Graal Forums  

Go Back   Graal Forums > Development Forums > NPC Scripting > Code Gallery
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 06-16-2012, 06:26 PM
David K?
Devil_Lord2 can only hope to improve
Okay, well at least I tried.
I know better to ask you again.

Not once on this thread have you given me any bit of helpful info except to reread the first post.
Which I've done probably three times per try, four tries myself, and two times trying to fix what was already started. We will head away from this project unless Cujo feels he can get more out of you, or he might actually get an actual helpful post.

And that is fine, I did realize this thread was a year old and it may not be convenient for you, I don't recall who sent me the link to it.

Digital Media Artist - David K? </3 (UnLoved)
www.davidkrout.com
www.twitch.com/DavidKkz

Old 06-16-2012, 06:32 PM
Skyzer Zolderon
ff7chocoboknight is a glorious beacon of lightff7chocoboknight is a glorious beacon of lightff7chocoboknight is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via AIM to ff7chocoboknight Send a message via MSN to ff7chocoboknight
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devil_Lord2 View Post
Okay, well at least I tried.
I know better to ask you again.

Not once on this thread have you given me any bit of helpful info except to reread the first post.
Which I've done probably three times per try, four tries myself, and two times trying to fix what was already started. We will head away from this project unless Cujo feels he can get more out of you, or he might actually get an actual helpful post.

And that is fine, I did realize this thread was a year old and it may not be convenient for you, I don't recall who sent me the link to it.
How does one become as obnoxious as you are?
Old 06-16-2012, 06:38 PM
David K?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ff7chocoboknight View Post
Oh good, I finally have reason to justify the obvious, give me two minutes.

Starting off with the first person I was looking for help from:
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbk1994 View Post
You sure seem to have a lot of trouble with search engines

It seems like this script is going over your heads. The class does not need to be joined in any levels. The main NPC will handle that. See how I did the easter map and then modify that to suit your needs (copy the appropriate levels).

Also see how I created new instances. All of that information is in the OP.
1. Two rude remarks after my first post telling me that I am not impotent.
2. Telling me to reread the OB, which who knows, one might have skipped it?

Quote:
I already explained what you need to do in my previous post. Did you ignore the bottom half? This isn't just a copy-and-paste system, but it's not difficult to use if you read the OP.
3. Accusing me of not reading anything he said that was apparently trying to help, which was reading the OP.
4. Telling me once again to reread the OP.
Note: He says that this is not difficult, as long as I read the OP.

Quote:
If you want someone to help you, describe the steps you've taken so far and the problem you're having, concisely.
I was only expecting one person to actually try to help me, and at this point it seems like I had gotten him 'slightly' willing to attempt. It only took a few tries. Once again, for obvious reasons he was annoyed too. And at this point I didn't mind stopping the project entirely since I doubted he was going to help.

Quote:
I gave instructions on how to use the script. It's not intended for those who are new to scripting. As Ziro pointed out, at one point in that video, you tried sticking a script into a DBNPC's flags.

This script clearly goes over your head, which I've told you before. You would be better off finding a scripter to help you out than whining about it on the forums. Some scripts aren't going to be as simple as others.
5. Once again telling my that I am too inadequate to do this.

There was absolutely no help given in my attempt.
(It should be advised to take note I did not quote any other posts since I knew there was not going to be anyone but him possibly able to help.)

I think after many tries, videos, steps that I've taken, it would be enough to either see a flaw, or have a reason to improve the 'said instructions that were given' that had no particular order or help in using.

But you could be right, I somehow doubt anyone on my server could put this together. I might have to find someone only for this.

Why am I obnoxious in asking for help?
I believe on my first attempt, I've given many things I thought 'could' be the problem, and I asked nicely for help. Since my first post I was handled with poor attitude.

Quote:
Quote:
I'm not sure why when I type in "Instance System" or "Instance Manager" I can never find this thread.. That or even looking in the Code Gallery which this thread is said to be in...

Anyway, the problem is... well I don't know...
Cujo started the process, we have a class called "instance" and a class called "intro_instance_map". a

Then inside our NPCs we have InstanceManager.

Inside Folderconfig
level temp/*.graal
level temp/*.nw
level temp/*.gmap
file temp/*.gmap

Inside NPC Server:
r levels/0intro/*
rw levels/temp/*.nw

We both aren't sure what is supposed to happen next, but we do know for the most part that it is not working. This is something we would absolutely love to have for the intro, but he and I cannot seem to figure it out. I just checked today, the whole thing is confusing. The only thing it seemed like I had to do that it did not look like he did was add the rights to the NPC server..

