FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-09-2010, 05:53 PM
Gladius
BlackSolider will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to BlackSolider
Thoughts on GCs?

Hey guys,

I know it's going to be a while before things get into full swing hopefully, and specifics about events/prizes/etc aren't finalized yet, but I would like to get some thoughts on GCs in general.

Based on your past experiences on Classic, what would you like to see different, remain the same, or possible new additions to GCs + events?

Any constructive feedback is appreciated.
Old 02-09-2010, 08:55 PM
Kevin Azite
Mark Sir Link is just really niceMark Sir Link is just really nice
Send a message via AIM to Mark Sir Link
remove all the GCs since they suck anyway and use automated hosting
Old 02-09-2010, 09:26 PM
Lemmy Koopa (Koopalings)
EclipsedAngel has a spectacular aura about
Add Pit and GC island back please
Old 02-09-2010, 10:38 PM
Doctor Who?
jacob_bald6225 is a splendid one to beholdjacob_bald6225 is a splendid one to beholdjacob_bald6225 is a splendid one to beholdjacob_bald6225 is a splendid one to beholdjacob_bald6225 is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Sir Link View Post
remove all the GCs since they suck anyway and use automated hosting
Being a GC reminds me of George Jetson's button pushing job on the Jetsons.
Old 02-09-2010, 11:05 PM
Prince
MysticX2X will become famous soon enough
GC masses should be limited to announcing/recapping an event. Things like wanting more people for an event would be suitable for a GUI.

I'd like to see more use of automated commands for collecting players and starting an event. The creativity of the GC tool should still remain but some studio events could be better scripted to make the hosting process more efficient. (i.e events like fortbuilder)

Return of the merit chart so people like Clel can't take advantage!

former acc: mystic2k

RIP Matt (NBK)
Old 02-10-2010, 12:16 AM
Kevin Azite
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacob_bald6225 View Post
Being a GC reminds me of George Jetson's button pushing job on the Jetsons.
ya dude, whenever a GC hosted for the last 3-4 years it wasn't "oh man, x hosted a killer sumo by doing blah", it was "I can't remember who just said start and stop a few times and it was really boring"
Old 02-10-2010, 05:56 AM
Banned
ffcmike has a reputation beyond reputeffcmike has a reputation beyond reputeffcmike has a reputation beyond reputeffcmike has a reputation beyond reputeffcmike has a reputation beyond reputeffcmike has a reputation beyond reputeffcmike has a reputation beyond reputeffcmike has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to ffcmike Send a message via MSN to ffcmike
Of course the tool and it's utilities should allow for some flexibility and creativity should the GC have an idea, but the main point behind automated events is that they are generally the preferred events and that automation speeds them up.

As an example it would often be frustrating when it took up to 10 minutes to actually begin playing a CTF, our current GUI based summoning setup should save a bit of time, as should GUI based options for the GC albeit more slight, perhaps an option for automatic team selection (shouldn't be forced) tied in with statistics would cut down potential delays further,
Old 02-10-2010, 07:07 AM
Cake'd
Nataxo is a glorious beacon of lightNataxo is a glorious beacon of lightNataxo is a glorious beacon of light
Get Glad on the GC team fo sho

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticX2X View Post
GC masses should be limited to announcing/recapping an event. Things like wanting more people for an event would be suitable for a GUI.
this is something that called my attention a lot when I played classic. GCs used masses for everything.
Old 02-10-2010, 07:11 AM
Banned
WhiteDragon is a splendid one to beholdWhiteDragon is a splendid one to beholdWhiteDragon is a splendid one to beholdWhiteDragon is a splendid one to beholdWhiteDragon is a splendid one to behold
I think it would be worth pointing out we already have a GUI for starting/joining events.
Old 02-10-2010, 07:17 AM
DarkCloud_PK is a jewel in the roughDarkCloud_PK is a jewel in the rough
I like the concept of GC, it is an excellent system that brings a level of creativity, uniqueness, and variety into events(provided the GC didn't blow and/or barely used their GC tool to spice an event up), that a scripted automated event hosting system just can't provide. But with all concepts with anything, they have to be implemented and maintained properly to survive.

This wasn't done, who's to blame?

