Go Back   Graal Forums > PlayerWorlds > Era Main Forum
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-12-2011, 10:06 PM
Sinkler is a jewel in the roughSinkler is a jewel in the rough
Send a message via AIM to Sinkler
Quote:
Originally Posted by Venom_Fish View Post
-To be quite frank, I don't recall any success from Regency Theatre.

-Scotland Yard was an organization/concept that ended in failure, repeatedly.
You'd have been better off mentioning Section 31, since that didn't fail nearly as many times as Scotland Yard.

- Stop beating yourself, allow me.

-In pertinence to organized workplace, the conclusion is that he failed.
In your world, nothing causes another, therefore the reasons for his failure are absolutely irrelevant.

Seeing as I'm always educating you...here we go again.
Completion and success are two different things.
Not sure (don't recall), he may have "finished" Regency, but I doubt it can be considered a success.

In short, just because you finished something, doesn't make it successful.

Success: The favorable or prosperous termination of attempts or endeavors.

Complete: Having all parts or elements; lacking nothing; whole; entire; full

Completion is a requirement for success. However, completion doesn't require nor does it mean success.

To water it down for you: You can finish a test and still fail (unsuccessful).

As you can see, these are separate. Alec's attempts were unsuccessful (failure). Complete? I don't know and nor do I care.
In regards to Regency Theatre, it was quite well received. The public commonly attended their performances and was an excellent time to see what Era's talent has to show. How do I know this? I was a part of the Regency Theatre, and therefore I saw it first hand.

Scotland Yard was quite controversial due to certain rights they had and no one else had. For example, their right to have handcuffs (an idea that some organizations had in the past, SY was able to get it).

Alec's ideas were centered around role-playing, but this wasn't good enough for the Era Staff as they felt Era was about PKing -only-, thus leading to opposition towards Alec and a few others. However, I've come to believe that an addition of role-playing on Era is not impossible, merely improbable due to the staff's idea of PKing only.

I will use the Merriam-Webster dictionary to define success, as I trust its definitions.

Success: obsolete : outcome, result.

Therefore, under this definition provided by Merriam-Webster, we can clearly see that these were all a result of Alec's ideas, and thus successful. Now of course, was it favorable? In my opinion, yes. Regency Theatre and Scotland Yard garnered a lot of public praise (and negative praise), even Morgrim wanted to recreate Scotland Yard (as a Gang).

Because of the public approval of some of his works, I argue that he was in fact successful. Was he perfect? God no. Was he the best manager Era has seen? Probably not. But he was by no means a huge failure that you are proclaiming.

If you need to get in contact with me, please send an e-mail to: [email protected]

"He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that."

-John Stuart Mill
Old 07-12-2011, 10:22 PM
Posting The Truth
Supaman771 is a glorious beacon of lightSupaman771 is a glorious beacon of lightSupaman771 is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinkler View Post
In regards to Regency Theatre, it was quite well received. The public commonly attended their performances and was an excellent time to see what Era's talent has to show. How do I know this? I was a part of the Regency Theatre, and therefore I saw it first hand.

Scotland Yard was quite controversial due to certain rights they had and no one else had. For example, their right to have handcuffs (an idea that some organizations had in the past, SY was able to get it).

Alec's ideas were centered around role-playing, but this wasn't good enough for the Era Staff as they felt Era was about PKing -only-, thus leading to opposition towards Alec and a few others. However, I've come to believe that an addition of role-playing on Era is not impossible, merely improbable due to the staff's idea of PKing only.

I will use the Merriam-Webster dictionary to define success, as I trust its definitions.

Therefore, under this definition provided by Merriam-Webster, we can clearly see that these were all a result of Alec's ideas, and thus successful. Now of course, was it favorable? In my opinion, yes. Regency Theatre and Scotland Yard garnered a lot of public praise (and negative praise), even Morgrim wanted to recreate Scotland Yard (as a Gang).

Because of the public approval of some of his works, I argue that he was in fact successful. Was he perfect? God no. Was he the best manager Era has seen? Probably not. But he was by no means a huge failure that you are proclaiming.
Lol Regency and SY...

Both could be completed in a week (two?) tops, it's not a huge.. great.. awesome thing. Using those to landmark a managership is pretty pitiful.

