Graal Forums  

Go Back   Graal Forums > PlayerWorlds > Classic Main Forum
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-13-2012, 06:57 AM
Bell has much to be proud ofBell has much to be proud ofBell has much to be proud ofBell has much to be proud ofBell has much to be proud ofBell has much to be proud of
I have a simple solution to the problem. Pick a server and don't spar on any other server then you don't know if there is or isn't a difference and all the arguing over pixel slashing stops.
Old 09-13-2012, 09:38 AM
:pluffy:
Crono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bell View Post
I have a simple solution to the problem. Pick a server and don't spar on any other server then you don't know if there is or isn't a difference and all the arguing over pixel slashing stops.
Nah, you see I actually excel with Classic's current HD. If anything, I benefit from it staying the way it is. This is what makes my arguement different, I'm not complaining because I'm losing.

Old 09-13-2012, 11:01 AM
Registered Pirate Ghost
Gos_pira is a splendid one to beholdGos_pira is a splendid one to beholdGos_pira is a splendid one to beholdGos_pira is a splendid one to beholdGos_pira is a splendid one to behold
This might be an issue with GS2 rather than the scripts Thor made. It might only be fixed by Stefan.
Old 09-13-2012, 05:44 PM
Skyzer Zolderon
ff7chocoboknight is a glorious beacon of lightff7chocoboknight is a glorious beacon of lightff7chocoboknight is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via AIM to ff7chocoboknight Send a message via MSN to ff7chocoboknight
Nope.
Old 09-13-2012, 06:10 PM
G2k1
Kamaeru has much to be proud ofKamaeru has much to be proud ofKamaeru has much to be proud ofKamaeru has much to be proud ofKamaeru has much to be proud ofKamaeru has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crow View Post
How does it work better if it's practically just the same thing?
Good question. To clarify my standards -- I compare everything on Graal to The Legend of Zelda A Link to the Past to check for qualification. And right now I think that Classic has the best and most responsive hit detection, which would meet or come close to those qualifications.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crono View Post
You mean what was left of the "default" community? And it's not just UN, it includes iClassic aswell.

The real question you should have asked was "Who cares what people who don't even spar, let alone play the game, think?"
Actually I was making a direct insult to UN players but you can take it however you will.
And to qualify that statement I will back it up by saying that UN players don't value the same ethical standards that Classic is striving for, obviously.
Old 09-13-2012, 06:42 PM
Unholy Nation
Starfire2001 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamaeru View Post
And to qualify that statement I will back it up by saying that UN players don't value the same ethical standards that Classic is striving for, obviously.
What? How would "ethical standards" have anything to do with the current topic, hit detection. Why would UN players not value these "ethical standards"? Also, what?!
Old 09-13-2012, 06:42 PM
Will work for food. Maybe
DustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to DustyPorViva Send a message via MSN to DustyPorViva
Quote:
Good question. To clarify my standards -- I compare everything on Graal to The Legend of Zelda A Link to the Past to check for qualification. And right now I think that Classic has the best and most responsive hit detection, which would meet or come close to those qualifications.
Except it was specifically scripted to NOT be better than default HD, but the same.
Old 09-13-2012, 07:22 PM
Crono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Actually I was making a direct insult to UN players but you can take it however you will.
You're stuck in 2003 mentality.
Old 09-13-2012, 07:30 PM
Will work for food. Maybe
DustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to DustyPorViva Send a message via MSN to DustyPorViva
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crono View Post
You're stuck in 2003 mentality.
But 2003 is only like a few years ago... right?
Old 09-13-2012, 09:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DustyPorViva View Post
But 2003 is only like a few years ago... right?
Old 09-14-2012, 05:24 AM
Venom_Fish is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Venom_Fish
Honestly, everyone supporting this system doesn't spar or even play graal; wtf.

The Hit-Detection on Classic, for sparrers, sucks because you hit people from miles away and receive hits at weird times.

We don't code, we spar. We can't tell you what line you screwed up at, that's your job to find.

You can listen to all these forum-buffs who don't do anything else but talk about graal and rarely play it, but at the end of the day, your spar complex will forever remain barren until you fix this issue.

(Still don't know who makes a completely different system, NOT TO BE BETTER, but just to mimic what already exists).
"I returned, and saw under the sun, that the race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, neither yet bread to the wise, nor yet riches to men of understanding, nor yet favour to men of skill; but time and chance happeneth to them all." - Ecclesiastes 9:11
Old 09-14-2012, 08:39 AM
ǝɔɐɹq ʎןɹnɔ
Crow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Venom_Fish View Post
(Still don't know who makes a completely different system, NOT TO BE BETTER, but just to mimic what already exists).
Because the default one is not exactly customizable. In order to certain things with the default movement/sword system, you'll have to recode it. And then people like you with your elitist bullshit storm the forums saying it sucks, when the only problem is that it's different. That's what most of the community is usually good at: complain about any sort of change made. If you leave that as it is, the players will eventually accept it. So, Thor, I suppose that's your best bet.
Old 09-14-2012, 05:38 PM
Banned
scriptless is a splendid one to beholdscriptless is a splendid one to beholdscriptless is a splendid one to beholdscriptless is a splendid one to behold
Quote:

The Hit-Detection on Classic, for sparrers, sucks because you hit people from miles away and receive hits at weird times.