Not sure what type of details are needed..

// class "easter2k11_instance_map"
public function prepare() {
// choose a random map
this.mapLevelName = IntroMapControl.getRandomMapName();

temp.resources = {
"levels/0intro/" @ realMapLocation
};

function onCreated() {
// basic setup
GameInstance = newInstanceTemplate("TStaticVar");
GameInstance.setTempPath("levels/temp/"); // folder which holds resources
GameInstance.setEmergencyExit("shaded_p09.nw", 30, 30);

IntroMapInstance = newInstanceTemplate("GameInstance");
IntroMapInstance.setTempPath("levels/intro0/");
IntroMapInstance.join("intro_instance_map");
}

He joined the class in basically all the levels.. It doesn't use a gmap.. I don't know ...
Can anyone help?
My second try was a little less polite.
However I stated helping and giving more instructions might help others use this as well.

Quote:
Now, since I'm trying to get help, and not argue, lets just say we have tried again, still not working...

Do you, or anyone, mind actually trying to help?
It would be better off to leave out statements like "Check wiki"..

Sure, not many people may need this system, and step-by-step instructions probably aren't asked for due to this fact, however, we find what you've done to be something that could be useful. Whereas we could work around this and do the old style of putting people in a wait room, we would appreciate it if someone could give instructions instead of hoping we can look at the first post and inside the program to understand.

(Point is, not many people might need this, and those that do and don't have any programming experience may not understand any of this since the first post doesn't exactly explain much but what to add...)
The videos afterwards were to be more helpful into seeing what I was doing.

So I ask you, did I not have the right to be irritated?
I'd rather this be answered by a just person.

(Note: I did not add other quotes into my reply since there was only one specific person I thought might be willing and be able to help. So if you were also rude to me, and don't find it achieving that your post was not quoted, sorry.)

But sincerely, I do appreciate that replies were even given and within a day, that was at least one good thing from these attempts in looking for help. No more justification from myself is necessary, and I will not be answering any impolite posts. If there is a desire to actually try to help, let Cujo or I know. Thank you.

www.davidkrout.com
www.twitch.com/DavidKkz

Last edited by Devil_Lord2; 06-16-2012 at 07:17 PM.. Reason: Added my reason.
Old 06-16-2012, 07:17 PM
Kevin Azite
Mark Sir Link is just really niceMark Sir Link is just really nice
Send a message via AIM to Mark Sir Link
Quote:
So I ask you, did I not have the right to be irritated?
I'd rather this be answered by a just person.
ignoring everything else you said, you always have a right to feel whatever you're feeling

you don't have a right to take that feeling out on other people, especially when looking for help
Old 06-16-2012, 07:25 PM
ǝɔɐɹq ʎןɹnɔ
Crow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
1. Two rude remarks after my first post telling me that I am not impotent.
Not even rude. Stop taking things personal. Didn't read any further.
Old 06-16-2012, 07:26 PM
Will work for food. Maybe
DustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to DustyPorViva Send a message via MSN to DustyPorViva
It doesn't matter how amazing and helpful a person is, if they try to sit down and teach me Calculus and I don't have a fundamental understanding of math, they're not going to get anywhere and chances are we're both going to end up getting pretty frustrated with each other for no actual reason [and you're gonna have a bad time].
Old 06-16-2012, 07:38 PM
Skyzer Zolderon
ff7chocoboknight is a glorious beacon of lightff7chocoboknight is a glorious beacon of lightff7chocoboknight is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via AIM to ff7chocoboknight Send a message via MSN to ff7chocoboknight
Quote:
waffling
Ok.
Old 06-16-2012, 10:14 PM
David K?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crow View Post
Not even rude. Stop taking things personal. Didn't read any further.
Okay, telling us that we are in over our heads because we were asking for help for something that apparently needs only the 'basics of programming'-jazz may not be as rude.

However, claiming that I have a lot of trouble with search engines without analyzing the situation, and taking into account I only used the Graal Forums search engine, and it did not show, nor show in the code gallery, I do find rude, unnecessary. The fact that I mentioned it also, was due to my ignorance and and lack of awareness that this was a year old, and it seems like almost everything is now hidden. (I only see about 20 things in the code gallery, pretty sure there use to be more.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by xXziroXx View Post
EDIT: So I watched some more, and really, you need to either take a few steps back or just hire someone that knows the difference between code and flags.
This statement was not rude, and he took the time to analyze the situation. I did have a mistake since I don't know much about the NPC section and why flags, attributes, and script shows three different things. Nor why the script randomly disappeared after it was set, and turned into flags.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DustyPorViva View Post
It doesn't matter how amazing and helpful a person is, if they try to sit down and teach me Calculus and I don't have a fundamental understanding of math, they're not going to get anywhere and chances are we're both going to end up getting pretty frustrated with each other for no actual reason [and you're gonna have a bad time].
I will have to disagree with this one, because this is what teachers do. The other person could learn it over time as well as everything else to do with it.
I would however agree with this, in the fact that I was not asking for him to teach me, but to give step by step details in how it would be implemented. So if he did try to explain what it was doing, which I don't care about, I'd probably be terribly confused.