First, you have the LAT Admins that would dramatically change the direction of the server or needlessly redo the scripts of the previous admins(sup Hell Raven). I think you can quote me saying "we've had more movement systems than quests", whats sad is, what I said was true. This stagnated the speed of development of non event content dramatically, stagnating anything not related to events.

Then, you have Storm, who allowed every LAT Admin, and GC Dev dept.(I admit we really shouldn't have made the GC practically all the content of the server), to take full control of the overall developmental direction the server went Master Storm did barely any of his duties he should as a Manager, both from chronic inactivity and his indecisiveness.

I personally think the say regarding the servers direction should be equal parts of the LAT Admin, Manager, and players general opinions. But anyway.

I guess you have to blame some of it on Night somehow being stupid enough to work his admin position for 100 years or so and getting lucky and nabbing good devs plus getting help elsewhere every once and awhile. This allowed GC development to maintain a consistent direction and fairly frequent updates while the main development team lagged behind.

~DC
2001-2002 - Classic FAQ Administrator/Special Operations Administrator
2005 - 2009 - GC Dev Admin
2009 - Classic Dev Admin Stint
Old 02-11-2010, 12:57 AM
Gladius
CTF sumo hosted today.

Outside of two players not being able to see the flag at one point (fixed by r/cing,) it went pretty well.
Old 02-11-2010, 01:27 AM
RIP DarkCloud_PK
maximus_asinus has a reputation beyond reputemaximus_asinus has a reputation beyond reputemaximus_asinus has a reputation beyond reputemaximus_asinus has a reputation beyond reputemaximus_asinus has a reputation beyond reputemaximus_asinus has a reputation beyond reputemaximus_asinus has a reputation beyond reputemaximus_asinus has a reputation beyond reputemaximus_asinus has a reputation beyond reputemaximus_asinus has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkCloud_PK View Post
The GC bringing the ability to make unique events. I stress ability because though there was certainly ability, no one was willing to go out of their comfort zone and actually host a unique event. Eventually it degenerated to the point GCs hosted events with a strict structure in place and nothing else. Games like Bazillion Questions fell by the wayside for events like CTF. When the GC's hand was forced and they had to host one of the non structured events, they'd mess up, and they would use the event's poor showing to continue the event's hiatus. This cycle is what lead to the stagnation of the GC team, and was the final weight to break the server's back.

This is why I hope with the new Classic they use an automated system for events BUT allow GC events to be held as well. With this, there would be restrictions on how many times X event could be held. It would allow players to experience all different games. With this system I would ALSO like player hostable events, which would be as official as either event type mentioned above. The prizes for such events would come out of the player's pocket.
Old 02-11-2010, 01:36 AM
Will work for food. Maybe
DustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to DustyPorViva Send a message via MSN to DustyPorViva
I wouldn't object to an automated system with the ability for staff to host events themselves when they feel like it. I guess the lack of a GC could enabled cheating to happen in off hours and such, which would add to frustration.

In the end though, GC seem to just be human poll takers who tally up who wants to play what and host it. Problem is, if it's an automated system implemented to force players out of their comfort zone, players just won't participate. The only people who benefit are those who do enjoy the less popular events... but they won't be able to enjoy it if the event is automatically canceled because of insufficient participation.
Old 02-11-2010, 02:09 AM
Kevin Azite
idk what this bull**** about skilled GC devs is considering the past 4 years saw nothing hosted besides Sumo, Allstar, CTF, or a spar tourney or some combination of the two like Sumo Allstar, Sumo CTF, bleh.
Old 02-11-2010, 04:06 AM
Gladius
It's easy to say that the GCs never hosted any creative events, because they really didn't.

But let's be honest here. Whenever a GC did attempt to host something different/original (I made a few events, though none ever got hosted that often,) a lot of players wouldn't join. They'd idle in lvl 14 and wait until their favorite events came up, such as CTF or fortbuilder.

It wasn't just the GCs not hosting different events. It was also the players not joining events they didn't love/know. And don't respond with a message like "i always joined any event," because thats A) probably not true, and B) a few people would always join, but not enough to make a fun and competitive event. If you'd rather have a 3 player 'bazillion questions' instead of an 8 player CTF game, then by all means apply to be a GC and host it yourself when the time comes.