Neither still exist thus they were failures and did little-nothing to shape Era or remain fruitful (As I've yet to see a single person say.. 'Oh remember when Regency was open?.. We need something like that back!').

GC had a Scotland Yard party for a year or longer, thus it was created into a Gang when he became the GBA. I doubt the Scotland Yard you're mentioning had a huge (or any?) impact to cause him to create a gang of it. (Not to mention the Gang failed as well)

If you want to role-play go to Val. (As we all see how well that server worked out..)
And I've never even heard of Alec.. so I assume he was forgetful or a bad manager.

Just a thought though, but if your staff oppose you then why don't you get new ones? Or maybe they were right in opposing you and you couldn't find any others...

Hrm?
Old 07-12-2011, 10:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supaman771 View Post
Lol Regency and SY...

Both could be completed in a week (two?) tops, it's not a huge.. great.. awesome thing. Using those to landmark a managership is pretty pitiful.

Neither still exist thus they were failures and did little-nothing to shape Era or remain fruitful (As I've yet to see a single person say.. 'Oh remember when Regency was open?.. We need something like that back!').

GC had a Scotland Yard party for a year or longer, thus it was created into a Gang when he became the GBA. I doubt the Scotland Yard you're mentioning had a huge (or any?) impact to cause him to create a gang of it. (Not to mention the Gang failed as well)

If you want to role-play go to Val. (As we all see how well that server worked out..)
And I've never even heard of Alec.. so I assume he was forgetful or a bad manager.

Just a thought though, but if your staff oppose you then why don't you get new ones? Or maybe they were right in opposing you and you couldn't find any others...

Hrm?
The reason Alec wouldn't go on a firing spree on Era would be because he didn't want to attain the reputation of firing anyone who disagrees with him.
Obviously, reputations like that are not positively received, and on Era, would be the quick end of his reign.

In regards to your argument stating role-playing is to only be played on Valikorlia, I can argue that both can co-exist on Era, and players need not be required to travel to Valikorlia to role-play. It's not something Era is knowledgeable about, but when it has been implemented in the past it has been positively received by most.

In regards to the landmarks, I was simply using them as an example of what he has accomplished. He pioneered a reset, which of course is what Era believes is the solution to every problem, and it was a solution for a while.

If you need to get in contact with me, please send an e-mail to: [email protected]

-John Stuart Mill
Old 07-12-2011, 10:44 PM
Posting The Truth
Supaman771 is a glorious beacon of lightSupaman771 is a glorious beacon of lightSupaman771 is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
The reason Alec wouldn't go on a firing spree on Era would be because he didn't want to attain the reputation of firing anyone who disagrees with him.
Obviously, reputations like that are not positively received, and on Era, would be the quick end of his reign.

In regards to your argument stating role-playing is to only be played on Valikorlia, I can argue that both can co-exist on Era, and players need not be required to travel to Valikorlia to role-play. It's not something Era is knowledgeable about, but when it has been implemented in the past it has been positively received by most.

In regards to the landmarks, I was simply using them as an example of what he has accomplished. He pioneered a reset, which of course is what Era believes is the solution to every problem, and it was a solution for a while.
What? I didn't say he had to fire anyone. Or that anyone had to agree with him...
I said he should hire staff (obviously with similar ambitions) that would allow him to further reach his goals and improve Era in his vision. Plus that doesn't even make sense, he doesn't have to fire them for disagreeing with him.. he can fire them simply because they refuse to do what he says (ie. not doing their job).

Nor did I say ONLY ON VAL. I just said you can easily go there if RPing is what you require... Era is too dumb to RP anyway. (referring to a player-base revolving around PKing and 'free plz')

The only other thing you can come up with is a reset? What a great attempt to fix everything! 'Lets add some RPing and reset the server; problem solved'.

Just from what you say, I can concur that he was indeed (if not a failure) bad at his job.
Old 07-12-2011, 10:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supaman771 View Post
What? I didn't say he had to fire anyone. Or that anyone had to agree with him...
I said he should hire staff (obviously with similar ambitions) that would allow him to further reach his goals and improve Era in his vision. Plus that doesn't even make sense, he doesn't have to fire them for disagreeing with him.. he can fire them simply because they refuse to do what he says (ie. not doing their job).