In my own opinion and ignorance, it seems to me I would have to add an NPC, add two classes, make sure the server options are correct as well as the NPC Servers rights. Then add in the appropriate parts. That is 7 steps.
Maybe I'm totally wrong, I don't know.

Since you did use person, I can't judge and assume that it was implemented to be Cujo and I, so I can only say both Cujo and I do for the most part know, or know some of the basic fundamentals of GS2. As well as math.. If it helps, I've taken fundamentals of programming as well as C programming in college. Visual Basics in high school. I've been doing GS1 since 2003 and started GS2 in I guess 2010. My math is very rusty but I've taken up to trigonometry... twice sadly.

So giving steps to follow, usually called a tutorial, should help in implementing such a system as this, since I believe the objective of the code gallery is to use them if it would help progress the server. Learning is only additional, not an necessity. Meaning some things should be learned, but not necessary.

I however will later be contributing things that I do in the future, like my waterfall, and my beach, countertops, and other things, as well as providing a tutorial in how I did them so others can learn. This type of additional work one cannot expect from many people, and I understand that.

I probably couldn't learn what it is doing, or how it is doing it. I could however learn how to use it. With the given help.

I understand it does not seem like you are taking sides, but you must know that this system does seem, to me at least, that a background is not needed to implement this into a server. I believe the lack of willpower, time, and people wanting it done is the only thing stopping the creator. However, he could have said no, and I would have left a while ago. My feelings probably less opinionated towards them however.

Code Gallery:
For showing complete scripts, if possible with comments.

Maybe they aren't for using, but only stardom, who knows. I believe some people post to help out. However, it does say nothing about them having to explain it, and that is up to the thread creator, which is why I would have accepted a no to helping. Instead of egging me on, and once again instead on hinting that I am inadequate. (Perhaps it is his own personality, and it wasn't personal attacks as someone stated above, then this is only a matter of my opinion.)

But telling me to do it over a few times, asking me to be concise in what I was doing which I did, and then flat out saying I'm doing it wrong and can't do it... is a waste of both our time. He did however hit he might help towards the middle, in which I was grateful for, I'll give him props for that...

The video thing was on my own accord, and I'm not saying that was a waste of time, I did it because I felt it could better help. He did say it was unnecessary which is fine.

Conclusion:
From what I see, obviously if many people feel that he has tried to explain it, and my persuasion and justifications aren't enlightening anyone. Perhaps everyone is right. Maybe this program should not be given to the average Graal community, and it should perhaps be said so, as I once mentioned before.

Explanation of a few things that may be regarded in future messages.
1. I did pass in C Programming, but dropped out of computer science to go into Art.
2. Both Trig and C were four years ago.
3. If I can do a 10 page essay in three hours, this isn't much of a waste of time for me.
I also understand a lot of people are on Graal either to have fun, or even, possibly a lack of education and cannot comprehend long essay type writings, which I do have trouble in shortening due to the fact I feel things should be justified; therefore do not indulge in reading. I don't mind putting what I feel is most important in bold.

I know I should improve on shortening my replies, and it has been hard for me.
(I've probably edited this post about 10 times due to it not being to my standards)

www.davidkrout.com
www.twitch.com/DavidKkz

Last edited by Devil_Lord2; 06-16-2012 at 10:43 PM.. Reason: Added in my history of math and programming.
Old 06-16-2012, 11:37 PM
DustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
I will have to disagree with this one, because this is what teachers do.
That is NOT what teachers do. Sorry.
Old 06-16-2012, 11:44 PM
Banned
ffcmike has a reputation beyond reputeffcmike has a reputation beyond reputeffcmike has a reputation beyond reputeffcmike has a reputation beyond reputeffcmike has a reputation beyond reputeffcmike has a reputation beyond reputeffcmike has a reputation beyond reputeffcmike has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to ffcmike Send a message via MSN to ffcmike
David_K, no offence but people do not want to read your life story. It can actually be more effective to be short and straight to the point than to write a short story every paragraph.
Old 06-17-2012, 03:28 AM
David K?
Quote:
That is NOT what teachers do. Sorry.
@.@;; Okay, fine, teachers do not teach... Some are born with calculus and others aren't...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ffcmike View Post
David_K, no offence but people do not want to read your life story. It can actually be more effective to be short and straight to the point than to write a short story every paragraph.
Yeah you are right, I've heard once when you argue with a fool, onlookers won't know the difference. No point in justifying a statement if there is no will to analyze it. One can only hope?

