɐɹq ʎןɹnɔ
Crow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
I think that's rather ridiculous. I have things to get done, and sitting around and teaching people all day, when they can teach themselves, is not one of them. When I was first learning GS2, Inverness pointed me to the Graal Bible. The only thing it helped for was GUIs. I found Skyld's wiki on the GScript page, and it was that wiki which provided the best information for me.

When I learning PHP, I used separate websites that gave in-depth explanations and examples. Now that I have a good handle on it, I simply use PHP's online reference (which is just a list of functions and an explanation of their parameters, etc). The same applies to GS2, really.
You don't have to personally teach them. You can use your wiki, or the Graal Bible.
Old 12-12-2008, 10:32 AM
Pelikano has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Crow is right.
Somehow. :P