Nor did I say ONLY ON VAL. I just said you can easily go there if RPing is what you require... Era is too dumb to RP anyway.

The only other thing you can come up with is a reset? What a great attempt to fix everything! 'Lets add some RP and reset the server, problem solved'.

Just from what you say, I can concur that he was indeed (if not a failure) bad at his job.
The point I was trying to make is that Alec is not a failure. In my conclusion I stated earlier, Alec may not have been Era's best manager but he was not a failure.

The point of this thread was to state who your favorite staff member was, not who was the best staff member. Not everyone is going to agree with Alec being their favorite manager or even favorite staff member. In addition to his works on Era, he was interesting and quite fun to talk to and therefore I enjoyed him personally and as a staff member. However, not everyone is going to agree.

-John Stuart Mill
Old 07-12-2011, 11:04 PM
Posting The Truth
Quote:
The point I was trying to make is that Alec is not a failure. In my conclusion I stated earlier, Alec may not have been Era's best manager but he was not a failure.

The point of this thread was to state who your favorite staff member was, not who was the best staff member. Not everyone is going to agree with Alec being their favorite manager or even favorite staff member. In addition to his works on Era, he was interesting and quite fun to talk to and therefore I enjoyed him personally and as a staff member. However, not everyone is going to agree.
Oh! I get it now, you're just defending him because he was your favorite.

Topic: Nich, Zeus, and Scoper are my favorites (current.. in that order).

Nich - Because he restored me. <3
Zeus - Because he reset me. <3
Scoper - Because hes fun as hell to troll/complain to. Kid legit always responds .

(All time? no order) William and Chris.
Wil - Because he always did what he said he was going to, perfectly, despite all criticism. With little to no rights might I add.
Chris - Because he actually tried to do work, constant updates. And he had the balls to ruin Era; twice.
Old 07-13-2011, 04:03 PM
Venom_Fish is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Venom_Fish
Quote:

Gabriel, I've taught you this a thousand times.
Stop copy and pasting things without first analyzing them, your adversary would eat you alive boy!

Merriam-Webster's, outcome is the consequence or relatively, the result of an act. That is one of its listed definitions, which is accurate because AS I PREVIOUSLY EXPRESSED, Success is derived from the result or OUTCOME of an act. It cannot be depicted otherwise.

Using your book, (Copied/Pasted from Merriam-Webster): favorable or desired outcome; also : the attainment of wealth, favor, or eminence
Alec's only success was becoming manager,
thereafter,
none of the outcomes of his projects can be expressed as successful.
The outcome is unfavorable in the eyes of many (apparently except yours).
Furthermore, I've been playing Era since 2002, and to be honest, regency theatre was never in my recollection. No one spoke of it, many never even saw it, and like everything else Alec did, it lasted like no time at all.

Uh, did you just use abilities as a sign of success? roflmao.
God, this is too easy.
They had handcuffs, and still lasted no time at all. Leaving no mark, the business concept was fine but its execution was terrible and certainly not well-received.

Alec was absolutely unsuccessful in his endeavors.
Due to people like him, roleplaying on Era is DEAD.
In this day and age, to not only fail, but help in killing an entire concept, is a term beyond unsuccessful rofl. We call that the worst case scenario.

Era was not founded on roleplaying, nor ever centered around it. Behind-the-scenes guilds could do it and it wouldn't matter, but once you make it a focal and major organization roleplay, it becomes problematic (as show by Alec's failures).

Don't sweat it man, Alec's management wasn't all bad.
He showed us what NOT to do when in that position.
"I returned, and saw under the sun, that the race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, neither yet bread to the wise, nor yet riches to men of understanding, nor yet favour to men of skill; but time and chance happeneth to them all." - Ecclesiastes 9:11

Last edited by Venom_Fish; 07-13-2011 at 04:33 PM..
Old 07-13-2011, 05:45 PM
I think you're missing the point of my argument. I am not arguing that he was the best manager and I don't understand why you're making such assumptions.

I am simply saying he was my favorite Era staff member who was dealt a raw hand due to staff's ever-so distinct factions which caused him to have a difficult time.

