Dnegel will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeya View Post
you're*

Old 08-22-2010, 02:28 AM
*Shadow (Convoy)
Crono1508 will become famous soon enough
Take realism out of the context.

Graal is not life, its a game as stated previously.

If this was realism, I wouldn't have used snow and grass inside a house to begin with.

As far as the snow and grass combination in the same level... I aimed for trying to be "different" and looking for criticism on things that "didn't look right" rather than a realism statement.
Old 08-22-2010, 02:50 AM
Extrinsical Anomaly
Fulg0reSama has a brilliant futureFulg0reSama has a brilliant futureFulg0reSama has a brilliant futureFulg0reSama has a brilliant futureFulg0reSama has a brilliant futureFulg0reSama has a brilliant futureFulg0reSama has a brilliant futureFulg0reSama has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crono1508 View Post

If this was realism, I wouldn't have used snow and grass inside a house to begin with.

As far as the snow and grass combination in the same level... I aimed for trying to be "different" and looking for criticism on things that "didn't look right" rather than a realism statement.
If this is the case, than it is a good level. Be happy with it

Careful, thoughts and opinions here scare people.
Old 08-22-2010, 09:52 PM
MrDunne is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by oo_jazz_oo View Post
When you started with "It looks illogical" I was prepared to read a rant about the positioning of the walls.

But to bring up an argument about grass on one level and snow on the other? I think it looks neat, tbh. Of course its not logical, you wouldnt see grass and snow inside.

Oh, and "It's a game". Because, it is. If you want to make levels that are illogical, but look pretty, your free to do so.
Every Graal server is like this in some way. You can't really go for realism in Graal. You can try, but only to a certain extent.

I think the levels looks good tho. Like other people said, seeing those 'tree' images over and over doesn't look all that great, but other than that, it looks nice.
It's that exact attitude that makes Graal look like crap in the first place. Grass on one level and snow on the other looks plain stupid for a functional level. What's the point in making levels if they're not going to be functional? It's probably a bad idea to even practice making levels without function in mind. Hence why 90% of Graal's, namely UN's, levels look like crap.

I think you're trying to justify that, because Graal is 2D and has limited default graphics, everybody should just throw the logic and thought in level design out of the window in favour of stuff that looks good but, on the whole, doesn't function very well.

Maybe I'm being pedantic but there's this rule of thumb in MMP game development where you should strive for a least some level of immersion in the world you are creating.
Old 08-22-2010, 11:23 PM
z0rbi 4 life 🤘
kia345 has a reputation beyond reputekia345 has a reputation beyond reputekia345 has a reputation beyond reputekia345 has a reputation beyond reputekia345 has a reputation beyond reputekia345 has a reputation beyond reputekia345 has a reputation beyond reputekia345 has a reputation beyond reputekia345 has a reputation beyond reputekia345 has a reputation beyond reputekia345 has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crono1508 View Post

Your walls still don't make sense
Old 08-22-2010, 11:36 PM
Rufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud of
Decent level. Only thing that really stood out was this stuff, but they're not that big of a big deal. Perhaps you should recolor the bushes on the snow area too.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	perspectivestuff.png
Views:	173
Size:	162.4 KB
ID:	51541  
Old 08-23-2010, 12:05 AM
Extrinsical Anomaly
Fulg0reSama has a brilliant futureFulg0reSama has a brilliant futureFulg0reSama has a brilliant futureFulg0reSama has a brilliant futureFulg0reSama has a brilliant futureFulg0reSama has a brilliant futureFulg0reSama has a brilliant futureFulg0reSama has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDunne View Post
It's that exact attitude that makes Graal look like crap in the first place. Grass on one level and snow on the other looks plain stupid for a functional level. What's the point in making levels if they're not going to be functional? It's probably a bad idea to even practice making levels without function in mind. Hence why 90% of Graal's, namely UN's, levels look like crap.