We don't code, we spar. We can't tell you what line you screwed up at, that's your job to find.

You can listen to all these forum-buffs who don't do anything else but talk about graal and rarely play it, but at the end of the day, your spar complex will forever remain barren until you fix this issue.

Whoa, I take offense. I've been scripting since 2002, I play EVERYDAY and I spar sometimes. Kinda curious tho how you guys are making such a judgment? You guys are used to a level3 shield, where-as currently you only have a level 1 on classic. So you're not as fast. As for hitting people across the level, that's false.. It's just a delay in reeiving the hit caused by player lag. And this happens on the default system aswell. It's just more noticable on the scripting one (for some people). Ex: have you tested against UDP players? I will say that very very few times I get a hit that's 100% legit and it doesn't hurt the player. As if the hit got lost or something. But that happens in the default system as well, tho even less often it appears.

Simply put, your gonna cry our system sucks? What disadvantages do you have over the other player? Since, ofcourse, your BOTH using the HD.. But you can come up with an excuse you want to not lose your spar rate.. go spar on un or something before it dies man.
Old 09-14-2012, 05:56 PM
G2k1
Kamaeru has much to be proud ofKamaeru has much to be proud ofKamaeru has much to be proud ofKamaeru has much to be proud ofKamaeru has much to be proud ofKamaeru has much to be proud of
I logged on to UN last night and it was even worse than it was in 2003, so if my mind is stuck in 2003 then I am not even doing UN proper justice by bashing it enough.
That may change soon though.
Old 09-14-2012, 09:37 PM
Banned
ffcmike has a reputation beyond reputeffcmike has a reputation beyond reputeffcmike has a reputation beyond reputeffcmike has a reputation beyond reputeffcmike has a reputation beyond reputeffcmike has a reputation beyond reputeffcmike has a reputation beyond reputeffcmike has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to ffcmike Send a message via MSN to ffcmike
Quote:
I would consider myself a sparrer, having amassed over 1000 wins and 300 defeats since we began recording stats. Although I do not spar much now, I occasionally get PMs of "Hey can you come to the arena and end this guys streak?". I also have a rating of approximately 2050/77 which consists largely of spars against the winners of spar events that I have hosted.

Quote:
The Hit-Detection on Classic, for sparrers, sucks because you hit people from miles away
This is the expected behaviour, used to happen a hell of a lot more in the past with default when connections weren't so good.
It does not matter whatsoever how far away your opponent is on your screen when you hit them, or how far away they are on your friends screen when you hit them, the only thing that matters is how far away they are on their own screen.

It's a possibility there is something causing a slightly higher delay compared to UN or iPhone, though it might be something completely external to our systems. Plus there is also the factor that a higher number of players on the server seem to be unaware of the benefits of UDP.

Quote:
and receive hits at weird times.
Weird times such as what?
Having seen the built-in code for the sword mechanism, and directly compared ours with default as shown in a video, I'm very certain the basic sword detection is how it should be, and such claims of "the hit box size is wrong" are false.
I even had one person complaining about the fact they were hit while blinking the second they attempted to slash their nearby opponent who was also slashing, which is actually a behaviour that is copied from default.

Quote:
I code, and I spar. Having re-scrutinised the code countless times, having tested spars and debugged the detection countless times, I am not aware of one thing that needs changing. Any change could just as easily make it less like default.

Quote:
Still don't know who makes a completely different system, NOT TO BE BETTER, but just to mimic what already exists.
We didn't make a system to be exactly the same as default and offer no improvements whatsoever.
There are a lot of advantages within our scripted systems that cannot be achieved while using the default ones. Not unless you're able to get Stefan to add it to the client, which unless it directly benefits iPhone, is like dropping a bottled message in the middle of the ocean.

For example:
  1. The invincibility blink that happens when you respawn, preventing spawn laming.
  2. The ability to define quest or event levels to impose certain behaviours. Like in quest levels you can be damaged by NPCs, but not players.
  3. The fact that in spar levels you can damage those with the same guild tag, but if a spar and event level, you can't.
  4. The ability to spar or play events with 100 AP, be hittable, and not lose it.
  5. The ability to walk through your guild mates or those with 100 AP outside of spar/pk/event levels.
  6. The ability to have a customised blink behaviour for events like CTF, a necessity for closed base modes.