Your argument that "I never heard of it, there it must not have been a success" relating to Regency is quite weak and non-unique.

I am simply arguing that he was one of my favorite Era Staff and I never started the argument saying he was a the best manager, that was your doing.

In regards to my argument about "success", I am simply using a definition provided by Merriam Webster. The definition was followed up by an analysis of Alec's management, and I was able to prove he was not a "complete failure" are you're arguing as he has made some important changes to Era (Role-playing ideals, the reset that you advocate for, etc.), therefore was not ability, rather it was the result, which I have proven to be true under my definition provided from the Merriam-Webster dictionary.

Let me reiterate my position, because I feel this argument has been drawn out to something that I did not intend; Alec is one of my favorite Era Staff. The thread is not about who is the best manager or staff Era has ever had, and even then it's the matter of one's opinion. You're never going to show who was the best manager even if you tried because everyone will differ in this opinion.

Perhaps now you understand my position.

-John Stuart Mill
Old 07-13-2011, 07:04 PM
Haha, you're worse at losing than you are at competing.
You stated your favorite manager, Mange made a comment and I said he was a failure.
I never once stated "best manager", no... Alec Sheridan was a failure as a manager.
That was the statement, you contested it and there was where the argument began.

He was not successful in his position as management, fact. All you did was give me excuses that don't change the result.

I have no clue who the best manager is, nor would I make an opinionated argument.
Factually, Alec Sheridan was unsuccessful as manager.
Why would I argue your "favor" of him? It doesn't matter to me if you like apples or oranges. However, I will tell you that oranges hold more Vitamin C than Apples.

Perhaps you now understand the position and may next time learn how to lose.
"I returned, and saw under the sun, that the race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, neither yet bread to the wise, nor yet riches to men of understanding, nor yet favour to men of skill; but time and chance happeneth to them all." - Ecclesiastes 9:11
Old 07-13-2011, 07:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Venom_Fish View Post
Haha, you're worse at losing than you are at competing.
You stated your favorite manager, Mange made a comment and I said he was a failure.
I never once stated "best manager", no... Alec Sheridan was a failure as a manager.
That was the statement, you contested it and there was where the argument began.

He was not successful in his position as management, fact. All you did was give me excuses that don't change the result.

I have no clue who the best manager is, nor would I make an opinionated argument.
Factually, Alec Sheridan was unsuccessful as manager.
Why would I argue your "favor" of him? It doesn't matter to me if you like apples or oranges. However, I will tell you that oranges hold more Vitamin C than Apples.

Perhaps you now understand the position and may next time learn how to lose.
I don't feel that you understand my position. I think you are misrepresenting my argument. Therefore, it has lead me to believe that this argument is not productive and not related to what the thread is asking. If you wish to continue this discussion about Alec, please contact me through forum PM.

-John Stuart Mill
Old 07-13-2011, 07:54 PM
Freedom is not free
The_Federov is on a distinguished road
ohh my goddd I read every post in this thread, why are you talking so much about Alec? Fav staff is the topic, and I chose SNK, because he gave me free guns when he was manager (I don't know why, but he came up to me said "will you be my friend?" I didn't know he was manager, but I said "Yes" and he gave me some guns, Famas, K180's, Neo (I think?) whatever he gave me, I ended up using it to scam Known's MT. so, SNK for Life.
Old 07-13-2011, 09:07 PM
ilovegirlzz can only hope to improve
best staff is obviously Dante55555
Old 07-14-2011, 08:48 AM
Quote:
I don't feel that you understand my position. I think you are misrepresenting my argument. Therefore, it has lead me to believe that this argument is not productive and not related to what the thread is asking. If you wish to continue this discussion about Alec, please contact me through forum PM.
Stop whining. You lose often enough, should be used to it by now...
Old 07-15-2011, 07:04 AM
smasher is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shotoo2 View Post
Articulate? Perhaps.
Competent? Bawhahahahahah.
OMG ITS MANGE!! Mange was a very good staff member, with bl0nk :O
Old 07-15-2011, 08:46 AM
Mr. Steal Yo Girl
Gambet1337 is an unknown quantity at this point
This is an intense argument