I think you're trying to justify that, because Graal is 2D and has limited default graphics, everybody should just throw the logic and thought in level design out of the window in favour of stuff that looks good but, on the whole, doesn't function very well.

Maybe I'm being pedantic but there's this rule of thumb in MMP game development where you should strive for a least some level of immersion in the world you are creating.
Just saying, You're being a tad anal. I think he's saying that graal is a fantasy game and people should be allowed to be as wacky with their levels as they want as long as they're well done. If it's not your taste in level that's cool but try to help him out a lil bit, maybe throw an example his way?

Old 08-23-2010, 01:33 AM
scooter123 can only hope to improve
Well it doesn't have to make sense if its fantasy... You know what, it could be a level inside of a Earth and Ice spirit's house.
Old 08-23-2010, 01:34 AM
z0rbi 4 life 🤘
kia345 has a reputation beyond reputekia345 has a reputation beyond reputekia345 has a reputation beyond reputekia345 has a reputation beyond reputekia345 has a reputation beyond reputekia345 has a reputation beyond reputekia345 has a reputation beyond reputekia345 has a reputation beyond reputekia345 has a reputation beyond reputekia345 has a reputation beyond reputekia345 has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by scooter123 View Post
Well it doesn't have to make sense if its fantasy... You know what, it could be a level inside of a Earth and Ice spirit's house.
Why would elemental spirits build walls and a roof but no floor?
Old 08-23-2010, 05:11 AM
Jazz teh Awesome
oo_jazz_oo is a jewel in the roughoo_jazz_oo is a jewel in the rough
Send a message via MSN to oo_jazz_oo
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDunne View Post

Breaking rules of realism or logic don't make Graal look like crap. Crappy levels make graal look like crap.

You can have a non-realistic looking level, and have it still look good.
Pretty much all of graal is non-realistic, and has little to no logic.
Most insides have walls that curve inward, then back outwards...is that logical? No.

But then if you had an inside that was completely square, people would complain how boring it is.
Old 08-23-2010, 05:12 AM
Extrinsical Anomaly
Quote:
Originally Posted by kia345 View Post
Why would elemental spirits build walls and a roof but no floor?
Because they can float!

Old 08-23-2010, 06:19 AM
*Shadow (Convoy)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rufus View Post
Decent level. Only thing that really stood out was this stuff, but they're not that big of a big deal. Perhaps you should recolor the bushes on the snow area too.
This is the criticism I was looking for, and I appreciate the picture example to explain your thoughts as well.

The area you highlighted red, the level is actually elevated as you can see the staircase at the entrance.

And yes, there's no bottom wall on the bottom part of the level. I don't really like the "floating" walls in outer space style.

I plan on changing the trees on the snow area to white & blue ones instead (haven't got there yet)
Old 08-24-2010, 07:59 PM
G2k1
Kamaeru has much to be proud ofKamaeru has much to be proud ofKamaeru has much to be proud ofKamaeru has much to be proud ofKamaeru has much to be proud ofKamaeru has much to be proud of
I kind of like it, but then again there are things I dislike about the level also.

Totally acceptable as a player house design.

I like the Antago tree branch weird thingies. I really like the fact that you used those, but the placement of them is somewhat out of context. Like maybe you should make recolors of them for context purposes.

And of course I don't really like the walls (they suck), but at the same time, I really believe that you either have a server that follows the ALTTP rules of tile usage or you don't. Classic, for example, had better use the proper wall tiles. Graal2001 pretty much stereotypically does not often, and to a decent effect I might add. Stefan's quest comes to mind, it has very improper tile usage but I actually really like the level design, and if it were to be fixed I would propose that new tiles were made rather than to change the way the level looks to be proper.
Old 09-09-2010, 02:03 AM
*Shadow (Convoy)
Update #2:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	progression.png
Views:	148
Size:	213.9 KB
ID:	51672  
Old 09-09-2010, 02:35 AM
handsome