Anyway, once again, tonight is my last night, so I wanted to try and get this out of the way for Shaded Legends. In doing so I may have gotten it out of the way permanently. Not my intent, but you can't miss something you've never had.

As for the life story thing.. ;D
Another day..

www.davidkrout.com
www.twitch.com/DavidKkz

Old 06-17-2012, 03:44 AM
Master of Puppets
xXziroXx has a brilliant futurexXziroXx has a brilliant futurexXziroXx has a brilliant futurexXziroXx has a brilliant futurexXziroXx has a brilliant futurexXziroXx has a brilliant futurexXziroXx has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to xXziroXx Send a message via MSN to xXziroXx
Quote:
@.@;; Okay, fine, teachers do not teach... Some are born with calculus and others aren't... [/SIZE]
Studying to become a teacher myself, one of the more common things we've been told is that we're not supposed to teach, we're supposed to help our students to learn on their own.

"A delayed game is eventually good, but a rushed game is forever bad." - Shigeru Miyamoto
Old 06-17-2012, 03:49 AM
Quote:
@.@;; Okay, fine, teachers do not teach... Some are born with calculus and others aren't...
Teachers don't just sit down and teach a kid Calculus. The fact that you're not even grasping this is a little worrying.
Old 06-17-2012, 03:49 AM
David K?
Quote:
Originally Posted by xXziroXx View Post
Studying to become a teacher myself, one of the more common things we've been told is that we're not supposed to teach, we're supposed to help our students to learn on their own.
Because I like philosophy, I'm going to message you to discuss that further since it is off topic.

Quote:
Teachers don't just sit down and teach a kid Calculus. The fact that you're not even grasping this is a little worrying.
Since you never mentioned the word trying, or factored in any amount of time given, or other information, I can't say there 'should' be much to talk about further... The only problem is I can... And it is hard not to. If you want, I can message you what a tutor, the willpower to learn, and even books can do...

www.davidkrout.com
www.twitch.com/DavidKkz

Last edited by Devil_Lord2; 06-17-2012 at 04:00 AM..
Old 06-17-2012, 03:59 AM
Skyzer Zolderon
Quote:
Quote:
taking into account I only used the Graal Forums search engine, and it did not show, nor show in the code gallery, I do find rude, unnecessary. The fact that I mentioned it also, was due to my ignorance and and lack of awareness that this was a year old, and it seems like almost everything is now hidden.
Quote #1 don't forget to bold something mash the keyboard until your hand hurts slap on a band-aid and let's bold this part too

just gonna toss in the definition of a word now

aph·ro·dis·i·ac:
A food, drink, or drug that stimulates sexual desire.
A thing that causes excitement.

yup

Quote:
I don't know much about the NPC section and why flags, attributes, and script shows three different things. Nor why the script randomly disappeared after it was set, and turned into flags.

I will have to disagree with this one, because this is what teachers do. The other person could learn i
Quote#2 it's random.
There was this one time that I bolding this part here fell down the stairs. It was painful. That's kind of how I feel when you post. booooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooold Never forget to bold randomly. ever

Quote:
gramming as well as C programming in college. Visual Basics in high school. I've been doing GS1 since 2003 and started GS2 in I guess 2010. My math is very rusty but I've taken up to trigonometry... twice sadly.

So giving steps to follow, usually called a tutorial, should help in implementing such a system as this, since I believe the objective of the code gallery is to use them if it would help progress the server. Learning is only addit
Learning is hard. Especially when you can only think in large paragraphs and always feel the need to explain yourself (just like Bayne). :U wuuuuuuuuuut

random video

Quote:
Conclusion:
From what I see, obviously if many people feel that he has tried to explain it, and my persuasion and justifications aren't enlightening anyone. Perhaps everyone is right. Maybe this program should not be given to the average Graal community, and it should perhaps be said so, as I once mentioned before.
Conclusion
"Most people in this room are playing their cards, Lex Veldhuis is playing poker"

every post needs at least two videos

Why does that quote fit in here? It doesn't, but nobody is going to read my post just like nobody reads your posts.

Quote: